Stratton Mountain Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Black Bear Lodge(Stratton Mountain)
The Red Sled(Manchester)
Econo Lodge(Manchester)
Wilburton Inn(Manchester)
Manchester View(Manchester)
Palmer House(Manchester)
Olympia Lodge(Manchester)
View Hotel
All reviewslong trailwelcome centerlift linesunderground parkingski schoolbedroom condogreat ski resortnice villagegreat mountainfive minute walklove seatfull kitchenbase lodgenew englandski tripsun bowlthe main lodge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

Weekend ski trip to Stratton VT with the family (2 adults and 2 children). Stayed at Long Trail House in a studio. Location was great literally across the street - a 5 min walk - from the mountain base. Underground parking was very convenient and the room had a locker downstairs for skiis. The hotel had a heated pool and two hot tubs outside. Room was nicely turned out - Murphy queen bed (surprisingly comfortable), fold out sleeper couch, table, kitchen, fireplace, flat screen and wifi. Little tight for the four of us but certainly better than a regular hotel room (could not get a one bedroom on short notice). Skiing was great - good snow, nice sunny days, plenty of good runs, nice lifts. Facilities were in good shape and the little "town" there at the base had a nice selection of shops (ski gear, leisure wear, candy, a few bar-restaurants). Surprisingly few restaurants. We liked the Waffle House (après ski Belgian sugar waffles) and the Organic Pizza Company. Definitely a family vibe and a large contingent from Westchester-Connecticut- NYC. Everyone we talked to was friendly and helpful. Had dinner at Luna - bit of a bust - expensive, blah food, nice waitress but weak service. We liked it and would definitely go back. Only draw backs were the prices (yikes) and the lack of a nice nearby town (like in Stowe). Access from NYC (3.5 hrs) and the solid skiing will definitely bring us back.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank daddyo-2
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Full review

First ever visit to Stratton, written by a very seasoned skier (15+ resorts). I came with high expectations - some were met, some were not.

Stratton, to my surprise, is not a "family resort". Today, multiple times I witnessed teenagers and young adults smoking pot openly - on chairlifts and along trails. Near children. One particularly disgusting young man offered pot to a group of pee wee's in ski school. I was surprised to see this kind of element at Stratton. Certain mountains (Killington, Hunter) have a reputation for drawing that kind of rough crowd. I thought Stratton was a classier, more refined place. I was wrong. The cute village and the fancy shops and the cozy Gondola are all for naught if you're exposing your children to potheads. It's kind of sad.

I told management about the incident, and they shrugged their shoulders and said "what can we do"? That's easy - hire more ski patrol. I skied a full 5 hours today and never saw a single ski patrol. So there was no one to report the pot smokers too.

And, No, you will not find this hoodlum element everywhere - you'll never find this kind of behavior at Lake Placid/Whiteface, Okemo, Tremblant to name a few.

So, like I said, I was surprised and others parents should know.

It's a shame because the ski school is extremely well organized and the grooming is superb. But when a disgusting pothead is yelling down from the chairlift to a bunch of pee wee's in ski school that they can "have a quick hit of marijuana", and no one in management does anything....well, that just about ends the appeal of a resort for me.

Not coming back.

Room Tip: Don't bring the kids.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ARNYC330
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The main strengths Stratton Mountain Resort have are: four hours drive from NYC, no queues during the week, good structure for winter sports and cheap hotels.
We payed $500 for two nights and two days for two persons including hotel, breakfast, lifts and ski rentals.
The Inn at Stratton is an old hotel but the room was clean with a beautiful view of the woods.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We hadn't skied Stratton in years and I was so impressed by the resort staff. Friendly, helpful and just there to make your ski experience the best was what we experienced from the moment we stepped on the property until we left.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HaphazardGourmet
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Nice place. People are very friendly. I went there with my wife and two kids and everything went perfectly: daycare, ski school, rentals, etc. Very good organization by the staff in general.
The little village is nice and clean with shops, coffee places, restaurant...
The only thing is that it is not that big in terms of number of trails, so an expert skier can be quickly bored if you stay more than one day.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family