“Another Outstanding Trip to Stratton”

Stratton Mountain Resort
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My family and I stayed at Long Trail House early January of 2013. We shared a one bedroom with two beds in the bedroom that worked out very well. Very comfortable and convienent to everything. You can walk to the village lift right across the street and ski right to the road. It took me 3 minutes to get to the lift. In 5 minutes, you can walk, in ski boots ,to the gondola. Coffee and pastries in the lobby, a comfortable great room with leather chairs and incredible view are welcoming to all guests. You can return to this room on your last day.after checkout, relax, get in the hotub, take a shower and change for the dirve homeI My wife, who came up with me for the first time, loved this place. Even my non skiing teenaged daughter, who did not want to come, admitted this place was "Alright" , high praise indeed. This is 10th year in the this property for my son and I, and once again had a great time. Since it snowed several times, the inside garage was a bonus. The skiing was great. no crowds midweek, no lines and plenty of black and blue trails to explore Get to the sunbowl in the AM.and the snow bowl for your last run of the day.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Downhillbill

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I often take day trips to Stratton as I live nearby, in Albany, NY. I have never stayed overnight at this resort, so I cannot comment on accommodations, but I can say that Stratton Mountain is one of my favorite places to ski. The conditions are almost always at least good if not phenomenal. If you are driving there on a weekend I'd park at the Sunbowl lodge; the main base area is crowded and you will have to park further away, but there are shuttles. The Sunbowl is a little less crowded and you can easily ski between it and the main base, just pay attention to the signs. Generally Stratton's weather is pleasant, it is not a windy mountain and it has a good variety of terrain. If you think you will go here more than once get an X2 pass off the web site, it will save you money. If you are under 30 or in college and can go often you can get a deeply discounted season pass- so worth it. Skiing can be an expensive sport so when I go I like Stratton because the conditions rarely disappoint. Tip: get a waffle from one of the little waffle huts- delicious!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KristaJ
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Three of us booked the long trail house along w our triple pack deals, we had a studio Rm 441 and stayed for 3 nights, although it says 4-5 people, in my opinion 3 was perfect, we tried to use the pull out couch which sleeps 2, but the mattress was too springy and bouncy, I ended sleeping on the couch using the extra sheet and blanket provided, i have to say it's pretty comfortable, it's firm and comfortortable. it's a decent size studio w folded up beds, couch, electronic fire place, limited balcony, dining table, kitchen w an island, dishwasher, and a full bath w single sink (I was spoiled by killington Grand's double sink). the room was clean, the kitchen has very limited utensils and small pots, so if u plan do the group cooking bring your own. we did use the kitchen to cook a huge pot of gumbo which lasted us two days, and everything works fine! Overall room was cozy and clean, bathroom was clean and basic, towels and sheets are good quality--those are my main qualities i look into in a hotel room and long trail house had it all. staffs are very friendly w our requests and questions, our internet didn't work and they were following up the next day. It's walking distance to the village and lifts!! there's also a swimming pool and 2 small hot tubs we totally took advantage of during our stay! there's no complimetary breakfast but there's coffee/tea and muffins on the lobby on weekends only. I will definitely go back next season!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

Weekend ski trip to Stratton VT with the family (2 adults and 2 children). Stayed at Long Trail House in a studio. Location was great literally across the street - a 5 min walk - from the mountain base. Underground parking was very convenient and the room had a locker downstairs for skiis. The hotel had a heated pool and two hot tubs outside. Room was nicely turned out - Murphy queen bed (surprisingly comfortable), fold out sleeper couch, table, kitchen, fireplace, flat screen and wifi. Little tight for the four of us but certainly better than a regular hotel room (could not get a one bedroom on short notice). Skiing was great - good snow, nice sunny days, plenty of good runs, nice lifts. Facilities were in good shape and the little "town" there at the base had a nice selection of shops (ski gear, leisure wear, candy, a few bar-restaurants). Surprisingly few restaurants. We liked the Waffle House (après ski Belgian sugar waffles) and the Organic Pizza Company. Definitely a family vibe and a large contingent from Westchester-Connecticut- NYC. Everyone we talked to was friendly and helpful. Had dinner at Luna - bit of a bust - expensive, blah food, nice waitress but weak service. We liked it and would definitely go back. Only draw backs were the prices (yikes) and the lack of a nice nearby town (like in Stowe). Access from NYC (3.5 hrs) and the solid skiing will definitely bring us back.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Full review

First ever visit to Stratton, written by a very seasoned skier (15+ resorts). I came with high expectations - some were met, some were not.

Stratton, to my surprise, is not a "family resort". Today, multiple times I witnessed teenagers and young adults smoking pot openly - on chairlifts and along trails. Near children. One particularly disgusting young man offered pot to a group of pee wee's in ski school. I was surprised to see this kind of element at Stratton. Certain mountains (Killington, Hunter) have a reputation for drawing that kind of rough crowd. I thought Stratton was a classier, more refined place. I was wrong. The cute village and the fancy shops and the cozy Gondola are all for naught if you're exposing your children to potheads. It's kind of sad.

I told management about the incident, and they shrugged their shoulders and said "what can we do"? That's easy - hire more ski patrol. I skied a full 5 hours today and never saw a single ski patrol. So there was no one to report the pot smokers too.

And, No, you will not find this hoodlum element everywhere - you'll never find this kind of behavior at Lake Placid/Whiteface, Okemo, Tremblant to name a few.

So, like I said, I was surprised and others parents should know.

It's a shame because the ski school is extremely well organized and the grooming is superb. But when a disgusting pothead is yelling down from the chairlift to a bunch of pee wee's in ski school that they can "have a quick hit of marijuana", and no one in management does anything....well, that just about ends the appeal of a resort for me.

Not coming back.

Room Tip: Don't bring the kids.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ARNYC330
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The main strengths Stratton Mountain Resort have are: four hours drive from NYC, no queues during the week, good structure for winter sports and cheap hotels.
We payed $500 for two nights and two days for two persons including hotel, breakfast, lifts and ski rentals.
The Inn at Stratton is an old hotel but the room was clean with a beautiful view of the woods.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We hadn't skied Stratton in years and I was so impressed by the resort staff. Friendly, helpful and just there to make your ski experience the best was what we experienced from the moment we stepped on the property until we left.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand Summit Resort Hotel
Long Trail House
Long Trail House
#1 of 4 in Stratton Mountain

Been to Stratton Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!