“Comfortable, but disappointing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vergennes
Emerson Guest House
Ranked #2 of 3 Vergennes B&B and Inns
Bethel, ME
“Comfortable, but disappointing”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night on our way back to Maine. Had a room in the front of the house and found it very noisy because of road traffic, though we were more bothered by noise within the house. Overall, place was clean, but more attention could be paid to dusting. It bothered us to see paint cans around, though we know it is a constant struggle to keep up an old house. Breakfast was excellent, though we wish it could have been earlier than 9am. (Yes, we probably could have asked for it to be earlier, but when you are asked in a very hopeful tone if that's okay, it is hard to be a difficult guest!) Rate was reasonable. Perhaps our biggest disappointment was having so little contact with the hosts - though that might be fine for a lot of people. We tend to choose B&Bs in order to chat with the hosts and guests! Got a great recommendation for dinner.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BellaBaggins
chester1912, Owner at Emerson Guest House, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guests and fellow B&B owners. We welcome your response and all responses from our valued guests. It was an untimely event having a flood in our house that went through 3 floors. The 2 paint cans you saw in the corner of our dining room I should have taken out and put them in our kitchen. I am so sorry that it bothered you. I have been taking moments when I can to complete the painting process. No easy feat as you, more than others know! I am happy to announce that the painting is complete and we are very pleased with the results!! I love the new curtains in the living room. Our other ones got ruined.
As for not being around more, we appreciate that feed back so much. It was a Recital weekend for my daughter and my husband was performing in a musical in New York. I was here from 8pm on and I am sorry we did not connect more.
Every so often we do get feed back about the sounds of the street on the main road. We continue to work on that aspect and we ask our guests on a regular basis, and luckily, most people are absolutely fine. Having said that we listen to all feed back.
We wish you a successful and happy summer.

The owners.

To add some perspective to the room that these guests stayed in, we have some guests currently who come regularly for a iweek at a time and have chosen this very room as their 1st choice.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New Windsor, NY
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed at the Emerson Guest House for one night on our way up to the Champlain islands. The EGH is about a 5 minute walk from shops and restaurants in the center of Vergennes. The owner, Bill, was very friendly and welcoming. There is a large comfortable parlor downstairs. We stayed in the Hampton Room, because it had a king-sized bed and a private bath. The room was large and the bed was firm and very comfortable. The homemade breakfast was really good: fruit, blueberry pancakes, sausage.
Honesty compels me to mention a few negatives. There were a few spots in our room that could have used dusting. Early in the evening we could hear traffic noise from Rt 22A outside, but that seemed to diminish by bed time, and we did not have trouble sleeping. Rooms in the rear of the EGH may be quieter for very light sleepers. The private bath in the Hampton Room appears to possibly be a converted closet and was very cramped; the shower door only opens part way before it hits the toilet. Still, the bathroom was entirely functional, so I'm not really complaining. We were glad to have a private bath.
All in all though, not only would I stay there again, I would really look forward to it.

Room Tip: Be aware that not all of the rooms have private baths. Also, if you are a very light sleeper, a roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We just returned from a short cycling trip around Lake Champlain and spent one night at this charming B & B. The owners are helpful, friendly and knowligible about the attractions, cycling routes and restaurants in the area. We also enjoyed the hearty and delicious homemade breakfast served in the lovely Victorian dining room.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the bathroom so you are not sharing a bathroom with many rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My little sister was running a triathlon in Burlington, and was unable to find a place to stay in town, so she booked this guest house. We were pleased that our room was very clean and comfortable. The owner was friendly and was genuinely concerned that she would be unable to make us breakfast because we were leaving at 5 am for the TrÎ. She was kind and chatted with us for a little bit. We felt very at home and wish we could have stayed for longer!
The house was charming, but it did have squeaky floors. I guess this furthered the Victorian ambiance!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
chester1912, Owner at Emerson Guest House, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
I remember you! I wondered about how the marathon went. We so appreciate your kind words, and we really enjoyed having you with us. All the best! Sue
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The very friendly house, authentic historical wooden building, with historical furniture and dishes.
The real family relation from owner, your are filling as in your own home. The hand-made breakfast was excellent, especially coffee. For short staying - very good choice, for long staying - the one bathroom for all floor is not enough.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Cleveland
Reviewed 10 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here in August 2011. The location of Emerson is great-- an easy drive to Burlington and Middlebury. We were a bit disappointed by the upkeep of the house (cracks in the ceiling and difficulty closing doors for instance) but were comfortable overall here. We did have to share a bathroom, which was a bit annoying when we had to wait to use it. And breakfast (delicious!) was served at 9am, making it impossible to get an early start to our day. We did appreciate the TV and free wifi.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EricandLeah
chester1912, Owner at Emerson Guest House, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
I would like to thank you for your honest feed-back. I know exactly the room you stayed in! The Hunt room! Yes there were cracks in the ceiling and it had been on a list of things for us to fix. You will be happy to know that in 2011 we did re-do the room!! It looks so much better! Also, if anyone has a problem with a 9 am weekend breakfast in the future on a weekend, please let Bill or I know and we will do our upmost to accomodate you!
Kent, Washington
Reviewed 7 September 2011

My wife and I were taking a trip to New England for our anniversary and after spending 5-days in Boston, took the 4-hour to Vergennes. I had a friend who was working at the nearby Button Bay State Park so when I was searching for B&B's in the area Emerson was the top of the list on Trip Advisor and it well deserves that spot.

I called Bill a few times because we were in the area during the time of Hurricane Irene and wanted to make sure Vergennes wasn't affected. He was very pleasant on the phone and even more so in person. He welcomed my wife and I, showed us our room, the "Hampton Room" which was very large and had a private toilet and shower.

The breakfasts in the morning were great. Made fresh and incorporating some great Vermont foods, like Vermont Cheeses and Maple Syrup. It was also pleasant to chat with Bill and his wife Sue.

The house is right on the main road of Vergennes which is highway 22A, so you do get a fair amount of large truck traffic as noted in other reviews, but I didn't find it to be that discomforting, but my wife and I are pretty heavy sleepers.

For the price and beautiful location I would highly recommend staying at Emerson Guest House and look forward to visiting the Champlain Valley again in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vergennes
Middlebury Inn
Basin Harbor
Basin Harbor
#1 of 1 in Vergennes
Inn at Charlotte Bed and Breakfast

Been to Emerson Guest House? Share your experiences!