“GREAT Lattes, super cute!”

Vergennes Laundry by CK
Ranked #5 of 18 Restaurants in Vergennes
Price range: US$3 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Description: Vergennes Laundry By CK is a restaurant and bakery that focuses on seasonal, locally sourced products. Serving brunch, tapas, and wine dinners, Chef Christian showcases his years of experience through his modern New England influenced menu in a beautifully, creative fashion.
Reviewed 12 August 2017

We went on a foliage tour last fall, and followed Route 7 through the mountains all the way up to Vergennes. I was always drawn to the town as my mother lived there about a decade ago, and loved the little Main Street. We stopped in for hot lattes - and we are particular about our lattes - they did a fantastic job. The lattes were well made, quickly made, and reasonably priced. Highly recommended for fellow latte snobs in upstate Vermont!

Reviewed 12 August 2017

I guess this is on my "try again" list. I stopped in on a weekend morning to pick up pastries and bread. Hmmm - was that a chill in the air? I guess I do not "aloof" well in the morning. Anyway - there were maybe 2 - 3 pastry choices and one lone loaf of bread. I kept looking around to see if I was missing something. There was 1 staff person juggling and what I assume to be one of the owners just hanging and largely ignoring everything. People describe VL as a taste of France but it is definitely missing the warmth of patisseries in France.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

People come from New York, Montreal, and even a small village in Ohio to stand in line and anticipate the emergence of a tray of good bread or pastries and then sit community style to devour it while it is still warm. Dinner, which only happens a couple of times a week, is exquisite. The most noticeable visual aspect is that the staff is in constant motion, moving quickly but with clear purpose to keep the baking's time precise and the various sections of the display full of fresh delights.

1  Thank WelshHills
Reviewed 19 July 2017

During the day, the laundry is an awesome place to buy pastries, first rate espresso drinks and light fare (and decadent pastries). But if you are lucky enough to catch them on a night when they serve dinner, oh my - it's like having a 5 star French meal with top wines in an informal cafe. Sometimes the service is a little "French" but the owner and his wife are gracious and first rate bakers and cooks. The fish was divine (striped bass) and the mussels amazing - I don't even EAT mussels but roasted with garlic I couldn't keep my hands off them. They have hands down the best oysters I've ever had, and I'm including 3 weeks of eating oysters in France there.

We had a big group so we literally tried every dish on the menu - each one was a small work of art from the kale salad to the shaved zucchini - everyone around us was talking about the ingredients (do you think this is sorrel or green garlic) - basically it's a gastronomic delight. A top NYC wine guy (who used to live in Vermont) does their wine list so many well priced and delicious wines. If you are looking for top quality food in an informal setting and don't mind bench seating, you will not find a more sublime meal anywhere. Honestly this rivals many of the best NYC restaurants. I just wish they had more regular dinners. As a side note, they have the best bread I've ever eaten.

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Perhaps it was my fault for believing the sign outside, the one that advertised this place as a bakery and espresso bar. I stupidly assumed it would have espresso or baked goods. Apparently it moonlights as a restaurant. The woman (hostess? Barista? Cashier? It's hard to tell when she just kind of stands at the counter looking bored) did not bother to explain that they don't operate as a bakery in the evenings. Instead, she helpfully informed me that they only make the pastry I wanted on Saturdays. She awkwardly took my order and made very little eye contact. No trace of a smile.

Good thing there were candles on the table, or I never would have figured out that I was actually in a fancy restaurant. No real decor to speak of otherwise, but I hear they have good bread so why bother trying to make anything else nice?

Anyway, came in looking for espresso and a pastry, neither of which they had because... restaurant?

I got a coffee. It was good.

1  Thank Heather L