While we have heard of the basin harbor club in the past from neighbors, this was our first trip but won't be our last. Recommended for families of any size and seemed to be great for reunions.
It is located about 1/2 hour south of Burlington VT, just outside of Vergennes, a small, very quaint town. It is right on Lake Champlain. Beautiful Location. We were on the dinner plans that included 3 meals at any of the restaurants at the resort. Good(not great) Food but plenty of it. We are an active family and there are lots of activities to do there. Adirondack chairs are everywhere for relaxing, reading, and looking at lake.
The main building itself where you check in is on the Historic Hotels of America. In the same building is the main dining area, spa, gift shop, and hotel rooms. This is not the marble, grand foyer of modern hotels but harkens back to days of old. We absolutely loved it. Check in was swift and our room was ready early at 1:15.
Outside of the main hotel area, there are lots of cottages, some right on the water and others a little further away. Our cottage was overlooking the lake and had a great view. It was recently renovated and was perfect. A large living room with fire place(sofa and 2 chairs) along with a little nook are where a small dining room table and 4 chairs. It overlooked the lake. There was a small balcony with chair and lounger. Bathroom was on the small side and fit for one. There was a kitchen area with sink/refrigerator. Bedroom was 2 doubles and very comfortable. The setting is rustic. It is not the Four Seasons so one should temper their expectations but it was clean. There was no TV which is perfect to get down to your family. They do have Wi-Fi so kids can still play with phone(unfortunately!) I am not sure if all rooms are renovated but I would ask.
Depending upon where your room is located, it could be quite a walk so if someone has trouble walking, ask about room location. Our room was great, surrounded by gardens and a minute walk to everything.
The activities are plentiful. The golf course is right across from main building. We played it and is a course that anyone can play from beginner to low handicapper and still have fun. There is a gym which we looked at but didn't use and a basketball hoop. There are a couple of tennis courts. On the water, they have a raft as well as an inflatable that you can jump off. There is also a diving board. Nice little beach area. There were plenty of boats that were included or free....paddleboat, canoe, SUP, kayak, little rowboat for kids. We rented a motorboat and took it up and across the Lake which was beautiful. The only thing that I wish they had with the rentals is the ability to rent a tube so kids could go tubing. You can go waterskiing or tubing but they are driving the boat. There also have daily excursions on a bigger boats for 1.5 hours that is very reasonable if you don't want to take a boat of your own. There is a nice bar right at the lake for cocktails. There is also a huge grassy area for croquet /whiffleball and shuffleboard.
They have a very nice, clean L shaped pool with lots of fluffy towels. 12 feet in deep end.
There are plenty of hiking/biking around the property as well as general area depending upon how far you want to go.
There are multiple places for food on the resort and is included if you are part of the food plan which I would recommend getting. Buffets for Lunch and Breakfast which are very plentiful and well done for a buffet but is still a buffet. The Red Mill restaurant we really liked, sit down for lunch and have whatever you want. Think I gained 4 pounds just at lunch. The meals at night are jacket/tie and 5 courses. Very nice selection of food served in main dining area. The food isn't out of this world but is good to very good.
I would recommend this to hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Basin Harbor is a 700 acre resort on the shores of Lake Champlain. Owned and operated by 4th generation innkeepers, we have over 130 years of exceptional guest service. Open for three seasons, Basin Harbor offers a peaceful retreat for anyone who enjoys the outdoors, unparalleled service and a dedication to excellent food, integrating Addison County's over 200 farmers and producers. Basin Harbor's diverse offerings accommodate family vacations, destination weddings, golf outings and corporate retreats. Our recreational menu include an 18 hole golf course with practice facilities, tennis courts, badminton, croquet, water skiing, boat rentals, kayaks, sailboats, power boat rentals and over 40 slips for overnight docking. Our renowned Kids Camp offers comprehensive programming for ages 3-17. Visit Vermont's finest lakeside resort and boat club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo and Expedia so you can book your Basin Harbor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Basin Harbor Club Hotel Vergennes
- Basin Harbor Hotel
- Basin Harbor Resort
- Basin Harbor Vermont/Vergennes