“Quaint & Delightful B & B”
Review of Strong House Inn

Strong House Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Vergennes B&B and Inns
“Quaint & Delightful B & B”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at The Strong House Inn during a Back Roads trip and it was delightful! Our breakfast was delicious, and the innkeepers Were very friendly and helpful- providing a new light bulb for my bedside lamp quick as a bunny! Autumn is a nice time to come - views are spectacular!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
St. John's, NL
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Spent one night at this beautiful B&B, wonderful place, owners so friendly, room very clean and everything about the establishment was so,appealing. Scheduling prevented us from staying longer, but will be back. Area is so nice to visit. Breakfast was excellent and the dining room was so lovely.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
MASS
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Excellent B & B experience, nice grounds, delicious breakfast, clean and spacious room had little balcony and fireplace. hostess was very friendly.
Little town of Vergennes was adorable. Traveled further south to beer and wine tasting.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The Inn is essential Vermont Bed & Breakfast, antique with modern convenience rooms and a very friendly breakfast like staying at Grandma's. The model ships and cars are a nice touch. I stayed here for a job interview, best hotel ever for an interview.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My son and i are on a four day bike tour in Vermont. Our third day of the trip bought us to the Strong House. After 51 miles of bicycling, the Strong House was a pleasant viewing to our eyes.

I've stayed at a few b and b's before, but this one is so far one of my favorites. It is well laid out and very clean and comfortable. The inn keepers were fantastic and made sure we were very comfortable.

The views from the property are spectacular.

I will return

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
delmar ny
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Having driven by the Strong House Inn for many years as we travelled between Albany NY and Burlington VT when I saw the package from Living Social offered I could not wait to grab it. Hugh went out of his way to accommodate us in one of his deluxe rooms (Plantation, in Rabbit Ridge Building). Once we booked I was able to convince 8 other friends to join us for the weekend. We occupied 4 other rooms (2 in Rabbit Ridge building and 2 in the main house). Each room was with its own charm and very comfortable and clean. My only complaint was the pillows.... very soft. But some of our friends liked them so its a very personal preference.

Each morning our breakfast was prepared to order and was both plentiful and pleasantly presented. We had pure Maple syrup with some of the lightest, fluffiest pancakes I've ever eaten!!! Mary & Hugh are excellent hosts, the Inn is well maintained and clean, the bar offerings were excellently priced, Duke the dog a friendly but laid back ambassador and the trails around the inn nice for short explorations. Although I truly love Burlington and its offerings or the Basin Harbor Resort nearby.. I do believe that we've found our "place to be" in this area. We will be back even without a living social package.

There is much to do in the area - if you want to paddle on the Otter Creek (goes to the Lake) or Dead Creek & do not need a tour guide, rent from Riverside Campground!!!! Canoe, Kayak & sm. motorboats. I've never seen so many ospreys as I did last weekend on the Creek.

Take a drive down to Basin Harbor Resort for cocktails at sunset on the lake!!! But do not forget to plan a dinner at the Black Sheep Bistro, or the Park Squeeze (more casual fare). BSB has such a wonderful pricing concept and with the food so good I really wanted to return a 2nd night but am glad that we tried the Park Squeeze for a lighter dinner. Both restaurants handled our group of 10 flawlessly - from ordering to separate checks!!!

Room Tip: The Deluxe rooms give you a bit more space to hang out in but the Standard rooms in Rabbit Ridge are...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We bought a package on living social - two nights, deluxe room, wine & chocolate, and $25 gift certificate. Here are my thoughts:

Pros -

1. Nice and beautiful Room (Seaside)
2. Friendly Innkeepers
3. Cute town
4. Black Sheep Bistro - I know it is not related to the Inn but I got a $25 certificate as a part of the deal to this restaurant and it's a great restaurant! $25.00 would be sufficient for one person if s/he only orders an entree and a drink.

Cons -

1. Breakfast was not high quality and not exciting. I've been to other BBs in Vermont and other states and they are 3x better than Strong Inn. What surprised me is that they didn't provide maple syrup (That's what Vermont is famous for) when they served pancakes. This affects my rating of the Inn because it's a Bed and Breakfast inn.

2. Wine/chocolates were a part of the deal - I thought that they would provide a local wine (there are two nearby wineries) but it turned out to be non-local/so-so quality. The chocolates - just a bunch of truffles made by Lindell. Nothing's too special.

3. While I am glad that I got a good deal ($275) for two nights, I wouldn't pay $210 per night to stay at the Inn and it's too high. Not to mention that you'd have to pay 9 percent tax and 18 percent gratuity! I have been to other BBs and they do not include 18 percent gratuity.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JsalP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vergennes
Middlebury Inn
Swift House Inn
Swift House Inn
#1 of 11 in Middlebury
Inn at Charlotte Bed and Breakfast

Been to Strong House Inn? Share your experiences!