Mad River Barn Inn, Restaurant & Pub
US$195
Official Site
Best Western Plus Waterbury - Stowe(Waterbury)(Great Value!)
US$121
Fairfield Inn & Suites Waterbury Stowe(Waterbury)(Great Value!)
US$195
US$212
US$204
Hilltop Inn(Montpelier)
US$60
All reviewsair hockeyrecycled materialsperfect place for familiesfun gamesapres skimorning breakfastupstairs baraccommodating ownersquick weekendski experiencemad riverfire pitqueen bedmain buildingbig screen tvthis place is a gemcoffee and juice
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My family has been coming to the Inn at Mad River Barn for about 20 years and we have always loved the Barn and the people who worked at it. We loved the uncomfortable beds held up by books, the lack of hot water if you didn’t get back soon enough after skiing, and the sense of connection to mid-twentieth century New England skiing. So we were wary when the Barn changed hands last year. After our stay in early January, we can say that we still love the Barn. But now, we love the comfortable beds, the hot water, the even temperatures in the rooms, the new bathrooms, the delicious food, and the new owners’ obvious effort to retain a connection to tradition. The refurbishment of The Barn is a resounding success, and the new owners, Heather and Andy, incredibly hospitable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Elwen80
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here on a whim from January 1 to January 3 and were extraordinarily impressed!

The newly-renovated property has a modern yet authentically-Vermont vibe, attained in part through the extensive use of reclaimed and recycled building materials. The room we selected was small but efficient, and at $120/night, a great value. The bed was comfortable, the pillow and sheets were fitting of a four-star hotel, the bathroom was spacious and had higher-end fixtures, and everything was immaculately clean. And the wireless internet throughout the property enabled my wife to tackle some of her work while I skied.

An added bonus is the upstairs pub and game room, which featured a friendly bartender, a roaring fire, several fun games (e.g. shuffleboard) and an array of other friendly guests and their families (who shared with us bits and pieces of the inn's storied history). We really enjoyed hanging out here for each of our nights at the inn.

Also worth noting is the included breakfast, better than anything we've had at a hotel or B&B in the Mad River Valley: on one morning, for example, we had coffee and juice, fruit, yogurt & granola, eggs, bacon, home fries and french toast, enough to keep me full for much of the ski day at Sugarbush. It was helpful that the breakfast was served at 7:30am both days, enabling us to eat a full meal and be at Sugarbush South by just after 8:00am (in time for first tracks on the Mall, and later, Organgrinder, on a morning in which the mountain received 5" of snow).

Finally the service throughout our stay from innkeepers Joanne and Andrew, as well as their staff, was impeccable without ever being intrusive, and laid back in way that matches the character of the property.

In sum, we had a great time at the Inn at the Mad River Barn, and look forward to returning soon for another ski or cycling vacation.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed at the Inn at Mad River Barn over Easter weekend 2013. We had a great time. The new owners were fantastic hosts. They let us have the run of the place and do an Easter egg hunt for our kids in the lounge. We spent hours talking with them over a delicious french toast breakfast and heard about their plans for renovation. We followed all of this with a hike on trails behind the Inn. We already loved the Inn, but can't wait to come back this winter now that it has undergone major renovations!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Not sure what criteria James used in his assessment, but I don't see the changes going on there will do much more than put things back the way they had been years before, with of course some updating. Frankly, the building took a beating over the years. There were leaking ceilings and pipes, which beget their own problems of odors and mildew. The there was the outside staircase which got a bit icy now and then, making for an adventure. Truth is, some of this stuff just brought the building up to code. This isn't the Marriott, nor do the owners aspire to be.

I have had some really long conversations with Betsy. The barn was for sale for many, many, many years. She was very particular with who she would sell it to. Just like when she sold MRG. Many developers approached her, but in the end, she went with the co-op model. The knew it would be sustainable and be loved. Why? Betsy is sharp as a tack. She has a compelling business sense. Both she and her husband were very wise in the ways of business success. She sold the business because she had faith that new owners could make it sustainable, loved and maintained. Betsy knew it needed a little bit of "TLC" as the realtors say. The valley doesn't need one more luxury hotel. The funkiness remains and I'll get to check it out this winter once again. I can't wait to see the way the fireplace looked 40 years ago. And the cooking will never change. From what I've seen so far, they are preserving the personality. After all, what really makes the place unique is the people it attracts. I almost missed skiing the second day because I got carried away talking with all the interesting people in the kitchen. I always rated it "very good", because there is always room for improvement.

Room Tip: Take a room in the "annex" if you're a light sleeper or just want to be entirely disconnected.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank billskis
Andrew L, Owner at Mad River Barn Inn, Restaurant & Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thanks for your review! We appreciate your support of the renovations we are undertaking at the Mad River Barn. We think we have the coolest community here in the Mad River Valley, and we love that people enjoy the "funkiness" that is the Barn. We love it too. At the same time, we know that guests enjoy clean rooms, comfortable beds, modern bathrooms, and these sorts of things, and that's what this renovation project is about. It's also about being good stewards of the environment. We were really unhappy with how much fuel oil the Barn burned each year, so a significant portion of the renovation budget was allocated toward energy efficiency. We've installed new windows and insulation, replaced the oil-fired boiler with a geothermal heating and cooling system, and restored in-room temperature controls. All good stuff!

We love the Valley and the people that come here, and we're looking forward to re-opening after renovations are complete the week of Christmas 2013. After we re-open, we will remain open year round, including the pub and restaurant which will be open to the public as well as Inn guests. So if you've primarily visited us in the winter for the awesome skiing up here, remember that Vermont has something to offer every season of the year! Road biking, motorcycling, swimming, kayaking, fishing, hiking... the list goes on an on!

Thanks again,

Andrew & Heather

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I've been going to the Mad River Barn since I first skied Mad River Glen in the mid-70's. I'm now a Mad River Valley resident and it was sad to have see the old house and out buildings fall into disrepair over the years. This past ski season I had the pleasure to stop for a beer on the way back from the mountain and meet the new owners. I sensed their enthusiasm and I just knew they were going to turn around the Mad River Barn. I have been watching the impressive renovations during this summer and look forward to stopping by again soon. The Mad River Barn is back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo