“Awesome place to stay and great people!”
Review of Mad River Inn

Mad River Inn
Ranked #7 of 15 Waitsfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I love the Mad River Inn! Luc and Karen and their two amazing daughters are fantastic people, the inn is comfortable and welcoming, the food is incredible, and the icelandic horses are sure-footed and great fun! I had a terrific time. Coming home after a ride in the cold autumn air to tea and delicious cookies was a real treat. I felt pampered and relaxed and it couldn't have been a better getaway.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann J

Reviewed 28 October 2013

The Mad River Inn is a beautiful country Inn tucked into a beautiful valley surrounded by fields and farms. The owner, Luc, is charming and fun and really makes the experience truly wonderful. His wife, Karen, runs the Vermont Icelandic horse farm, which is about five miles away. There were six of us at the Inn staying during a week-long horseback riding package. Between Luc's hospitality and Karen's knowledge of her Icelandic horses and the Vermont countryside - it is impossible to pick just a few things to review. It was a very unique experience with wonderful people who clearly enjoy their life in Vermont. If you love rustic and beautiful country Inns, superb hospitality in a quiet and gorgeous setting - then the Mad River Inn is for you. Just loved it.

Room Tip: I had a beautiful room on the first floor - two windows that looked out into the rolling fields. If...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CCanadian
Reviewed 20 October 2013

If you appreciate nice food prepared with excellent quality ingredients, you will delight in the meals here! We had not expected such abundance at both breakfast and dinner, and with such beautiful presentation as well. We had the run of the house during our stay and were so glad that we chose the Mad River Inn for our stay.
The Innkeepers could not have been more accommodating!

Mike &Kelly

Room Tip: A room with a view of the Gazebo and hills beyond is nice
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I spent a couple of nights and was pleasantly surprised how comfortable the room was and clean. The owners are a bit stand of fish but they warm up and Karen is wonderful. The only negative was the food. Although I appreciate the don't cook meat the tiny amount of food and no choice was difficult to sustain. We had to eat out. As much as I love animals their dogs begging at the table when we ate was unpleasant.
Overall I would recommend as it is comfortable and clean and a safe location.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Last week myself and three of my friends realized a dream come true to see the beautiful Vermont countryside aboard the wonderful Icelandic Horse. We had a 4 day Trek with Karen at the Vermont Icelandic Horse Farm and stayed with her family (Luc and the girls) at their warm and wonderful Mad River Inn. It couldn't have been more perfect from the great horses, people and countryside to the beautiful Inn. Thanks to Luc, Karen, the girls (also June and the people at the Farm) for a great stay. Great food, beautiful Inn, wonderful people. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Since we were a group of 4 we were given a suite with a shared bath plus another room and bath that...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We've stayed at the Mad River Inn a few times over the past two years, and while it's not posh, it is an excellent B&B for the reasonable rates, with everything we need when staying in the area. The innkeepers allow you to feel very much at home; I don't think I've stayed at an inn of any kind where I felt so completely relaxed, as if arriving at a second vacation home of our own. The breakfasts are outstanding, and eating on the back porch with that lovely view is a perfect departure from the normal weekly grind. And more important than breakfast, the beds and pillows are very comfortable- a critical factor at any inn! Love the family atmosphere and their three adorable dogs, who are among the cleanest and most well-behaved small dogs I've seen.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Have been staying at this Inn every year since 2008. Each spring I travel to Vermont from Canada to ride Icelandic horses for a weekend. The accommodations at the Mad River Inn are fantastic, I have never been disappointed! The food is excellent, the rooms are bright and comfortable, and the inn keeper and his family are delightful. Always a pleasure.

Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Victoria B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitsfield
Best Western Plus Waterbury - Stowe
#9 of 15 in Waitsfield
White Horse Inn
White Horse Inn
#3 of 15 in Waitsfield

Been to Mad River Inn? Share your experiences!