“High Priced”
Review of Ake's Den - CLOSED

Ake's Den
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Akes was a cute little local place that looked like a good place to stop for lunch. There's a bar on one side and tables on the other. Service was good, but there was only one other party in the room and they were leaving. The menu selection was fine, but the prices were way out of line for what we got. My husband had a burger and fries which was no bigger or better than found in other places. I had the chicken pot pie that was served in a small, shallow dish. The chicken was done nicely, but the veggies were few and far between. It was a lot of gravy. Nothing was served with the pie. A small salad would have been nice. Anyway, for a burger and fries, and one small chicken pot pie and 2 glasses of tap water, our bill was $29 without the tip. We should have walked out when we saw the prices, but figured the quality/quantity would warrant the prices. We were wrong. If you want a small portion of very ordinary food, at high prices, by all means stop at Ake's. If none of this sounds good to you, keep on driving on down the road. I wish we had.

1  Thank barbaragwen270

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Ate here 2 nights when ski'd at Sugarbush and MRG.. everyone is so nice the bartender was great... had the cheese plate both nights.. Burger is great and so was the Tuna Steak burger...

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Decided to stop here for dinner one night with the family. We were not disappointed. The chicken pot pie was scrumptious, the rib eye tender, the clam strips eh, but my burger - wow! One of the best burgers i've ever eaten. Cooked perfectly, juicy and tender, and the fries are crazy good. I wish i had cheese curds and gravy cause those fries would make a mean poutine. The service was great and atmosphere warm and cozy. Try it, you'll like it.

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I've been going to The Den since I was a kid. It was always the stand-by for a good meal in The Valley. When it changed hands a few years ago, I didn't think it was as good, but I was so pleasantly surprised tonight, as were my wife and kids. The menu has become more creative and interesting, though they still have burgers. More expensive, yes, but well worth it. Simply outstanding. It also steps into the void left by Egans, and more recently, Easy Street. They have also done some smart renovations that make things feel brighter and more open. I look forward to continuing my relationship with The Den for another 30 years!!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Popped in for a Thursday night dinner. We were quickly seated and enjoyed local brews in no time. Nice courteous staff, lots of charm. French Onion Soup had the tastiest broiled cheese crust we'd had in a long time. Lamb chops were perfectly prepared. Cozy atmosphere in the main dining room, away from the bar and TVs. We enjoyed our dinner at the Den.