“family dinner”

Description: Rustic French and Italian
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“family dinner”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Excellent. Good service, great food, wonderful setting, (not cheap).
If you have a picky eater, which we do, he/she may be frustrated.
Menu not exhaustive or meant for small children, but what they offer is very good.

• Visited December 2013

Rutherford, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I've had the pleasure of dining at Peasant numerous times dating back to last ski season. Every time has been a wonderful experience. The food is simply delicious. On my most recent visit I had the seared duck breast special. It was cooked perfectly. The Broccoli Rabe that was served along with it was possibly the best I've ever had with just the right amount of bitterness.

Other entrees I've had in the past include the Osso Buco (a personal favorite of mine when it is on the specials menu), Ragout (once with beef and once with duck), and Cassoulet. Not once has the food ever disappointed. The food is reasonably priced as well especially considering the high quality.

The wine list is not large, but has a well thought out selection that makes it always easy to find something to go well with whatever you are eating. Prices here are very reasonable too.

The service is top notch. The staff is very attentive and friendly. Chris (chef/owner) even personally comes out of the kitchen to check on everyone's meal throughout the course of the night which is a great touch that shows you just how much they care.

The ambiance is best described as cozy and warm. I've sat in both the main dining area and the bar area and had great experiences either way.

Bottom line - If you're in the Mad River Valley area looking for "simple" food with flavors that are anything but simple, then Peasant is the place to go! You won't be disappointed.

• Visited December 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Wonderful Dining Experience”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Great, warm atmosphere with excellent menu choices. Drink menu was absolutely delicious! I am excited to return.

Visited August 2013
Tupelo, Mississippi
“Disappointment in our trip!”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

After hearing from several locals that this was a really great place although they had not personally been there, we (2 couples) decided that we didn't need to travel far, so we tried it. Fairly small place, and we were sorta late, but did get a table. The menu was very limited, with one dish in each meat group. Menu varies so you don't really know what's there in advance. They advertise local grown foods, which I'm sure is what they offer. I, and one other, had the chicken entree. The green vegetable that came on the plate was not edible. Two others had it on their plates, and I didn't say anything about it, thinking maybe it was just me. They started talking about how bitter it was. Finally we asked the waitress what it was, and she said it was a form of kale that we had never heard of. We looked around, and everybody that had it in the restaurant had it still left on their plates. The man that had the seafood dish supposedly had beans in it. He could find no beans at all, and the dish was very heavy, like a very thick soup, with no distinct seafood taste.
After everyone had finished and waiting on the check, the chef came out and offered another green vegetable, but of course, we were ready to go, and we all declined.
I must admit, that we were tired, and just wanted a nice meal, and weren't interested in lots of drinks, and spending a long time there. The waitress was nice, but obviously the bar patrons get first service. Overall, we were very disappointed and would not go back there. We really felt we were guinea pigs.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank AnneC31
ca492, Owner at Peasant, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
At Peasant Restaurant we describe our cuisine as "traditional, rustic food", emphasizing rural French and Italian dishes. Our menu is always posted on our website and front door. In addition to our regular menu we provide nightly specials.

The green vegetable that was described as inedible by this reviewer was Broccoli Rabe, which is known for it's slightly bitter taste and VERY COMMONLY used in Italian cooking. When I went to visit the table as I always try to do, the customers were still eating, I explained what Broccoli Rabe was and then offered to bring a different green. They declined. Then one of the ladies at the table looked at me with disdain, and asked " would you please bring out something fried?" At that point I turned around sadly and thought "some people just don't get it.
Kennett Square, PA
“Cozy and inviting”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We had a wonderful meal at The Peasant. The service was warm and friendly, the cocktails unique and delicious, and the entrees freshly prepared.

• Visited October 2013