“JUST WONDERFUL” 5 of 5 bubbles

Peasant
Ranked #1 of 36 Restaurants in Waitsfield
Cuisines: Italian, French, European
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Rustic French and Italian
Montgomery Village, Maryland
“JUST WONDERFUL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My first choice for an entree is the chicken Masala with beautiful tiny mushroom slices and a heart winning sauce. The beef ragout is a close runner up for the gold medal. There are exceptionally good choices for red wines, especially the Cahors, and the Burgundy Pinot Noir. All the entree sauces are divine. Sides of potatoes and the vegies sparkle with perfectly cooked flavor. Any dessert is to be selected - have one of each. The warm breads are delicious, and they are both perfectly fresh and perfectly heated. Great table service and the reservation desk held expertly by Mary is first class efficient. Ambience is pleasant and there is only a low noise level.

• Visited July 2014

Anderson, Indiana
“good chicken marsala”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is a nice little restaurant with good food and good service. We ate at a table on the sidewalk out front. I had chicken marsala which was very good. My wife had a rhubarb salad and liked it very much.

Visited July 2014
Dallas, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Comfort Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We ate at Peasant on our first of three nights in Waitsfield. Everything about this place was so amazing, we came back on our last night in town. To start with, the food is delicious and very filling. If you're looking for a fancy presentation and lot of other "fru fru" effects, this isn't the place. That's not to say that the environment isn't pleasant, the service isn't fabulous, or that the food is visually unappealing. Rather, it's to say that Peasant is about serving comfort food that fills you up, not about drawing designs on your plate with the sauce or using a few garnishments to cover up how little food you're actually getting. Being from Texas, I'm very much a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy, so I was a little concerned that I hadn't heard of most of the things on the menu. My fears were quickly set aside though, as dishes I couldn't even pronounce were opening my eyes, and mouth, to new tastes. To top it all off, the owner, Chris, came by our table both nights for a quick chat. We were happy to find out that most of his ingredients are sourced from within just a few miles of the restaurant. That's something we're definitely not used to in Texas. I can't say enough good things about Peasant. The charming environment, top-notch service, fantastic food, tasty local wine, and friendly owner will meet your every expectation.

• Visited June 2014
WORCESTER
“Surprisingly good meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Waitsfield, Vt., is hardly a metropolis, but this little eatery is sophisticated, with a chef that knows how to mix flavors well. The salmon with maple balsamic glaze was served medium rare, over spinach and other vegetables that kept it on the lighter side for a summer dish. The chicken marsala was substantial, with unbreaded, rustic pieces of chicken in a creamy marsala sauce that was unlike others I have had, but still managed to be light. The chocolate mousse ice cream special was some of the best, richest, creamiest ice cream I have had. The meal wasn't cheap, but it was quality food and reasonable for the large, well-presented portions. The chef even came out to each table to check on how the diners enjoyed their meals, a nice touch that showed his pride in what he was doing.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ogden, Utah
“Outstanding food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

If you look at the menu tagged to TripAdvisor (i.e., the one on their web site,) you may think the menu is prix fixe since there are no prices there - it isn't. The prices are on the real menu, but are very reasonable for what you get. I was actually glad it wasn't - there would have been too much food for me. As an example, though, I had the salmon and I believe it was $23 - worth every penny. The bread was flawless, with a nice, crisp, French crustiness to it. The wine, for this type of restaurant, was an exceptional value ($7 for a glass of pinot noir.) And the service was incredible. First, the hostess was gracious in putting me at a table without a reservation, and continued to check on me throughout the meal. My wait person was just perfect. Always there when I needed her but not hovering. And the chef did make it by my table (as others have suggested) to check on how my meal was. And one more - the rest of the staff, while not specifically checking on me, made consistent eye contact giving me the opportunity to ask for something had the need arisen.

Just a fabulous experience all the way around. Hard to believe there have been a couple of negative comments - I just can't imagine someone not having the perfect meal here.

Visited July 2014