“Simply wonderful-in all phases!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Peasant
Ranked #1 of 36 Restaurants in Waitsfield
Cuisines: Italian, French, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Rustic French and Italian
Washington Depot, Connecticut
“Simply wonderful-in all phases!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Like the card says "A simple feast"-and a feast it is. The appetizers and entrees were tasty, generous in proportion and original in flavor. THE BEST chicken marsala I have ever tasted-and I've eaten it everywhere. The staff were courteous, fun and attentive without being overbearing-just right! The chef took note of our split entrée and made the extra effort to plate and serve them separately rather than us doing it at the table. I know, it's a little thing but Chris and his crew did all the little things that differentiate a decent restaurant from an excellent one. I only wish we had spent more time in town as we would have gone right back in order to try more of the selections. Just superb and we caught them on a very busy night!! Thanks Chris!

New York City, New York
“unexpected find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was heading home from a visit to my son at camp in Vermont , and my route home put me on bridge street in Waitsfield. I spotted the sign for Peasant restaurant and I fiqured I would give it a shot. It was quite crowded when I walked in, but was lucky enough to snag a seat at the cozy wooden bar in the back of the restaurant. I proceeded to order a drink and check out the menu, and the special board. I decided on a shrimp and calamari salad appetizer and thePenne Bolognese main course. While I was waiting for my meal I struck several conversations with some of the locals who almost all seemed were transplanted NYers. They all looked to be having a great time. My meal was delivered in no time at all and I have to tell you it was a all around excellent meal. The calamari and shrimp salad was fresh and had just the right amount of lemon and a touch of vinegar as to not overpower the seafood. The Penne was cooked to perfection and the Bolognese sauce probably one of the best I can remember. The staff was great and the local flavor was alot of fun. I will definitely be sending my son to camp in Vermont again next year

Montgomery Village, Maryland
“JUST WONDERFUL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My first choice for an entree is the chicken Masala with beautiful tiny mushroom slices and a heart winning sauce. The beef ragout is a close runner up for the gold medal. There are exceptionally good choices for red wines, especially the Cahors, and the Burgundy Pinot Noir. All the entree sauces are divine. Sides of potatoes and the vegies sparkle with perfectly cooked flavor. Any dessert is to be selected - have one of each. The warm breads are delicious, and they are both perfectly fresh and perfectly heated. Great table service and the reservation desk held expertly by Mary is first class efficient. Ambience is pleasant and there is only a low noise level.

Anderson, Indiana
“good chicken marsala”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is a nice little restaurant with good food and good service. We ate at a table on the sidewalk out front. I had chicken marsala which was very good. My wife had a rhubarb salad and liked it very much.

Visited July 2014
Dallas, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Comfort Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We ate at Peasant on our first of three nights in Waitsfield. Everything about this place was so amazing, we came back on our last night in town. To start with, the food is delicious and very filling. If you're looking for a fancy presentation and lot of other "fru fru" effects, this isn't the place. That's not to say that the environment isn't pleasant, the service isn't fabulous, or that the food is visually unappealing. Rather, it's to say that Peasant is about serving comfort food that fills you up, not about drawing designs on your plate with the sauce or using a few garnishments to cover up how little food you're actually getting. Being from Texas, I'm very much a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy, so I was a little concerned that I hadn't heard of most of the things on the menu. My fears were quickly set aside though, as dishes I couldn't even pronounce were opening my eyes, and mouth, to new tastes. To top it all off, the owner, Chris, came by our table both nights for a quick chat. We were happy to find out that most of his ingredients are sourced from within just a few miles of the restaurant. That's something we're definitely not used to in Texas. I can't say enough good things about Peasant. The charming environment, top-notch service, fantastic food, tasty local wine, and friendly owner will meet your every expectation.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Peasant? Share your experiences!