Hostel Tevere
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$188
Hotels.com
US$97
US$86
EconoLodge
Best Western Plus Waterbury - Stowe(Waterbury)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$130
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I was traveling by myself to take advantage of great skiing conditions. Seems that many others were doing the exact same thing and were all ages of ski bums and not just 22 year old travelers.

Yes, you're in bunk rooms but the beds and linens are very comfortable. The strong metal bed frames are of great quality so they do not make noises when you get in and out of them. Much better than the usual hostel. This is kind of a step up from hostel living because it has a bar and restaurant and not an open kitchen to cook your own meals.

The bar and restaurant were very nice which are a plus in an area with little nightlife. Sure the meals might be a couple dollars more than you would expect but then when you get the food, the quality is very good and worth the price. The bar is a bit noisy on the weekend if you really want to go to bed early.

The couple who own the place are very nice.

Only bad thing was not having any breakfast options. Almost everyone was out of the building by 8:15 to ski and the kitchen was not open. I understand it is difficult for a couple running such a nice dinner/bar service but I would have purchased anything here, even bagels than pay the prices on the mountain. Heck, I would have paid the night before for a mini continental breakfast that I could take back with me.

Would love to see a ski/boot rack somewhere inside, maybe by the fire. Did not see locker areas but had plenty of space in the room to hang my stuff to dry.

Room Tip: Everyone in the bunk rooms must walk through the room for 5 people. Choose the 7 person room first.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Having been to Hostel Tevere by myself (to ski) and with my wife (to kind of ski)...I highly endorse this "hip establishment." Sarah and Giles are young, energetic, and efficient. Not only are the beds comfortable, but the live music and excellent food makes this the only place to stay in the valley. Recluctant-as many-to write this review...if you are looking for solstice mingled with adventure...and the many other natural offerings of this area...it's hard to go wrong here!

Room Tip: Stay up late
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Steven C
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have nothing much to add to other reviews: Stylish, artful, comfortable, friendly, welcoming, immaculately clean, especially for a hostel. The food is a little spendy but fair, I think, a for the quality and portions, especially compared to a lot of ski-town places. Unlike some hostels, which are basically one common room and the bunks, there are multiple spaces where one can spend time when not sleeping, such as the little game room, the wood-stove room, the little room off the lobby, and, when they're open, the restaurant and bar. In other words, you can actually have a little semi-privacy. The lamps for each bunk are a really nice touch. My suggestions: 1. Start breakfast earlier during the ski season. I'd like to be heading to the mountain or trails by 8, not just sitting down to breakfast. Even 7:30 would help. If that's not possible, maybe set out a continental kind of spread with say, bagels, boiled eggs, muffins, toast, a coffee urn. Maybe set out a jar and make it an honor system -- my hunch is guests would cover the costs. Maybe a bakery in the valley could supply the goods and you could cross-promote one another. 2. Provide some sort of food-prep spot for guests. One of the draws of traditional hostels is cooking facilities for guests to use and thus save money on meals. Lacking this in a sense makes Hostel Tevere less a true hostel. Heck, a hot plate or microwave oven, a sink, a dorm-size refrigerator would probably do it. I don't think it would cut down the restaurant business because your food is too good to pass up when the restaurant is open. 3. Watch the little things. When I came in the winter walking to the door was hazardous because a puddle between the parking lot and the ramp had frozen. All it needed was a little melting salt or an ice chopper. You could step over it, but I'd hate to see someone get hurt. Again, these are just small points for improvement -- nothing to keep me from coming back.

Room Tip: On weekdays, bring some ready-to-eat food, or line up a close-by place for coffee and breakfast the next morning. On weekends, though, plan to eat here!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Let's start with the good stuff, because there's a lot of it. Hostel Tevere is beautifully decorated, warm and welcoming, clean, and in a great location. But when we stayed there last weekend, there were two incredibly late nights of very loud music from the bar downstairs, making it very difficult to sleep until 2-3am, not what you want before days of being in the outdoors.

Saying that, the bar is cool, and a nice addition to the hostel. But if sleep is really important to you, you might want to give them a call to check what's on that weekend before committing to a stay there. Value for money is good for the overnight's stay, and we might return for a quieter visit in the future.

Room Tip: The 7 person room is directly above the bar, and the noise travels there very easily. The other rooms are much better in this respect.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Becky C
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I'm a budget traveler at heart and I can get by without the luxuries, so I was a little bit bummed when I found out there was no kitchen. That's why I love going to hostels, at least here in the US, because I love the shared kitchen and cooking my own food. I was a little bit more bummed when I found out how overpriced the food was. Since it was snowing outside and I only have 2-wheel drive economy vehicle, I hunkered down and decided to eat dinner at the bar. I was shocked how expensive meals were. $11 for Philly-cheese steak, yeeshh...

The beds however were immaculate! The comforters were super comfy and I had the best sleep I had in a long time.

Overall, this is still a bargain, and I don't feel too bad despite the food being exorbitantly overpriced.

Room Tip: Bring ready to eat food. Their meals are very expensive. $8-10 for mac n' cheese?!?!?
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
hosteltevere, Owner at Hostel Tevere, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

We're sorry you felt our food offerings were overpriced. We would like to say that all the food at Hostel Tevere is specially prepared, from scratch, each day with high-quality, local ingredients and served in generous portions. We sincerely feel the value is great for a hearty, home-cooked meal, and hope you will try us again in the future!

Sarah + Giles - Owners Hostel Tevere