“Good food, but disappointing service”
Review of The Common Man

The Common Man
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Warren
Price range: US$20 - US$38
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Common Man Restaurant is located in Warren, Vermont, in the heart of Mad River Valley, between Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen. Sited in a 19th century barn, the dining room is elegant in its simplicity. With hand-hewn beams framing an open hearth fireplace, the 100-seat restaurant is inviting and intimate. Since the original owners, the Orsini family, opened their doors in the 1960s, 3209 German Flats Road has been a popular place for locals, visitors, and skiers to gather for a quality Vermont dining experience. Now in its fourth generation of operation, the current owners, Chef Adam Longworth and Lorien Wroten, are working hard to re-energize this Vermont dining institution with small town hospitality and world class cuisine.
Rutherford, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, but disappointing service”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I've been to the Common Man several times over the years, but this was the first time I visited with the new owners. After the previous experiences here in years past, I was a bit disappointed this time around.

The food itself was very good. I have no real complaints there. Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted good. Nothing stood out as exceptional, but overall I'd give the food a 4 out of 5.

The service is where I have a problem with Common Man. Our waitress was efficient, but a bit distant and detached. She wasn't very engaging at all. Even while I was looking over the wine list she made no attempt to offer any advice or even ask if I had any questions. A waiter or waitress in a restaurant needs some personality and needs to make the guests feel welcome. I didn't get that feeling here. I thought at first maybe she was just having an off night, but in talking to other people around the valley, I heard a number of people say the same thing about the service being distant.

The prices are at the high end of valley options and when you're paying this kind of money, the service should reflect that. The parking lot is always full during ski season when I pass by, so obviously there are people that enjoy going here. Unfortunately I won't be in any rush to return as there are several other choices in the valley that I think are better choices and that I would rather visit.

• Visited January 2014

Old Chatham, New York
“Great winter spot”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Common Man gets wonderful reviews here for both the ambiance and the food, and we agree with both. We had two dinners here mid-week recently, so it was rather quiet, which we enjoyed. The wood-timbered great room was warm and inviting - important in the bitter cold of winter. The first dinner we had a lamb sausage special over pasta, both the dish and the sausage were great. Another party had chicken, which he reported being dry, but that was the only soft spot in an otherwise good meal. The next visit we enjoyed an unusual Ricotta Cannelloni with a poached egg and bread crumbs on top, and a Ramen Noodle bowl. On both occasions someone ordered the grilled octopus as an appetizer, and we highly recommend it. This is a great spot that combines an inviting, casual atmosphere with good cuisine. Worth a drive to get there.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank 434jeffreyl
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food.”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Loved the brussell sprout salad, the pasta was spicy and a little overcooked. I would say some dishes were excellent and some were eh.... But great wine selection.
Try to get a table near the fireplace and if you have kids, skip the glass tables. Way too nerve-wracking for a relaxing dinner hearing the clattering of utensils and glasses.

• Visited February 2014
Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
“Good food. Very busy. Make Reservations.”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

One of the pricer places, but food was good. Menu not big. We went with a big group and the accomodated us with no issues. Server was good. Desert was so so.

Visited February 2014
Old Forge, Pennsylvania
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Food was outstanding and the quality of service was very, very good. Our innkeepers recommend this restaurant and made reservations for us. A must go to place if in the Sugarbush, Warren area.

Visited February 2014