“Get the Halibut!”

Price range: US$20 - US$38
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Common Man Restaurant is located in Warren, Vermont, in the heart of Mad River Valley, between Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen. Sited in a 19th century barn, the dining room is elegant in its simplicity. With hand-hewn beams framing an open hearth fireplace, the 100-seat restaurant is inviting and intimate. Since the original owners, the Orsini family, opened their doors in the 1960s, 3209 German Flats Road has been a popular place for locals, visitors, and skiers to gather for a quality Vermont dining experience. Now in its fourth generation of operation, the current owners, Chef Adam Longworth and Lorien Wroten, are working hard to re-energize this Vermont dining institution with small town hospitality and world class cuisine.
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“Get the Halibut!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The chef/owner prides himself in his Halibut dish. The menu isn't extensive which allows them to take great care in what they are preparing. The dining room is inside a refurbished barn with a fireplace twinkling with tea lights to give it a warm atmosphere. The bar is a great place to dine alone where the conversations are always interesting from locals to travelers. Not inexpensive but a great place for special occasions. I wouldn't suggest it for small kids as the menu is a bit fancy and there are better options in the valley for kids. Great date place of quieter place to catch up with friends. I try to go at least two or three times each ski season.

Visited February 2014

Austin, Texas
“SO MUCH LOVE..........”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I lived in the Valley for the last 2 years and we fell in love with the Common Man. They have subsequently ruined all our other dining experiences! I am half kidding here but truly we have NEVER experienced a restaurant that hits it out of the park EVERY TIME!!!

I first brought my husband here on his birthday and he's the pickiest eater I've ever met. He claimed to "hate" mushrooms and I ordered the mushroom soup to start. He tasted it and before I knew it he was LICKING the bowl!!! I am in love with their halibut and now that we've moved to RI I am literally dreaming about this dish. It's the only restaurant that we're never afraid to order anything from the menu. They have introduced our palettes to so many new tastes and combinations that we will forever call this our favorite restaurant.

This is a GEM and deserves only the best of accolades for the service, food, creativity and hospitality it delivers time after time.

• Visited March 2014
Rutherford, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, but disappointing service”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I've been to the Common Man several times over the years, but this was the first time I visited with the new owners. After the previous experiences here in years past, I was a bit disappointed this time around.

The food itself was very good. I have no real complaints there. Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted good. Nothing stood out as exceptional, but overall I'd give the food a 4 out of 5.

The service is where I have a problem with Common Man. Our waitress was efficient, but a bit distant and detached. She wasn't very engaging at all. Even while I was looking over the wine list she made no attempt to offer any advice or even ask if I had any questions. A waiter or waitress in a restaurant needs some personality and needs to make the guests feel welcome. I didn't get that feeling here. I thought at first maybe she was just having an off night, but in talking to other people around the valley, I heard a number of people say the same thing about the service being distant.

The prices are at the high end of valley options and when you're paying this kind of money, the service should reflect that. The parking lot is always full during ski season when I pass by, so obviously there are people that enjoy going here. Unfortunately I won't be in any rush to return as there are several other choices in the valley that I think are better choices and that I would rather visit.

• Visited January 2014
Old Chatham, New York
“Great winter spot”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Common Man gets wonderful reviews here for both the ambiance and the food, and we agree with both. We had two dinners here mid-week recently, so it was rather quiet, which we enjoyed. The wood-timbered great room was warm and inviting - important in the bitter cold of winter. The first dinner we had a lamb sausage special over pasta, both the dish and the sausage were great. Another party had chicken, which he reported being dry, but that was the only soft spot in an otherwise good meal. The next visit we enjoyed an unusual Ricotta Cannelloni with a poached egg and bread crumbs on top, and a Ramen Noodle bowl. On both occasions someone ordered the grilled octopus as an appetizer, and we highly recommend it. This is a great spot that combines an inviting, casual atmosphere with good cuisine. Worth a drive to get there.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank 434jeffreyl
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food.”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Loved the brussell sprout salad, the pasta was spicy and a little overcooked. I would say some dishes were excellent and some were eh.... But great wine selection.
Try to get a table near the fireplace and if you have kids, skip the glass tables. Way too nerve-wracking for a relaxing dinner hearing the clattering of utensils and glasses.

• Visited February 2014