“Truly a Classic !”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: **Reopening in December**
Reviewed 17 March 2014

As soon as you enter Chez Henri you either get it or you don't. It reminds me something you would find on a side street in the Left Bank or in the French Countryside. Tiny Marble Bar with a few Romantic Booths. The Dining area has booths on one side, tables throughout the center and a fireplace on one wall. I chose a reasonably priced Vacqueyras to split with my son, my wife drank Champagne by the glass. We started with a dozen Blue Points, very fresh, perfect actually. We then split Escargot and Mussels. Escargot in a nice Butter sauce with puff pastry sticks, we soaked up the sauce with bread. Mussels were classic white wine garlic broth, again wonderful. My son and wife both had Duck, Roasted Breast and Leg/Thigh confit, spectacular presentation, the skin on the confit was crispy with the perfectly cooked meat underneath, it melted in your mouth. I had the Veal Normande, three medallions of Veal with a wonderful Normande Sauce. We finished the Vacqueyras so we ordered a half bottle of Guigal CDR, one of the best Rhones out there for the money. Dessert was Creme Brulee, Meringue Tort, and a Chocolate Mousse Cake, with our Espresso's and Grand Marinier! The welcome and warm service is perfect. Thank You Henri, Bernard, Brian, Peter and of course Quayle, for making Mary Ellen's first Chez Henri visit so special. Our son is going home to France this week and I couldn't think of a better send off for him.

Sante

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Went to Chez Henri last weekend- it's usually somewhere we go once a year. The food was ok- my lamb (asked to be cooked medium) was definitely medium rare. The kids pasta dishes were really bland and the service was only fair. No one was thrilled with their meal, which is unusual, as I've always enjoyed it there in the past.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We are on average once a year Ski Weekend visitors to Sugarbush, and always include a sojourn au Chez Henri, un restaurant Francais. Always delicious, it seems to us the only variation is whether the meal is excellent or outstanding? Greeted by co-owner Bernard... un plaisir comme toujours! We were a party of four, and thouroughly enjoyed the wonderful bread, an order of Mussels for the table, a couple of salads... and entrees of Filet Mignon avec Bernaise, Duck, a wonderful Skate rendition, and Veal. All superbe! An excellent Chateauneuf du Papes Wine suggestion from our Server, Roger. For the finish, we all split a couple of great desserts. And a little FYI for one of my co-reviewers in the thread below... the old man walking around the restaurant, goes by the name of... "Henri"! Et voila, cette comme ca!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I really wanted to love Chez Henri. Really. It had so many things going for it. The restaurant is located at the base village in the shadow of Sugarbush mountain. We parked the car and could see the lights of the groomers getting the slopes ready for the next day. Crossing a very New-Englandy covered bridge, we heard the accordion music coming from the restaurant. Upon entering, we received a warm welcome from Henri himself, who promptly sat us at the best table in the house, next to the fireplace. Up to this point, we were having an amazing experience. We felt like we had been transported to the French Alps.

Our server was professional, but reserved. She demonstrated decent food knowledge, but when I asked for a wine suggestion, she did not answer with confidence. I asked for a full body wine with a lot of fruit, and the wine she brought over was light to medium body. She also did not know she should have decanted it as my wife got a mouthful of sediment at the bottom of her last glass. She poured the first glass, but the rest of the bottle was up to us to pour.
We asked about the bread piled up at the oven, and she said it was amazing. We could not wait! But wait we did. Finally when she brought out the appetizer, we asked about the bread. “Oh I am sorry, that was the busser’s job. I’ll get it right away”, was her response to our inquiry. The French onion soup was outstanding.

When our entrees came out, the duck I received was great (although it did not have the Brussel sprouts as the server described). My wife ordered a pasta dish with seafood, and the one scallop in the dish was raw. Not just a bit squishy in the center, but completely raw, inside and out. We flagged the busser down and let her know. She brought the dish into the kitchen and shortly after returned with the scallop cooked. Our server came over and asked how our meals were. We told her we had to send back a dinner, and she said, “I heard”. And then told us to enjoy our meals.

According to reviews here, the highlight of the meal is the desserts. We ordered a chocolate mousse cake off the dessert tray. The mousse was delicious: creamy and rich. There was a layer of cake on the bottom of the dessert the dryness of which suggested it might have been the actual slice off the dessert tray! My espresso was outstanding: rich, creamy, and very hot.
My biggest issue with our experience is the lack of response to obvious issues with service. Our dinner needed to be returned, we needed to ask for bread, our empty wine glasses were covered in sediment, and yet there was no communication from anyone who seemed to care that we were having a less-than-perfect experience.

To conclude, Chez Henri has some great potential. The personality of the place, the charming (albeit outdated) décor, the onion soup, and the location are all huge benefits. There was an older man, without a discernible roll in the restaurant who went through the dining room and took people’s pictures with their cameras. Very fun. So I really wanted to like Chez Henri’s, just like I wanted to like my neighbor’s big friendly golden retriever. But that dog kept pooping in my yard, and each time I stepped in his mess I liked him less. And for the price we paid at Chez Henri’s, we stepped in too many messes.

1  Thank dhodgdon
Reviewed 21 January 2014

OK, leave the kids at Ski School and head over to Chez Henri for a long lunch. Best atmosphere possible -- on the mountain, ski to it (if there is enough snow), leave your skis outside and go in for lunch (or dinner...we were there for lunch). I had a burger on an English muffin with awesome french fries. Kir Royale for drinks and fondue to start. My wife had the French Onion soup which looked delicious. This is a really great place and we will definitely be back.