“Filthy rooms and unfriendly staff, look elsewhere if you want to preserve your sanity.”
Review of Old Stagecoach Inn

Old Stagecoach Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Waterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My wife and I visited this Inn for the beginning of our 17th anniversary Autumn vacation. I booked a two night stay for two over the phone after checking availability via an email for a travel date that was rapidly approaching. Right then I should have looked elsewhere! The codgety, grumpy, gruff and impatient man that I was relying on to help me book my stay at this Inn (his name was "Jack") grudgingly answered my questions, giving the obvious impression that his time was far too important to waste on me. But I needed to make a reservation somewhere in Waterbury and needed to make it soon, so I reserved the room. After all, it was AAA rated.

I wanted a larger room with a private bath and felt that Room 1, the Inn's largest, would do the job. I was told that I could have this room for only one of the two nights that I needed, but that Room 2 would be available, was located immediately across the hall, and that we could move into that room for the second night.

When we arrived at the Inn a few days later I signed in and "Jack' charged my credit card for the two night stay. He scanned my credit card before he even said hello. Sitting on the front desk counter was the Guest Register, which was open, and I was able to look at the Inn's Guest Register and see the bookings for the evening as well as those in the coming days. I noticed that "Jack " had written in the Register the room prices along side of each of the various rooms, along with the name of the guest who had booked the room. Rooms 1 and 2 were priced $10 less for ALL the other guests who had booked these two rooms. In other words, whereas I was being charged $200 a night for Room 1, everyone else was being charged $190. It dawned on me that since this establishment is AAA rated that there was a discounted price that I had forgot to ask for during the rushed and impatient phone booking that I suffered through. Being a long-time AAA member, I asked "Jack" if he would honor the AAA discount and showed him my AAA membership card. He told me that he would adjust the price of the rooms.

We had to carry all of our luggage up to the second floor rooms without any offer of help from "Jack". During the luggage unloading "Jack" made sure to tell us that we had to move our car away from the door and park it on the other side of the drive, far away from the entrance because he was expecting a lot of guests. So what were we, chopped liver?

The room was a shock! This was Room 1, their very best, and it was filthy. The carpet had grimy black stains all over; clearly it has never been cleaned in my lifetime, maybe not even in "Jacks". There were no amenities, such as a hair dryer. No TV, no phone. The bath room was very small, the poorly illuminated mirror above the sink was set so low that I could not see the top of my head (I'm 6 feet tall).

This room was "decorated" in a depressing collection of junk furniture that pretended to be antiques, but it was just dilapidated, distressed junk furniture. The lumpy bed was located at the front of the room which faced the noisy street. Immediately adjacent to the left of the bed was a window with an air conditioning unit. You could not fully close this window so even more street noise was allowed to enter the already noisy room. There was no attempt to insulate this room from the street noise, and believe me that street is the main street through Waterbury and is very heavily traveled by loud trucks.

When my wife and I came downstairs to go out for dinner "Jack" told us that he could not adjust the price of the room and it would have to remain at the $200 a night. I pointed to all of the other bookings in the Register for that room and showed him that it was booked on all of those other nights for $190. He was adamant and said that there would be no adjustment. Obviously , he had talked to someone (his partner/son) and he told him to keep the price where it was. So much for AAA ratings and savings. I told him that I was unhappy about this but that I was not going to let it spoil our vacation.

We had a very nice dinner at one of the local restaurants and returned to our room later that evening. That evening we had a really horrible night's sleep because of all the street noise, especially bad in the very early morning when the trucks start to roll through town. The lumpy bed did not help either.

The following day we partook of the Inn's famous "homemade" breakfast. This was a joke. All of the pastries, the rolls, the granola, are commercially prepared items. The "home cooked" cinnamon rolls were the Pillsbury crack-a-can type that are pre-made and purchased from the local grocery store. The coffee was good, but that was because it came from a Keurig coffee brewer and used K-cups. Waterbury is the home of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, so this is no surprise.

There are some items on the breakfast menu that are made to order. I was going to order the Eggs Benedict until I asked the waitress (who was the only friendly person at the Inn), if the Hollandaise sauce was homemade. No such luck. She told me that it was reconstituted from a powder mix that they get from their supplier! Really now....Hollandaise sauce is not that hard to make. Why ruin the Eggs Benedict by putting fake Hollandaise on them. Indeed, why even have a B&B if you do not plan to have an outstanding breakfast. One could eat his fill here, but the quality is no better than anything that one could order at a Denny's. What a joke.

The second night we were moved over to Room 2. This room was just as filthy as Room 1. The carpet looked like it was about to crawl out the door by itself. Supposedly, Room 2 is haunted by the spirit of a long dead land lady of the Inn. I submit that Room 2 may well be haunted by the creatures that are inhabiting that carpet.

On the positive side, the bed in Room 2, a lumpy four-poster that was crammed into the room and is claustrophobically out of place, is located on an interior wall rather than along the front of the house as in Room 1. This made for a more peaceful sleep on it's equally lumpy mattress. Also, the bathroom was larger than the bath in Room 1. But again, the lack of amenities was a big disappointment. Especially bad was the bathroom sink. It was an old style sink with individual faucets for hot and cold water. The hot water came out of the tap BLACK with rust, shooting out bits of black unknown substance. Imagine washing your face with this. To make it even worse, it drained very slowly, so that one was forced to look at the sludge for awhile while brushing one's teeth. Yummm!

Look my friends, I am not exaggerating about this place. It is the embodiment of Hell House, except missing any of the charm. It is dirty, it is uncomfortable, the staff is unfriendly, unhelpful, and duplicitous. You would be far better staying in Stowe, just a few minutes away.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere....please.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank WaltPhotography

Reviewed 26 September 2011

After finding this B and B online, and reading the reviews, we were really excited to stay here. Having read the rooms were decorated with fine antiques, we were quite surprised to find the furniture in our room anything but. Shabby chic cannot even describe it. Shabby yes and dusty and the room smelled funky and was masked by a room spray. The owners barely spoke to the guests and,the only one who even was remotely pleasant, was the woman who took our breakfast order in the morning. The breakfast bar did not look anything like what was pictured, but I have to admit the breakfast was good. The front parlor looked like it hadn't been dusted in months and dirty newspaper littered the floor to catch the bird droppings. I would not stay here again, as this was way out of my comfort zone.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank dlynnLitchfield_Ct_
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Room was immaculate. Breakfast was cooked to order and out of this world! We were felt very welcome at the Old Stagecoach Inn. Will recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keh469
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We have stayed at the stagecoach 3 times and have enjoyed everything the inn has to offer!
The owner is friendly, kind, and welcoming. Each room has its own unique decor...
clean and comfy. Breakfast is served on the spacious deck decorated with vibrant flowers.
The heuvos rancheros is made with love and my personal favorite!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Kldsunshine
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Our family of 4 stayed here for a few nights. Perfect central location for exploring Vermont. Our teenage girls were excited to be staying only a few minutes from the Ben and Jerry's factory! John and dad Jack have filled the inn with historical items. Be sure to read the history of the inn on the website. The ghost was after me, for sure! John's breakfasts are delicious.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Very cool little spot. Friendly staff and fabulous breakfast included in the price.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We arrived in Waterbury (the third B&B on our New England vacation) and easily found the Old Stagecoach Inn, as it's on the main street in Waterbury. It's beautiful! We originally were going to stay in room 5, which is the tiniest room with a shared bath. I felt a little claustrophobic, and they moved us to room 7. It was on the 3rd floor, HUGE, and very pretty. There was a comfortable king size bed, two single beds, and a futon. I enjoyed that it had a private bathroom, air conditioning, skylights, and beautiful exposed wooden ceiling beams. The inn was so pretty, and it was very easy to walk to anything in the town of Waterbury. My favorite part about this place was the food! It was by far the best breakfast we had eaten at any of the B&B's on this trip. We would stay here again, and are already thinking of coming up sometime for the fall foliage.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterbury
Best Western Plus Waterbury - Stowe
#12 of 24 in Stowe
Innsbruck Inn At Stowe
Innsbruck Inn At Stowe
#13 of 24 in Stowe

Been to Old Stagecoach Inn? Share your experiences!