“May be best place to stay in New England”
Review of Old Stagecoach Inn

Old Stagecoach Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Waterbury B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“May be best place to stay in New England”
Reviewed 2 August 2009

True old time charm. Unbelievable experience. 1800's experience with proximity to modern day leisures.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
US/Phil.
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Room - spacious and clean. My husband & I arrived late in the afternoon & all standard rooms were occupied. The owners offered us their suite room for the price of a standard room even if we stayed only for a single night. The room has its own mini kitchen. A simple but clean & spacious bathroom. And we've got a small sofa, too. The windows did not provide much ventilation, though, the room being an in an attic.

Breakfast - the best breakfast we ever had in our one week stay in different inns and hotels in Vermont.

Location - i liked it. It s walking distance to some good restaurants. I particularly liked that there is a Thai restaurant nearby. This is the closest cuisine to Filipino dish.

Service - excellent. I think that the owners were particularly sensitive to our needs us being foreigners ,they tried their best to make sure that we have evrything that we need and the place would be comfortable to us.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Cornwall, England
Reviewed 25 November 2008

We arrived from England needing to rent a car. The owners were more than helpful, they organised this for us and even took us to Stowe to pick it up.

Well, what can I say about the breakfast other than fantastic! I don't usually "do" breakfast, but couldn't resist the choice and I wasn't disappointed.

I can't understand the negatives I have read. I'm so pleased it was as quaint as I thought it would be, just what I expected from an old Inn in Vermont, homely, cosy and comfortable.

We are now planning our next trip which will definitely include another visit to the Old Stagecoach Inn.

• Liked — Atmosphere. Breakfast.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Leesburg, VA
Reviewed 13 September 2008

I have stayed at the Old Stagecoach three times now and frankly I am surprised at the negative reviews here. It is a very nice place. The owners - an older gentleman and his son - work hard to make your stay great. The main house is very homey, with beautiful antiques everywhere. The breakfast is great - I especially enjoy the Eggs Benedict, which I get every time I'm here. The location is great, in the middle of Waterbury - you can sit and enjoy the front porch in the summer time, or walk down to Arvad's (catch a baseball game on their TV behind the bar), or Waterbury Wings.

The best part is the owners though, they go out of their way to help you. Once I was in need of a guitar, so John (the son) lent me his guitar for the length of my visit! You don't get that kind of service in a regular hotel. As with any Vermont B&B, be prepared to pay more during foliage season; but on the other side, he owners will also sometimes discount their rates depending on how many guests are here.

If you stay, I recommend you get one of the "rooms" in the main house rather than the "suites" in the back house. The suites are adequate but the "rooms" are much more enjoyable to stay in - more of an antique, old time feel. I'll be staying here again!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orange County, California
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I took my parents up to Vermont on one of their more recent visits to Boston. We picked the Old Stagecoach Inn because it was one of the few places that let you reserve just one weekend night and they also had accommodations for three people- a rarity in the bed & breakfast world. We checked in and yes, it certainly is not the most modern or up to date place, but we found our room to be adequate, with two full size beds and a private bathroom. There is a nice porch outside so we sat out there in the late afternoon and then went into Waterbury for dinner. A word of advice about dinner in Waterbury...Go to the Alchemist and have the sweet potato fries! To this day, I'm still thinking about how good they were! But I digress...
So we head back to the Inn and get ready for bed. It had been a long day of walking around and sightseeing so we were all beat so everyone fell sound asleep. Around midnight, I woke up because I just had a strange feeling that something was in the room with us. I sat up and looked around the room and didn't see anything, but you know when you just get that creepy feeling and all the hair stands up on the back of your neck? Yeah, that's what I felt. There were also some really old pictures on the bureau that didn't help my feeling of uneasiness. I figured that I just had a bad dream that woke me up and since my parents were still sound asleep, I tried to push it out of my head and go back to sleep. I think I stayed awake for a few hours after that still looking around for something to pop out at me.
The next morning, my Dad and I went on a little run around town and then came back for breakfast. I thought breakfast was a pretty nice spread- with juices, pastries, cereals & fruit available as well as your choice of hot entree. Plus, all of the delicious Green Mountain coffee you can drink! At breakfast, I asked my parents if they heard or felt anything strange during the night but neither of them had. Again, I chalked it up to my imagination.
So fast forward a few months later and it's right around Halloween. Boston.com has a list of New England's most haunted inns and guess which inn has a place on the list? That's right, the Old Stagecoach Inn in Waterbury, VT! Turns out it wasn't my imagination!! If you go onto their website, there is a brief blurb about the inn being haunted, but I started doing more research and it turns out that a woman by the name of Margaret Spencer died in what is now room 2 and supposedly still hangs out in that room. To know this after staying there and experiencing what I did, definitely makes me a believer!
So the Old Stagecoach Inn itself is not a luxury bed & breakfast by any means, but it definitely is a decent and affordable place to stay while you're passing through this section of Vermont. Plus, you never know what may wake you up in the middle of the night!!

• Liked — Affordable & had rooms for families
  • Disliked — Seemed a little worn
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank UM1997
Rhode Island
Reviewed 5 August 2008

Don't be fooled by the lovely photos of this Inn. Unfortunately my husband and I were. This place has years worth of dust and grime. The carpeting was dirty and worn. I have asthma and was having a bad attack due to these surroundings. We checked in at 3PM and escaped by 6AM the following morning after getting hardly any sleep. There's a train track right beside this inn and it's also on a busy route that trucks use all night long. We never got to the breakfast that everyone else raves about. We wouldn't dare eat anything from that place. We felt like we were in a set from the Adams Family. Very creepy!! On the positive side, the African Gray Parrot is a real sweetie. He kept us entertained the whole time we were there along with Max the dog.

• Liked — Their parrot and dog were enjoyable company and were obviously well cared for.
  • Disliked — The Inn needs a drastic cleaning. It was very grungy and had a lot of noisy road traffic.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RITripper
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 July 2008

I have great memories of the Old Stagecoach Inn! The rooms are charming and inviting. Breakfast is excellent. The owners are friendly and helpful. The bar is a great place to sit for a while. The Inn is located walking distance to town, where there are shops and restaurants. I look forward to returning for a visit someday and recommend this lovely Inn to family and friends.

Stayed August 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterbury
Best Western Plus Waterbury - Stowe
#13 of 24 in Stowe
Capitol Plaza
Capitol Plaza
#2 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Old Stagecoach Inn? Share your experiences!