“incredibly awesomeness of food preparation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hen of The Wood
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Waterbury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, View
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Burlington, Vermont
“incredibly awesomeness of food preparation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My words cannot match (or explain) the fabulosity of this restaurant.
I will not attempt any statement about the joy of this well-run, wonderful feeling, and great food that I was party to at the Hen of The Wood. I will only offer this high recommendation to go, enjoy, and experience this great location (by a waterfall) in a historical building (an old mill) with incredibly friendly and professional staff, who will deliver an incredibly crafted meal (large or small) with choice libations, beer, and wine.
Just go that is all I have to say!

• Visited June 2014

Burlington, Vermont
“Incredible food, views and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We went here for our anniversary. We made the reservations online about a month in advance. I was even able to put a note about what sort of occasion it was and they wished us a happy anniversary when we arrived. We sat facing the waterfall that is beautifully lit at night. Amazing atmosphere and very romantic. The food is some of the best in Vermont. This is a new favorite place for any occasion now.

Visited April 2014
“What has happened?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have been here many times and enjoyed the meals very much. After telling my sister-in-law how good it is we went. The surroundings are ok but dark. My brother-in-law couldn't read the menu! Asking the wait staff for a lite beer he got a CAN of Schlitz!! I was astounded and embarrassed. She ordered lamb, got two tiny chops. We ordered hanger steak which was tasty but WAY too small for two men. The only thing we took away from this was the house wine was decent. It's sad that once was really a pretty good place has gone to this! Really too bad.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Special Occasion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a first time visiting Hen of the Wood.We had heard great things about the restaurant and had read all the reviews. We knew you had to make reservations even on a Tuesday night. We actually drove over during the day to look at it and confirm the time from Stowe where we were staying. We were very impressed with the restaurant – it is an old Mill with a river and waterfalls in the back. We had an 8 PM reservation. We got there a few minutes early and were seated promptly.My wife ordered wine and we ordered dinner at the same time. We had a lot of problems with the waiter-he came back twice to confirm what we ordered. We received our appetizers promptly but the main entrées were not served until an hour later at 9:30 .The hostess Denise did a great job addressing the issue and apologized several times for the service problems .We really did like the restaurant .We will definitely return future despite the service last night. I highly recommend it!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wolcott, Connecticut
“Nice Location with Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We dinned on a weekday. We found location of the restaurant was lovely. We sat on the edge of the dining room going out to the porch. It was very nice to have the breeze from the stream to thwart the heat of the kitchen. The place was busy, even do a Tuesday. I recommend making a reservation otherwise you'll be eating at 5 or 9pm.

The food itself was very delicious. My favorite was the zucchini fritters in a lovely honey drizzle. The special app of the night was a very rich spare rib that would have filled me up but since James ordered it he was ready for hanger steak as well. The cheese selection is wonderful with all local cheese. We tried the "verhampshire" and the van trapp "Oma". Both were a lovely semi soft/formed cheese. They serve it with a semisweet crisp. It is superb.

Definitely an enjoyable night on the town.