“Great food - awful service”

Cider House BBQ and Pub
Ranked #26 of 36 Restaurants in Waterbury
Cuisines: Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
New England
“Great food - awful service”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The food is wonderful, great BBQ, but the service was lousy with apologies. Hopefully it's improved.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“What a difference 2 months makes - very bad”
Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

In July, we went to Cider House because of the wonderful food, the great cider, and the music. It was so good (I gave it a 5 star review), that I was planning my whole trip to Vermont around dinner at the Cider House...well, it has drastically changed for the worse.

The cider remains good, not a fesh one like we had in the summer, but still 1 local choice. It was the food. Great cornbread, not much else. The brisket, instead of being in the oven with sauce for hours is now boiled in water. It tastes just like that, bland, mushy, and totally inedible! I asked the server what was up, and she told us that they are using new ways to make the BBQ, and this was how it is being prepared. I showed her my plate that was so drenched in water, the fries turned to mush. So, they didn't charge me for it...that's not the point. Why take an award winning taste and ruin it? Sure boiling the meat is faster...just tasteless.

How was everyone else's dinner? Poor also...one had 8 oz grouper that was 4 ounces if that much. Another had the seitan vegetarian BBQ that was a high point in July...it was burnt and like rubber. Left 3/4 of it.

No one finished the meal. Had to pay for the others.

Guess we will NEVER have to go there again. Such a shame. Great people working there. I feel badly,but I have to write this review.

1 Thank a10525
New York City, New York
“Overall it was fine”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

This place had some pretty good food and the service was fine. The apple cider was fantastic!
No gourmet, but that's not what we were looking for after a long hike in the woods!

• Visited August 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

First this restaurant only open on Thurs,Fri,Sat and Sun. We visited on Thursday night and first noticed a half full restaurant and no one had their food, never good. Only 2 servers and the one we had couldn't answer simple questions about menu. My daughter ordered fried chicken and 20 min after our order was in he came out to tell us the were out of fried chicken at 7pm. We noticed the poor family get the same news about their ice cream order. After 45min our meal arrived with the mayo I request to be placed on the side all over my burger. I just scraped it off so we could leave. Couldn't get our server to take our card paid at bar and ran!

• Visited August 2012
STOWE
“Good food, nice atmosphere.”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Very nice size portions - Homegrown VERMONT "local" food cheeses, meats, etc., well kept restuarant with outstanding, friendly service!

Visited June 2012