“Will Never Visit There Again” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Green Mountain Club

Green Mountain Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitor center offering the Long Trail Guide Book and Vermont maps.
Stowe, Vermont
“Will Never Visit There Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

First time I was there in 2010, it was a dream. The2nd time I visited, in 2011it was Nightmare! We bought an internet 3-day, 2-night Halloween package for $175/night that included spooky Halloween treats waiting in our room. Not only were there none, but when we asked the desk, they didn't seem to know anything about it and acted very put out that we would bother them with this. They went in the backroom and came out with ONE box of chocolate treats and told us we'd have to SHARE it!! huh? we paid for the whole package and it started out like this? The room they gave us had a broken thermostat. It was 90F in the room. I asked about this, they said the thermostat was broken and if we wanted it cooler to open a window. It was 28F outside but we had no choice but to open the windows. The restaurant sat us in a tiny table, when we asked for a larger table the girl became extremely rude and said if we wanted a bigger table we'd have to make reservations ahead of time. She finally did give us a bigger table and sat a HUGE man, over 300lbs at that teeny tiny table. I felt so sorry for the man but could tell he was trying to be polite. Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE!! When we checked out, there was a bogus $50 added to the bill on top of the other fees and taxes. While we waited in line to pay our bill, 2 people in front of us complained about false charges also. When I confronted the man at the desk about the fake charge, he became obnoxious trying to get me to back down and pay it which I wouldn't. He finally took the false charge off and told me he wouldn't be so nice "next time". There will never be a next time. They charge 5 star prices but give 1 star service. IT WAS AWFUL and TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!! THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED.

Visited February 2012

Northampton Mass.
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Nice, Nice People with Hiking Information”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

This is a must stop for hikers looking to hike the area or better yet the Long Trail. I can't say enough about these people that have dedicated their lives to maintain, and preserve Vermont's Long Trail. They offer clinics on a variety of topics at a fee. But remember maintaining and fighting to keep the trail alive doesn't come free. It takes hard work dedication and of course money. So when you stop in don't expect Disney World. If you want rides and fast gratification, go to an amusement park. If your looking for exercise with beauty, go to Vermont. I have thru-hiked the Long Trail both ways, many many times and I love the people who work for this organization. Whether they are a caretaker at a shelter or work in the office, they are genuinely nice people.
If you think they only sell coffee cups, tee shirts and books, you need to look deeper.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank backpackingfool
North East
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Exceeds expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

I was gazing at the multitude of stars I could see each night and was astounded by the clarity of the sky in Stowe and on Mount Mansfield as compared to the view of the stars in the suburbs elsewhere. My eyes were then drawn to the mountains- I became curious about the names of the various mountains that loom under said skies and stars. So I ventured down the road to the Green Mountain Club, thinking they would have a lot to offer in terms of knowledge and resources. My visit did not disappoint. Although I may have been one of the few visitors that day, I was greeted with enthusiasm and spent quite some time learning about the local environs and mountains. I purchased a number of maps and guides and decided immediately to become a member of the club. The organization sponsors not only hikes and other outdoor activities, they also provide classes on the appropriate use of outdoor equipment. As well, they stay involved in political and environmental issues impacting the Green Mountains. We've hiked parts of the Long Trail and several other short day hikes since becoming members. The guidebooks and maps are valuable and relatively inexpensive resources- especially when you purchase them as a member. This is more than a hiking club...My family and I felt very welcomed as members of the Green Mountain Club; we feel that their advocacy for our continued health and sustainability is a wonderful benefit of membership.

Visited March 2012
Providence, Rhode Island
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A coffee shop”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

Not much other than some posters and a coffee shop. You can also buy k cups for 30 percent more than amazon.