We stayed here for part of our 25th Anniversary trip. I have recently had to use a wheelchair to get around so my husband called ahead to be sure that the Inn was wheelchair accessible. It would have been okay if it were not, there are a lot of other places to stay but he was assured that it would be no problem. One of things we requested was a room with a separate shower as stepping into a tub is problematic. When we arrived, the staff offered to change the room we were originally assigned as the shower had no support bars. The room we were offered was upstairs!! As there is no elevator, it wasn't really possible. We decided to stay with our original room as it was on the ground floor and had a really beautiful wood-burning fireplace. Getting into the room was still a little difficult as there are stone steps up to the porch/deck. They were really shallow though, just about 4 inches high each so it was doable with my husband's help. The room was really very pretty. Huge open beams on the ceiling, watch your head on the support beams. Nice big television, desk.
The bathroom was oddly set up. The toilet is in a water-closet with a much smaller than usual door width. There were two sets of sinks in the washroom but they were not attached to each other. Would have been great to have one of them removed and the toilet included in that room by removing the wall, or, as I said, one of the sinks.
The first night we were given a little fire-starting "muffin" that worked great. The second night, no muffin.
We tried to push my chair up to the main inn to have dinner in the dining room but the incline was too steep and long. I'd s say a 45 degree angle up bumpy ground. It used to be a way to drive your car or carriage through to drop off your guests. They volunteered to try to carry me up or to deliver our food to our room. I didn't think carrying would work out well and since he was there ordering for us anyway, my husband just brought our food to our room himself. The first night's dinner, (both nights' dinner was included in the price), the service was wonderful. They didn't forget a single little detail. Breakfast was ready the next morning and we went out and had a wonderful time exploring the area.
That night's dinner the service seemed to just fall off. We got no plates, just had to eat out of the tinfoil containers, No butter for the rolls, no Parmesan for the pasta. The next morning, while the information says they start serving breakfast at eight, ours didn't appear until after nine. Wireless internet was free but pretty much non-existent. Staff said it's been like that since the big storm. The phone didn't work at all. The front office would call to let us know our meal was ready and it would just ring and ring and ring and we couldn't hear each other when we picked up. Even though we told them that after the first time, they kept ringing the next time.
We're really disappointed that I didn't get to experience the full New England Inn experience. It is a really lovely place if you can get around like most people. It's just not very open at this time for someone with mobility issues like mine. My husband called once we got back home to discuss these issues and someone said that someone would get back to him but, it's been a week and we've not heard a thing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A quintessential Country Inn located on 20 beautiful acres in Southern Vermont. Minutes from Mount Snow, Stratton and Bromley for world class skiing and snowboarding. Snowshoe and cross country ski the Inn's trails. Summer brings golfing, mountain biking, hiking and horseback riding. Fish or canoe our ponds, explore our walking trail, or just relax by our outdoor pool. Savor wonderful Italian cuisine at NONNA'S, our in-house restaurant, then relax in the comfort of one of our 21 unique guest rooms- all with private baths and a/c. Full country breakfast included with your stay. Come visit the Inn, and you will understand why our guests have been coming back to us for more than 40 years! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Inn at Sawmill Farm reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn At Sawmill Farm Hotel Dover
- Inn At Sawmill Farm Vermont/Dover