“Everything it should be and yes, we will return”
Review of West Dover Inn

West Dover Inn
Ranked #4 of 12 Dover B&B and Inns
Abington
“Everything it should be and yes, we will return”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

From the time of arrival at the West Dover Inn, the innkeeper had engaged us and made us feel at home. The hospitality was top notch and the meals the same. We visited family while in the area and inn staff made us all feel comfortable. The room was fine and the common areas set for whatever you might need. The outside patio was a great spot to catch up on what was a warm weekend afternoon. Will be in touch with Phil, the innkeeper, to plan a return and most likely another.

Room Tip: Front rooms have the advantage of the porch.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My partner and I took advantage of a Living Social deal at the West Dover Inn last weekend. When it comes to these types of deals, as Forrest Gump would say, “Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you’re gonna get.” That being said, we were very pleasantly surprised by the hospitality, service, and value we received at this historic inn. The moment we arrived, Phil, the innkeeper, made us feel welcome. Before we even gave him our credit card, or delved into “business” matters, he took us on a tour of the entire inn, which included a colorful narrative about the inn’s history. He definitely has a sense of pride regarding how he treats the inn and its (however temporary) inhabitants. Speaking of that box of chocolates, we had one waiting for us in our room! The chocolate was made by a local Vermont company. We received a teddy bear from a local Vermont company as well. (These items may have been specific to the Living Social deal, so don’t quote me on their availability for your stay). That evening we had a lovely dinner by the fireplace in their 1846 Tavern, conveniently located downstairs, as we were somewhat weary from our journey.

The next morning after breakfast, Phil was waiting for us with a map of local interests and curiosities, including a perfectly highlighted route marking. In addition, he had packed a little cooler with 2 sandwiches, an apple, and 2 bottles of water for the hike that was to be part of our journey. We loved the fact that he tried to make our day more special and efficient.

There are many historic inns from which to choose in this area. When we find one that also includes a personal touch and an attention to detail, we want to share it with other bed and breakfast lovers! We would highly recommend staying at the West Dover Inn for a glimpse into our country’s rich history, and a rejuvenating respite from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NewYorkSuzanne
Easton, California
Reviewed 8 March 2012

These people know how to run a B&B. My fiancee and I stayed at the West Dover Inn for a ski weekend. We were greeted and shown around the place promptly. Dinner was excellent. While expensive, the food and service were superb. The room itself was fine. It was clean and cozy - nothing too special. What really got me were two things. First, we had a bottle of wine and I went down to see if I could get some wine glasses. The response was "red or white." The other thing that left a really good impression on me was when I asked what time breakfast started, the response I got "what time would you like it to start?" It was exactly the kind of accommodating attitude that I look for in a B&B. I will stay here again.

1 Thank ndmets3
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Breakfast was very good, dinner in the inn's restaurant was delicious. Our room was spacious, although chilly at times and bathtub was small (old plumbing); guess its understandable with an old inn. Everything was otherwise clean and cozy. Innkeepers were very helpful and friendly, we loved the cheese and wine brought to our room. We did the Living Social offer which made for an incredible deal, and would likely go back without the deal too. We went in November, so were between seasons, but still found great hiking and day trips in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Let me start by saying I know it's a historic inn, and it's very old. I expected that. I was unimpressed with the service, however. Brian, was very nice and showed us to our room. That is where the service stopped. We were never asked how our stay was going, the woman at breakfast barely cracked a smile. Breakfast was very plain, things I could easily (and perhaps better) make myself. We went on a Living Social deal so tax and tip was not included in breakfast. The room was mostly what I expected. It seemed very clean and tidy. The gas fireplace worked well, but it got hot very quickly, so we didn't use it too much. The shower stall was ridiculously small. It was like a coffin. I think there was room in this bathroom for a larger stall. The water temp was like a roller coaster, hot, too hot, cool, cold all during 5 minutes. The mattress needs replacing badly. It was comfortable but we kept "rolling" into the valley in the middle. We stayed in Room 4 (Green Mountain) and room 5 is right next to it and you can hear EVERYTHING. When they opened their door I thought someone was coming into our room. The location of the inn is perfect, very close to Mount Snow and lots of other restaurants. At checkout I was never asked about my stay, how I liked it, if I enjoyed it, etc. I thought that was very rude. I do recommend the restaurant, but not the bar, it's VERY tiny and loud.

Room Tip: Don't choose rooms 4 or 5 if you want privacy!
2 Thank michelyn318
Beverly Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Like many others, we had a Living Social deal that we used for a nice snowboarding weekend at Mt. Snow. Phil, the innkeeper, was very kind and showed us around the inn when we arrived. We stayed in the Green Mountain Room which was perfect for us...the fireplace made everything so nice and cozy. The dinner we had was yummy, but the breakfasts were delicious!

The charm of the inn made the whole weekend cozy. We loved the uneven floors, woodburning fireplace in the common room, and the wooden beams. The shower was a little tight, but we have been in MUCH tinier rooms/bathrooms at some inns so we were very happy with our room.

The proximity to Mt. Snow made getting to the slopes so easy. We did not receive a picnic lunch or small pizza that was listed in the original deal, but we were snowboarding at Mt. Snow all day so we wouldn't have used it anyways. After our tiring day on the hill, we came back, turned the fireplace on, and vegged out for the rest of the night...such a perfect getaway from our usual crazy life!

Would definitely stay here again!

Norwood, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed at the Inn in mid-January to go snowboarding at Mount Snow. I've never stayed at an Inn before, and I was very pleased with my stay. Upon checking in, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They walked us to our room and showed us around the Inn. We got to the Inn fairly late on Friday evening, and we were happy to see that the restaurant was open till 10pm for dinner. The food we had was extremely good. The menu is limited but the selection was great. The tavern was a nice little bar, perfect for having a drink after a day of skiing or winding down for the evening. Greg the bartender was very friendly, and gave us a lot of information about the area. Weekends have great live music, and unfortunately, we missed the magician on saturday night, but heard from others that he is amazing.

Our room was fairly small, but I had to remind myself that I'm staying at an Inn, and we did not get a suite. The room was a bit on the cold side at some times, but also need to remember you're staying in a house that was build in the 1800's, I'm sure they have some drafts, and it was -9 that night. Definitely will come back to this place again, as it was a great experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Gray Ghost Inn
#2 of 9 in Dover
The Nutmeg
The Nutmeg
#2 of 10 in Wilmington

Been to West Dover Inn? Share your experiences!