“Great New England Inn if you are in this area”
Review of West Dover Inn

West Dover Inn
Ranked #4 of 12 Dover B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great New England Inn if you are in this area”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We've stayed here a couple of times and enjoyed both trips. It's nothing fancy, which I think is kind of the idea with a stay like this. It's classic New England, with very friendly people, nice bar area, good food, etc.

The rooms were fine as well. If you are looking for high-end then this isn't for you, but if you are looking for comfortable spot I think you'll be fine here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Opinionsareus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Let me start by saying, this is the first time my husband and I have ever stayed at a B & B together. I actually briefly lived in an inn as a child when my mother was an innkeeper on the CT Shore. I knew what to expect from a B & B experience. Personally, I am more of a hotel person. I knew this going into it. Normally, we would stay in a hotel, however we were attending Wilco's Solid Sound Festival in North Adams, MA. Accommodations in the Berkshires vicinity is all B & B's. We decided to venture over the MA border to VT because neither of us had been to VT before.

Well, the inn is cute and quaint. Rustic with old furniture. To hotel people, it will seem old. Like you are staying at your grandma's house where grandpa needs to do some repair work. It even has that musty smell. But some people like that. My husband thought it was odd how the tavern was decorated like a modern's sports bar with jerseys and fan apparel. He thought it would have fit the motif more if there was less of that and more historical things. That's a personal choice, whatever. I am not here to tell people how decorate things.

Onto our actual stay. We had informed the innkeeper, Phil, that we were attending the festival. He mentioned how other guests the night before had also attended and got in late. He explained he would leave the main front door and dining room entrance open for us to walk through the tavern and up to our suite. Well, after a great evening of music, we arrived to the inn. We walked through the front door, that was indeed left open. We were greeted by a friendly husky dog. We went to open the dining area door and it was locked. I felt like the dog looked at us and just shrugged. So we went to the tavern entrance outside. It was locked. This, folks, is a perplexing situation. Since our suite was on the other side of the inn, the only way in was through the tavern. At 12:30 am, we did not want to wake the innkeeper. So, my husband, being resourceful, popped the screen window of the window next to the tavern door, and we entered via the window. This was one of the most comical predicaments of our relationship. I had all I could do from laughing loudly and waking the whole inn. Dead tired we headed to our suite. After freshening up, we climbed into bed. This is when we discovered the walls were paper thin. We could hear the couple in the suite next to us going at it all night. Groaning and everything. Eventually, we fell asleep.

The room itself was clean. I have no complaints about that. Like I said, it felt like you were sleeping at your grandma's house. Definitely not my thing. I am more of a hotel at a tropical destination sort of girl. But for where we were, it was alright. Breakfast the next morning at the tavern was excellent. I am a bit of a french toast aficionado. It got my seal of approval.

My recommendations? If you are a picky person who likes new and modern, this is not for you. You will not enjoy this. If you love the charm of new england B & B's, this is right up your alley. Just make sure they don't lock you out at night! ;)

2 Thank Tracy-ann S
Bridgewater, CT
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Just a beautiful place in southern Vermont, the people, the surroundings were all perfect. We dined there the evening of our arrival and it added to the ambiance of no pressure. We didn't need to exert any effort to unwind. We took a walk down the road after dinner and it turned out to be a gorgeous clear evening with many stars. Glorious to say the least.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We did not enjoy our stay at all! We booked two nights but we ended up leaving a day early because it was gross, some things were clean but you could tell that the furniture was very very old and dirty. The food was extremely overpriced for being nothing special and you could tell Phil was a very cheap man because so many things needed fixing. It was gross and the front desk room is really messy. I have never made a bad comment before on a business but we were just really unhappy with this Inn, very gross

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hannah232
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We were given a thirtieth wedding anniversary gift to this establishment from our sons through LivingSocial.com... what should have been for a weekend getaway became a one night stay when the certificate wasn't used in six months... the proprietor Phil was not very nice during the phone call to make the reservation and sent a terse email confirmation... upon our arrival he seemed pleasant enough and brought us to our room... gave us information on areas open to guests and told us what time meals were served in the attached restaurant (which he also owns). Our room was clean and quaint. It was called the garden room because of the flowered wallpaper. The bed was comfortable enough but was held up by some makeshift wedges since there was obvious damage to where the sides meet the footboard. We ate in the restaurant that evening a decent if not pricey meal for a mountain tavern. The following morning we decided to forgo their breakfast and looked for Phil, we found him in the tavern, and said we were leaving... his only concern was we weren't staying for breakfast (no one else was in the tavern)... then he went back into the kitchen... no pleasantries of "thanks for staying" or "have a good day"... left a very bad taste and no reason to return here.

1 Thank Wondosi327
Albany, NY
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This is our second time coming to the area in as many years to participate in the Green Mountain Adventure Challenge. Both times we have stayed at this delightful inn and been charmed by the owners, Phil and Kathy, and their son, PJ. The inn is cozy and the people make you feel at home. Our package came with breakfast, which is cooked by Phil and is wonderful! Kathy made homemade coffee cake each morning which was amazing! We can't wait to return and would recommend this inn to anyone.

Ames, Iowa
Reviewed 16 May 2013 via mobile

This is our last night at an exceptionally friendly and lovely inn. The rooms are very nice, spacious and well maintained. The attached tavern features an excellent menu and is very accommodating. Their awareness of gluten allergies was particularly appreciated. The staff is friendly and outgoing; very helpful. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2013