“Cute and comfy bed & breakfast”
Review of West Dover Inn

West Dover Inn
Ranked #2 of 12 Dover B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Love this place. I stayed here a couple months ago with some friends who had got some sort of Groupon or Living Social deal for the Green Mountain Adventure Challenge (fun and very challenging treasure hunt in Dover) - because the reservations were already set, I didn't do my usual obsessive pre-travel research on the place, but was pleasantly surprised at the accomodations. We stayed in a family-type suite which was very comfortable and made us feel at home right away. Dinner and breakfast in the dining room were delicious, and the bar had some nice local VT beers on tap. The staff were all very nice and welcoming too. They said the place is packed during ski season, so I was glad to catch it on a quieter weekend in the fall (though we did meet quite a few fellow treasure-hunters). Only drawbacks were that they ran out of oysters by the time we made it to the raw bar happy hour, and we didn't find One Eyed Willie. Otherwise, a successful trip and a whole-hearted recommendation for the Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kamaaina_cutie

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the West Dover Inn with another couple while taking part in the Adventure Challenge centered in Dover, VT. The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable, and while we did not spend much time in the room, it possessed a genuine Victorian B&B charm. After a day out on the trails, dinner at the West Dover Inn's restaurant was just what we needed! We sampled something from every course and we enjoyed each of the courses, although the desserts were certainly my favorite! The entertainment during dinner also enhanced the atmosphere with music that was played at the perfect volume where you could enjoy the company you were with while also enjoying the songs being played. The owners are incredibly hospitable and worked diligently to ensure all of our needs were met. I would definitely recommend staying at the West Dover Inn if you are looking to enjoy a weekend up in the Dover area!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meaghan G
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Everyone was nice, Phil the innkeeper, was entertaining and the food was great.There was a talented local musician playing in the bar to add to the fun. We will visit them again, maybe at a different time of year to capitalize on the beautiful area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My husband and I recently visited the West Dover Inn on October 9-16, 2013. We have stayed there before and will continue to do so when we travel to Vermont because we really love the Inn and all the people associated with it.

We always stay in the Mount Snow Suite because it is convenient to the parking lot with a quick walk and some stairs to our room. We enjoy this suite with its warm and cozy fireplace and views to the wooded back of the property as well as the weather status for Route 100. The bathroom is roomy with Jacuzzi tab and the bedroom is comfortable, with a queen size bed. Although the room is situated over the bar, we have never had problems with noise interfering with our sleep. And everything is kept very clean.

The bar is welcoming with cozy atmosphere, friendly clientele, good drinks and live music Thursday through Sunday. While they have a bar menu if you choose to eat dinner in the bar, my husband and I enjoy eating in the dining room where there is a wood burning fireplace. Both bar and dining room menus have a wide variety of very delicious food and the Chef does a fantastic job on all the meals. My husband and I have no favorites because the meals are all so good. Phil, the owner cooks a delicious breakfast and again, there is a variety from which to choose. All the staff members are very warm and friendly and we enjoy chatting with them while we are there.

Phil, Kathy and Lauren, the owners really make an effort to ensure that you enjoy your stay. They are very easy going and have lots of great ideas for how you can enjoy your stay in the area, whether it be sports, sightseeing or just a day trip in the car. For those who enjoy skiing, Mt Snow is just a mile north of the Inn and there are nearby places to snowmobile, snowshoe, hike and kayak. Bennington and Brattleboro, which offer places to eat and shop, are about a half hour away. Whenever we visit, it honestly feels like coming home, to a most relaxing and comfortable place, so Phil always makes a point to say “Welcome Home” when we visit.

I highly recommend this Inn. The lodging, food, drink and activities are all excellent and the people at the Inn make it even more inviting. We always enjoy our stay at the West Dover Inn and intend on visiting again in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: The Mount Snow Suite is closest to the parking lot and you can see the weather conditions on Route 1...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Honestly from the pictures and the cost of the suite room rate, I was expecting at least a clean room. We had dinner in the dining room, the atmosphere here was nice, but the food was overcooked and dry. Then we were taken to our room. I found live bugs in the sink, a dirty towel or cleaning cloth not sure what in between the shower curtains on the tub, rug was not vacuumed. The cup holder in the bathroom had dust covering the top of it, the furniture was old broken and dated. My husband and I ended up leaving without a refund as we purchased our room from a charity auction, but since the room was so dirty, I didn't dare sleep in the bed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pooder68
Reviewed 20 September 2013

When I first researched this inn, the reviews seemed overwhelmingly positive. I was excited to get a living social deal, and everything sounded just right. However, arriving at the inn, my boyfriend and I were disappointed. The inn was much more run down than the pictures showed. You immediately get a skeevy feeling when you walk in. You can tell they are trying, but as my boyfriend put it, they are in over their heads. Everything feels old and shabby, and not very clean. The towels are really old and smell kind of nasty. Everything in the room made me nervous - like it was dirty, and I'm not a germaphobe at all. The owners are very nice and helpful, but it doesn't really make up for the drab, depressing feel of the place. It needs major work. Breakfast came with the deal that we got, but I really didn't even want to eat there. The food was just so-so and the coffee and juice was undrinkable. Orange juice was watered down and clearly from concentrate - it even had ice in it. There is a restaurant and bar, but the decor is really cheesy and the furnishings have seen much better days. The location of the inn is right on a noisy, busy main road. There is not a lot to do in the area and the entire region seems kind of run down, but if you get creative and enjoy hiking and exploring, its not so bad. It was a challenge finding a decent restaurant in the area as well. We were looking for restaurants that weren't super fancy/expensive, and everything else was mediocre at best. Best bet is in Bennington, which is about 30 minutes away. Pretty much every activity we did was at least a 20-30 minute ride away. Again, the owners seem to be trying, but are definitely missing the mark.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank josiemonkey
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We've stayed here a couple of times and enjoyed both trips. It's nothing fancy, which I think is kind of the idea with a stay like this. It's classic New England, with very friendly people, nice bar area, good food, etc.

The rooms were fine as well. If you are looking for high-end then this isn't for you, but if you are looking for comfortable spot I think you'll be fine here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Opinionsareus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Snow Lake Lodge
Grand Summit Resort Hotel
Inn at Mount Snow
Inn at Mount Snow
#7 of 12 in Dover

Been to West Dover Inn? Share your experiences!