“We go every year, and for a reason.”

Grand Summit Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Fairfield, Connecticut
“We go every year, and for a reason.”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I've been going to the Grand Summit since I was really, really small. and my father's been going for about 25 years. We love it, and it's great because we always go with family friends and have a wonderful time. The number one about this resort is that Mt. Snow is literally right there. Like a hotel on a beach, only the beach is a mountain. To me, The Summit's like a second home. I know every inch, and I love it. The hotel provides ski check, and rentals. Spectacular views are usually available, but, I'm not gonna lie, they're not always too great. It might just be me, but the hotel is also pretty easy to navigate in and find rooms, which I always found pretty convenient. The staff there has always been kind and somewhat amicable. They're also usually foreign, and it's cool talking to them. Harriman's, the restaurant inside, is likewise very nice. Great food. Room Service also doesn't take very long. Many takeout/takeaway places deliver to the hotel too. The rooms in the Great Summit differ very much. I personally don't think the room should really matter, although they are quite nice, because you're gonna be out skiing/snowboarding all day on the wonderful Mt. Snow. There are great slopes and trails. Lessons are also available for smaller children if wanted. When I'm there, after a long day of skiing, I like to get a massage, and the spa there is great. Oh, and the pool is really nice in the winter, outdoor but it starts inside near the entrance to the locker room and it's always heated. The double hot tubs are also very soothing. The kids can kinda get annoying though around 8pm. Across from the locker room doors there's also a sauna and a steam room(I prefer the sauna) they're very relaxing. Sitting in the lounge area on the 1st floor is also a fine way to make a few friends. If you want a great place to stay in the perfect spot at the base of a mountain, I think you should book Grand Summit. Go take a look at the photos from our most recent trip

Room Tip: Book early, and go often.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ChanaBatKalmen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We did not use a lot of the nice facilities. Mostly used it as a base for trips to locations within an hour's drive for sightseeing. Room was spotless and very comfortable and well equipped. Whole resort was beautifully kept up. Restaurant was not so good, but little deli for take-out worked great. Nice touch to have salt, pepper and coffee makings for a couple of days provided. Nice pool area, fitness room, coin-op laundry with a reasonable number of machines. lots of nice places to sit. Quiet except for our room was right above the service loading area and construction, so noise from outside at night. Otherwise very quiet. If upper lot full, complimentary valet parking. Only needed to use it once. We should have walked the trails - looked beautiful.

Room Tip: We were at the end of a hall on the first floor and right over the loading area. I have heard peopl...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank huntejk
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed here from July 8 - 15 on anRCI exchange. Then we added an extra night and ended up leaving on Saturday. Lots of positives. We had a lock-out unit (GL207-209). It was a studio (with a drop down murphy bed and pull out couch, kitchen) and the lockout hotel room (2 queen beds). There were 4 of us. Plenty of room. Good cafe (cafeteria style) in the hotel where you can get breakfast & lunch. Nice different daily salads, fruit etc. Restaurant in hotel is also good, but can be expensive. Town on Wilmington is about 15 minutes away - places to eat there. For families, petting farm in Brattleboro is a MUST. Both my kids had a great time (13 and 17). Nice pool with hot tubs, gym, spa. Definitely will go back there. They have complimentary valet parking - we used. ALL the staff is VERY nice and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Christine K
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Well, my title says it all.

The only thing that I found nice during this stay was the valet service personnel.

The buffet, which is a rip off, offered cold scrambled eggs, and a very small variety of food.

What a complete rip off.

The rooms/hallways, etc are extremely outdated. The beds are so uncomfortable, my spouse and I couldn't sleep.

There were KIDS EVERYWHERE. Screaming, running down the halls - UGH - ONE WORD - CONDOMS.

I'd rather stay in my car for a better sleep.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank SleeplessINct
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 March 2011

This hotel and Mount Snow Resort as a whole are poorly managed and maintained at best. One visit from a couple of professional guests tells it all. Dirty facilities everywhere. Overpriced, poor quality food. Unprofessional and unhappy staff at every venue. In our oppinion...don't bother with Mount Snow.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stillskin1
Wilton, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Booked a last minute one night stay. Rooms/hotel are dated but if you can overlook that for proximity for ski in/out and restaurant onsite/ lift ticket window convience it is absolutely worth it. We had a studio/murphy bed. Not all studios are same the 1st one we checked in to was small overlooked parking lot and little dingy, we opted to move for better view which was slopeside. Same accomodations, but the room was bigger, more updated and better view. Both rooms had a full kitchenette - stove/oven, microwave, full size refrigerator, coffee pot (teas/coffee included). A family of 4 could stay in the larger studio room that had a pull out couch, it would be tight, but doable for a couple days. All the employees were so nice and helpful. The food at the Harriman Restaurant was quite good and again two thumbs up for convience. When trying to book online said I couldn't because only wanted one night, when I called the 800 number I was able to book the night, plus lift tickets and package including breakfast. It was a great last minute getaway that I would do again.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sharptravellers15
F'burg
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Service by most individual employees was excellent. Although we had to wait several hours for check-in, front-desk employees made us comfortable and updated us frequently, in the end accommodating us earlier than originally predicted. We did not experience the late-night noise of which others have complained, nor did we permit running or boots to be worn after entering the room. Ski school instructors were terrific, remembering children's names from day to day and progressing them as appropriate. Other family members enjoyed the spa, yoga, and snow-shoe tours. However, the restaurant facilities are inadequate. We frequently had to wait nearly an hour or more at breakfast and dinner to seat our family, an untenable delay for guests at the hotel's own facility.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank nanacake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Snow Lake Lodge
#5 of 12 in Dover
Gray Ghost Inn
Gray Ghost Inn
#2 of 12 in Dover

Been to Grand Summit Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!