“One of the nicest family getaways”

Grand Summit Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Are we crazy for going skiing during Feb vacation week? Perhaps. But you go when you can, right? (We stayed from Friday night to Tuesday.) We were fortunate to have been offered use of a friend's timeshare at the Grand Summit. We arrived Friday night, Feb. 14 around 8:30 to a chaotic scene. Oddly enough, it was a rather organized chaotic scene and aside from kids running around like spinning tops, the process of checking in went very smoothly. If you go during this time, bring your love of children with you and don't be afraid to strike up conversations where you can with parents. A friendly demeanor will go a long way.

From the friendly valet parking staff who help unload entire car-loads at a time with a generous smile, to the front desk who assured me that it would not be a problem when my college aged children showed up at 2am to meet us at the hotel - everyone was helpful. I did not find any staff member who was less than their best.

The room itself was ample and spotlessly clean. (Always number one on my list.) The Murphy bed was comfy and the kitchen well supplied. We did, indeed use it - stove/oven, too. I would have told you that the pull out mattress was a bit beat, but my 20 y/o son told me it was more comfortable than his dorm bed. 'nuf said. There was plenty of room for ski boots and snow boots alike. (Skis get checked in at a little heated hut out side the first floor and steps away from the slopes.) There were also MANY hangers in the closet - which was good because there was only a 3-drawer wardrobe which housed the TV. The unit is dated - the mic and stove and dishwasher are not new but they worked well and again, were clean.

If you go during ski season, bring a boot warmer to dry out mittens/gloves, as they strictly disallow gloves/etc on the heating units. (There is a laundry facility on the ground floor.)

You absolutely cannot beat the ski on/ski off feature. We did not have to battle the amazingly crowded lodge areas just to warm up in sub-zero wind chill temps. (Yes, we poked our heads in and we were elbow to elbow with people pushing and shoving their way around.) Instead, we could ski back to the hotel, head upstairs for a hot cocoa and 30 min later head back out again. It was heaven and spoiled me terribly.

You should check out the outdoor hot tub. Again - there will be a ton of kids during vacation week - but get there before the slopes close and you will have a bit of "ahhhh" time. I actually got a bit of a sun burn.

Make reservations at the hotel restaurant early if you expect to eat there. Otherwise, go a bit later for a local craft brew on tap and some live music. (Did I mention the groups of friends that will eat at the bar because they do not make reservations? They will hog up the seats and then not sit at them while their kids run among them. Either bring your patience with you or go at about 9pm.)

We also took advantage of private ski lessons. Pricey, yes, but worth it, in my opinion. My daughter and I took a 2 hour lesson together. There's always something new to learn and work on when skiing. The instructors are patient and really love their craft as well as sharing it with students. (Shout out to Larry. )

I found everyone who worked at this resort to be on top of their game this week. From the housecleaning staff to the chair lift employees. It was so freakin' crowded on Saturday and Sunday and all these people had smiles on their faces and an ease in how they would help you. They even had ski staff placed at strategic places on the mountain to encourage speedy skiers/boarders to slow down.

Bottom line - you can't always choose when you get to go. But if you get up early, you can get about 4 or 5 runs in from the top of the mountain before the crowds get there and the runs get chopped up around 1 or 1:30. Monday and Tuesday were much less crowded. In my experience, the hotel staff did their best to make our stay enjoyable and was a pleasure to deal with.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa T

Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Grand Summit is the perfect location and has the best amenities for skiers. Our ski club returned for a fourth year and was not disappointed. There are plenty of sitting areas to meet up and the fireplace is very inviting. Of course, a car valet, a ski valet and an outdoor hot tub and pool only add to our enjoyment. As another reviewer noted, check in is not guaranteed until 6 p.m. but the hotel will check your luggage and you can use the lockers in the fitness room to change your clothes. When we arrive we leave our car with the valet and head off for the slopes. When we are done skiing we ski down to the hotel and check our skis. More often than not, our room is ready when we come back in from skiing. Our ski club loves the Grand Summit and would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SnowdriftersNY
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Booked a very expensive room, arrived at 3PM to check in....but amazingly we were told our room wasn't available until 6PM! "It's resort policy"....no apology, no regrets, "it was stated on your reservation confirmation"....But no, it was NOT stated anywhere on our reservation confirmation! So, we spent a few hours with our luggage in the lobby....nice!

Check out time the next day was 11AM. I've never paid over $300 for a room I could only stay in for 17 hours....and nobody on staff had even the remote hint of being sorry for our inconvenience.

Never heard a thank-you from anyone, either. I consider friendly service a priority, being on the ski hill is not a good enough excuse for treating your guests like they are a bother.

The room: worn out. The towels: threadbare. The carpets: soiled and worn. The woodwork and walls: scuffed and stained.

This hotel should charge half the rates they are charging now, then it would be close to reality. And train the staff, there is no excuse for rudeness.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
11  Thank H_RobertsVermont
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This hotel's only feature is ski in/out. As my other reviews note, its not really a mountain worth skiing into or out of. Chances are, if there is a breeze, the lifts will not be running. In any case, that means more time at this dated old dame is worn beyond its years. The furnishings are tired and worn, and haven't been updated since the American Ski Company went bankrupt. The resort itself appears to be hanging on by a thread, which means no resources to put into this place. Breakfast is included with most stays, and its just an awful carb fest. My advice, choose a different mountain.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank seaskifamily
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I am not quite sure how this hotel has positive reviews. It is lacking at every level. I would consider it the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The only positive is that this hotel is ski-in/ski-out. Our bathroom was extremely small, with a single sheet of linoleum floor and a hole in the wall where the shower head was installed. The small shower rod was rusted. Paint is chipped along the baseboard. The vents were covered in dust. Our room included a balcony, but the lock on the balcony door was broken (meaning the door was always unlocked). There was also an armchair in the room set in a way that it blocked opening the balcony door. The bedding and sheets are such low quality and so rough that my husband joked that its only purpose would be to remove dry skin. Walls are paper thin that you can hear everything going on in the rooms next to you, above you, and the hallways. We were not offered any assistance in getting to our room, which was a very long walk from the single elevator bank. Finally, check-out is at 11 AM, which makes it very difficult to ski (the purpose of staying here) on the day you are checking out.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PAG224
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Spent this past week at Grand Summit Resort located on Mt. Snow and we can't wait to go back.
This place was amazing. I went with my mom and my 4 year old son for a little ski adventure and R&R. One of the best things about the resort is its location. It is located on Mt. Snow so you literally walk out the doors with your ski boots on and start enjoying the slopes. They even have a complimentary ski check at the back entrance of the hotel.

The hotel itself was amazing. The rooms were immaculate and we had a full kitchen, fireplace and flat screen TVs, in addition to a breathtaking view of the slopes. It was great to enjoy my morning coffee as I watched the early birds skiers coming down the clean slopes.

The resort has an outdoor heated pool and hot tub; it was an amazing way to end a fun day of skiing. We sat in the hot tub with our hats on and I couldn't stop thinking, "Wow its winter and I an outside in a pool".

Although we had a full kitchen and dining room we went to Harriman's Restaurant. It is a farm to table restaurant and it was great. The food was fantastic and the service was even better. I recommend the sliced sirloin. They had a great selection of wine too.

All in all a great trip to recharge the batteries from the day to day grind. Upon check out I left a piece of luggage in the room and the hotel tracked me down and went above and beyond to keep it safe. The housekeeping staff should be commended.
Thanks Grand Summit...Until we meet again.

Room Tip: Request a slopeside room
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend in January. Hotel is nice and location is awesome! It was very convenient being right in the mountain. We purchase our ski passes with the room and that was great as well. Room was clean and located right on the slopes. My only complaint was the bell service/ valley service was a little in organized. Also we couldn't find water anywhere for two nights. We had to go floor to floor and finally found water in the top floor vending machine but had to pay $3 per bottle! I did call down and the front desk actually hand delivered us water and ice but ofcourse we were charged $3 per bottle on our room. For the price we payed per night I feel like they should give a bottle of water per person in the room.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank angela3512
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Snow Lake Lodge
The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
West Dover Inn
West Dover Inn
#2 of 12 in Dover

Been to Grand Summit Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!