“Wonderful Relaxing Getaway”

Grand Summit Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have been going to Grand Summit for about 15 years. Three years ago, we decided to buy a quartershare so that we actually own the condo with 3 other couples. A great investment since we go there at least 3-4 times a year. And when we are not there, our weeks are rented out so there is nice income for us. Especially during ski season! The staff is always very accommodating and friendly. We love some of the restaurants in the area and are used to getting 4-star meals at them. Harriman's on site is very nice, too. We have never had a bad meal there. Service is always great. Since it only takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there from our home, it is extremely convenient. We highly recommend going there for a nice relaxing getaway.

Another reviewer said that May was not a good time to go there. Sorry, but our May experiences have been great. It is quieter (provided it is not the Tough Mudder weekend). We have been going in May and September for the last three years. We were there from May 25 - 30 this year (2014). Owners services called to let me know that the Tough Mudder was happening starting 5/31 which is when we were supposed to be there. But we changed to the week prior to avoid the madness.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a mountain view room. Rooms on the other side of the hall look out at the parkin...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 May 2014

The Grand Summit Resort Hotel is a sprawling facility with something for everyone--spa, game room, pool, etc. It's an older building (can tell by the creakiness of the floors), but very well-maintained. The marketplace offers a nice breakfast (or snacks throughout the day), and the staff were all very friendly. We were there during "mud season" (before the late spring/early summer tourist season starts), so it wasn't very crowded and many surrounding restaurants weren't open. The only downside was the limited parking out front and the need to park down a winding downhill road in a dirt parking lot (which is certainly not appropriate for professional meetings when it is wet/raining).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Eman R
Reviewed 11 May 2014

If it's may don't stay in west Dover at Grand Summit Vermont.
I have stayed here at least half a dozen times in the past four years most of those times have been in the summer or the fall. This was a first for spring . skiing season just ended two weeks ago here and there still snow on the mountain tops of Mount Snow. I don't ski but I'm not much for winter sports I prefer summer sports so I basically come here from New York City to chill out. We expected that the restaurant would be closed and many area attractions would be closed this time of year and that was fine. However what we did not expect was the service or lack thereof at the grand Summit Lodge where I have a timeshare. We actually have three units this week and there are five of us staying all women.
We're mostly from New York City so we really just wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle in the noise and breathe some fresh air in the green mountains of Vermont.
I booked this as an exchange through Rci and we each had one bedroom and studio units which are nicely appointed. The beds are very comfortable and it's a usable kitchenette and the Murphy bed is very comfortable.
As I said it was very quiet here or so I thought.
First it's a large lodge. Kind of feels like the shining and spring I expected for Jack Nicholson to jump out around the corner at me. Or at least have some big wheeled bicycles and a couple of twins asking me to come join them.
But what really was scary about this trip was at first we had some construction workers staying here and they put them on top of us and they were pouncing on the on the floor all morning at 6 AM.
Then they decided to test the in room fire alarms which are excruciatingly loud at 9 AM for three or more days in a row at several intermites.
Then they forgot to clean our room several days in a row or leave towels or anything else.
All that was fine and well but then they started doing construction in the one whole way out of many that we happen to be staying in.
When we arrived back to our unit from a day out here they were spraying chemicals and putting together construction on furniture in the hallways.
So far and we are still here we're lucky not to of been sent to the hospital.
As of yet they have not compensated us for any of these incidents.
Because of this I do not recommend that you come here in the spring in May or even June.
If you come anytime from June through October it will be many weddings taking place here on each weekend and the cars and motorcycles are numerous and it's very difficult park and the parties continue after after midnight. However during the week it's like a ghost town.
I stayed here before and have enjoyed my visits as long as it's not in the spring. When Harrimans restaurant is open it is excellent and have many different craft beers and local food it is Farm to table restaurant. However that is not open in May.
There's a huge pool and several hot tubs located outside that are open till 9 PM as well as a game room and owners library adding owners lounge that is accessible with your room Key.
There is a 70 inch flat screen TV in the owners lounge that is available for use if you get there first. As well as a full kitchen couches and games that you are able to utilize for your family or friends.

Room Tip: DONT GO IN SPRINGTIME, all renovations going on unannounced
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank campo84748
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Summit Resort Hotel at Mount Snow for a business conference being held at the Hotel. The experience was a very good one in every regard. Accommodations were very comfortable and pleasant. The staff was outgoing, friendly and fully attentive - just like you would find in a country inn. The location of the Grand Summit is beautiful even during this between seasons period in Vermont Ski Country. We used the facility amenities including the heated outdoor pool, spa area hot tubs, and steam and sauna rooms and all were in fine order and fully functional. The food at Grand Summit was the best we tasted on our three day trip; truly farm to table as advertised. Our dinners were exceptional and very competitively priced with local restaurants. Wonderful scenic location, fine accommodations, and good eats - hard to beat. I left the Grand Summit totally pleased at having had a wonderful stay and frankly, thinking I want to come back in the summer or during the fall change of seasons high tourist season in VT.

Room Tip: Our room was very nice - it had a outdoor balcony seating area. The room was fully outfitted with m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I decided to stay here because we knew it would be one of the last times we'd be able to ski for some time. We have splurged from time to time on the convenience of slopeside/on-mountain lodging. I would say of the handful of times, this place was the lowest value.

For what we paid here for a murphy-bed, studio style room, we have gotten quite a bit nicer accommodations at some of the other big mountains further north and in Maine. That being said, we knew what we were buying when we bought it, so this isn't complaining, just my honest opinion.

The room REALLY smelt like maple syrup, which was kinda neat right away since I'm a breakfast fan, but by the end of the weekend I started to get a headache; it may also have been the kids in the room above us who were seemingly having a track meet each night before bed as well as each morning before hitting the slopes...but I think it was the smell.

The lodge itself is really nice and very relaxing. Welcoming great room with fireplace in the lobby as well as a smaller one on the balcony of our floor that overlooked the lobby. The only parking option is valet, which I guess we've come to expect when staying at these places, but I much prefer the option to unload and park myself; I just think valeting is silly, but I understand the service I guess. I did try to tip the guy and he actually seemed confused. I was caught a little off guard by that, which made me think that when people spend the money to stay here, maybe they EXPECT the valet service. I still figure you should take care of the people who are taking care of your stuff, so I made him take it.

We got there late Friday night and the first food option we found open was the restaurant in the lobby; the name escapes me but it had something to do with farm fresh or farm to table. This was the biggest disappointment of the weekend. We settled on a couple burgers and fries. These things were $15 a piece, and they weren't worth $5. This is where our breakfast vouchers were for each morning, and thank goodness they redeemed themselves in that area.

Ski valet was great, pretty standard in our experience. Right out the back door, and they were very quick. You walk across a little service road behind the resort, and 10' up a small hill, strap your gear on and ski right over to the Sundance lift. At the end of the day you can ski right down to the same service road, un hook, and drop your stuff back off.

The main issue at the resort was dinner, and specifically the hours. Our own faults by all means, we didn't pay close enough attention to the hours of the restaurants, we just figured it was a resort so they must stay open "regular" restaurant hours. Most of the places closed at 6, the rest at 8. We ended up having dinner Saturday night the same place we had lunch that afternoon: 1900' Burger. Thank goodness the food there is EXCELLENT and their price is half that of the lobby restaurant. Be sure you take a peak at the various restaurant hours, especially if you like to eat a little later.

Overall it was a nice weekend. If we ever find ourselves out this way again we will definitely consider staying here again. The value is not so great comparatively, but we justify it by the fact that it is a really nice mountain, and it is so close.

Room Tip: The murphy bed is in fact a murphy bed and as such is not so comfy, but it does work. If you can ju...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kyle A
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My sister and I met up here to ski on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We stayed in room 143. The room and housekeeping were great. The bed was extremely comfortable. The included buffet breakfast was good (scones and coffee were delicious). The hostesses were very friendly. The dining room kinda reminded us of a cafeteria. We really wanted to stay somewhere that included breakfast and was right on the slopes so we could maximize our ski time.

There were kids everywhere. We didn't mind because we both love kids, but they were all over the place. The hot tub was too crowded but I would have enjoyed it if there had been less people jumping around. The sauna was really nice and hot, but again, crowded. The steam room smelled so I didn't go in there.

We skied all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We could ski right up to the hotel floor that we were on! We just left our skis outside and could go in for a quick break. We loved that!!! Walking to a lift from there took about 3 minutes. When we got back to the room it was always clean. Housekeeping never let us down!

On Friday night we asked the valet for advice on where to go to dinner in town. They are very friendly and eager to help. They recommended a restaurant in town that was wonderful. I think it was called the Dover Gorge.

We stayed in the room and made dinner Saturday night...it is really cozy and like I said the bed was sooooooooooooooo comfortable. You can borrow DVD's from the front desk but we just watched episodes of "Friends" on TV and romantic comedies like "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" and "He's Just Not that Into You".

The front desk always answered our calls and were helpful.

Room Tip: If you want to ski right up to the floor with your room on it, choose rooms in the 100's!!! We w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank missmelissamitchell
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This hotel has a great location! It is ski in/ ski out with a very efficient ski valet. The hotel is very basic. We were in a studio with a pull out sofa bed & a Murphy bed. Not a very comfortable room! I had a great service at the spa, although the spa, was a bit of a joke. The restaurant had no ambiance. Breakfast was included & was average. Not great, not horrible.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Snow Lake Lodge
The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Deerhill Inn
Deerhill Inn
#1 of 12 in Dover

Been to Grand Summit Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!