“Returning guest”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dover
Cleveland, Ohio
“Returning guest”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Ive been staying at at Snow Lake for a week - each of the past 5 years.

1. Cheapest accomodations within walking distance of the resort - check
2. May be a little outdated but its a ski lodge in an older part of the country, not much to complain about besides the occasional lumpy mattress
3. Continental breakfast and Walt's Pub are perfect for early energy before heading out to ski, or late nite munchies and one last drink before heading to bed
4. Great views of the lake, and much of Mount Snow, beautiful at sunrise and sunset.
5. Indoor and outdoor hottubs, and indoor sauna are definitely a plus for any ski destination
6. It lies at the base of one of the Hands-Down best ski resorts East of the Mississippi - Mount Snow.

Overall I do highly reccomend Snow Lake to anyone looking to travel to Mt. Snow. The value and distance to the mountain and surrounding town (dont forget to take the FREE MOOver shuttle system) are unmatched at lots of other North-East ski resorts - trust me, I've been to nearly all of them.

Enough reviewing, Time to pack for our next trip to Snow Lake on March 21st!

Room Tip: I personally like and have chosen the 4th floor (top floor) with a room viewing the lake and base of...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Middletown, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Over all I would say that I had a ok stay at the lodge. We booked a basic double bed room.

Positives:
-Location! Right down the street from the base lodge. Just a 5 minute shuttle ride away.
-Friendly and accommodating staff.
-Clean room and a clean, bright bathroom.
-The continental breakfast was adequate it was just enough food to get the day started. Nothing fancy.

Negatives:
- The bed. I think it was one of the worst beds that I have slept on.
- The room was very tiny. If you are staying for more than one night or with more than 2 guests, I would consider booking a larger room.
- Very outdated. I kind of had the feeling I was staying in an old college dorm or old cruise ship.
- The walls are very thin. You can almost hear everything people were saying next door.

I would stay there again based on the price, location and cleanliness of the room. However,I will not stay there again until they update their beds. It was almost unbearable (and I have no back issues).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Donna B, Guest Relations Manager at Snow Lake Lodge, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to comment on your experience at Snow Lake Lodge. Our staff strives to provide the best service possible; it is always nice to hear compliments about them. I am sorry that you found the bed uncomfortable. We have replaced many of our mattresses and hope to replace the remaining mattresses this spring. Snow Lake Lodge is an 50 year old ski lodge; built in 1962 to the construction standards of the day. Unfortunately there are no plans to renovate it at this time to increase the size of the rooms or the thickness of the walls. We hope you enjoyed your stay overall and hope to see you back at Snow Lodge Lodge.
margate
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This is a low budget option near the mountain. Great rates especially if you include the lift tickets for added savings. Don't expect much more than a place to crash and you will not be dissappointed.
The breakfast is average at best, the mountain shuttle was 15 minutes late so I drove

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank azisling
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience at Snow Lake Lodge. Comments like yours do help us to improve our property and services. We do consider Snow Lake Lodge our economy lodging at the base of the mountain (and describe it as such). The location, the value and the excellent customer service are the highlights of this property. Money saving (advance purchase) Ski & Stay packages do offer an excellent savings on the lift tickets and the lodging. The MOOver shuttle bus is operated by the Deerfield Valley Transit Association. If the bus was running behind schedule, our apologies. They do have an excellent 'on-time' record.
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 March 2013

On the plus side: (1) The lodge staff are friendly and helpful, and they do their best. (2) The location is excellent -- fairly close to the Sundance base camp -- and the hotel offers a free shuttle service. (3) There are both indoor and outdoor hot tubs. (4) The continental breakfast included is pretty good. On the minus side is everything else: (1) Creaking floors above your head. (2) Frequent noise in the hallways and through the walls. (3) A sea of mud in the parking lot, unless you're lucky enough to park very close to the main entrance. (4) Only one eatery on the premises, serving mediocre food. Bottom line: an acceptable choice if price is your primary consideration. Otherwise you can do better.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top (4th) floor to avoid noise of people moving about on the floor above.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Donna B, Guest Relations Manager at Snow Lake Lodge, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Robert, Thank you for your comments. We certainly do appreciate you pointing out the positive aspects of your trip. I will focus my reply on the negatives you experienced during your trip. Snow Lake Lodge was built in 1962 and has not undergone the type of complete renovations that would address the thin walls and creaky floors. Renovations (most recently in 2010) have focused on the cosmetic aspects; new flooring, paint, bathroom fixtures, etc. Honestly, there is no plan in the immediate future for the type of complete gut/rebuild renovation that would address walls/floors. As far as the parking area, only the main lot closest to the building is paved. The section a bit further from the building is unpaved, as many spots in Vermont are, and when there is a warm-up as we evidently had during your visit - mud prevails. I will pass your comments about the food at Walt's Pub on to the pub staff; feedback such as yours will be taken into consideration. Thank you again for posting your thoughts and we hope to welcome you back to Snow Lake Lodge.
Albany, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I have been going to Mt Snow for 49 years -we rented ski houses for holiday weeks, weekend day trips growing up & normally just go for the day now. I remembered fondly SNow Lake Lodge and chose to go there this beautiful March weekend. Price was perfect and location ideal. Yay Moovers! My husband was frightened by all the negative comments but I prevailed. It was clean and staff was welcoming. Yes, it is dated but please! It is just a comfortable ski lodge that you see all over the Northeast. How many of the critics wore their boots from the muddy parking directly into their rooms? How can a hotel keep everything new and pristine when its customers don't care? We had nachos and chili for late dinner - good & no complaints. Continental breakfast is normally muffin, oj &coffee so we were pleasantly surprised to see more. The Hampton Inns, etc. have made people forget what a continental breakfast really is. My only complaint had more to do with a guest than w/hotel - the floors ARE creaky - you can tell when you walk on them. The person(s) above us got up at 6 a.m. both mornings and appeared to be aiming for 10000 steps before 9 a.m.!!! That is inconsiderate & bad manners! I thank the lodge for a nice stay and it didn't cost $1000...Wish the pool was open-wanted to show husband the pool we used to sneak into as teenagers! :) :)

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank P T
Thank you so much for posting your comments about Snow Lake Lodge. Often times, guests with possitive comments do not take the time to post their thoughts, and we appreciate that you took the time to do so. Many, many guests feel the same about Snow Lake Lodge as you do; the history, the nostalgia, the friendly staff, etc. The base area location is very convenient and we agree....Yay MOOvers (free local shuttle service provided by the Deerfield Valley Transit Association - painted like cows). We hope to see you and your husband back again. You'll have to visit in the summer to show your husband the pool, as it is seasonal.
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 March 2013

If you want to flash back to the late 70's stop in and check this place out. They haven't done a thing since then other than give the bathrooms a quick make over. The rooms are tiny and outdated. The room is about 10 x 12 if your lucky. The sheets were old and naughty. Luckily I was here on a guys trip because my wife would have turned around and left. This place is a great location, but you can stay a few mile away in much nicer places. I would never return.

• Stayed March 2013
We appreciate your feedback. Snow Lake Lodge was built in 1962. It has undergone updates over the years, most recently in the fall of 2010. Rooms received new paint, carpeting, drapes, bathroom fixtures and flooring. Common areas were also upgraded. The lodge has definitely not been completely re-built, therefore the size of the rooms are just what they were in 1962. I will pass your complaints about the bedding/sheets onto the management of the hotel and the housekeeping staff so they can address that situation. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Travellers are raving about these Dover hotels

Colchester, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 March 2013

My fiance & I stayed once in 2011 and again this year because of the close proximity to Mt Snow and reasonable price. The room layout is a bit odd, upon opening the door to the room you are looking right into the closet (which is a great size), and have to kind of shuffle your luggage to the right or left to get into the room. This trip we stayed in room 201, a corner room with a king size bed, desk and a recently remodeled bathroom. Our room had a great view of the mountain. The furnishings and linens are dated but clean. The only problem we had with our room was the thermostat, it was probably 20-30 degrees outside, I set the thermostat to between 65-70 degrees but woke up to a room closer to 50. (Possibly because of the thin walls?) Problem resolved when I cranked the heat to 80 to get it into the 60's. The lobby of the hotel is on the first floor, one level up from ground level. There are outside stairs or an elevator-helpful when carrying luggage. The front desk personnel were very friendly, they let us know that we could use their facilities after a day of skiing and we had no issues checking in or out. The only information I didn't get was that there was a continental breakfast. I didn't realize this until reading other reviews, perhaps it is only on weekends? We went off site for dinner and drinks but peeked into the bar when we returned which was pretty quiet, normal for a week night. Our bed was very comfortable, we woke up well rested and had a great day of skiing. We will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the mountain side for a great view
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Donna B, Guest Relations Manager at Snow Lake Lodge, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Thank you for posting your thoughts about Snow Lake Lodge. I am sorry that you were not informed about the complimentary continental breakfast upon arrival. For future reference, during the ski/snowboard season, Snow Lake Lodge offers the continental breakfast daily. I will inform our management and maintenance teams about the heating issue you experienced. I am happy you enjoyed your time with us here at Snow Lake Lodge and Mount Snow Resort. We look forward to seeing you again.