“Felt like home”

Layla's Riverside Lodge
Ranked #4 of 12 Dover B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Just got back from a great stay at the Four Seasons Inn in Dover, VT. We had a living social deal so did not pay full price but we felt that we got a solid value for what we paid. The hotel only had four other guests while we stayed and it was not heavily staffed during our stay. However, this added to a homey feel where we felt like we were staying with friends/ relatives as opposed to any old hotel. We arrived late so they left a key for us to let ourselves into our room, no questions asked. In fact, that was the only check in process. We had one of the suites which was very nice and cosy with a balcony, good sized space, fire place, and four poster bed. The only complaint of the room would be the mattress was not very comfortable. However, the space was very clean and well stocked and quiet for our stay. We ate two complimentary breakfasts and one dinner in the Hunt's Club restaurant and all meals were superb. The waitstaff was very friendly, welcomed questions, gave suggestions, and spent time helping us plan our trip. The breakfast and dinner both had great selection and despite not having a large crowd, they had everything in stock. The dining area was both "vermont classy" and felt like your own dining room at the same time. The owner's dog Leila was the sweetest thing and greeted you at every meal but did not beg, bark, or steal to bother the guests. We got great directions and recommendations of activities from the staff and had a great trip to Vermont. At the end, we just left the key with the staff on duty, paid the tax fees, and we were on our way. This is a great place if you want an enjoyable stay in a quality place but prefer a homey, personal touch in the process!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CaityK20

Reviewed 8 November 2012

We stayed here on a Living Social deal. I was really excited that they were dog friendly. The Inn itself is clean and tastefully decorated. Being we had our dog with us we had to upgrade to a suite room - they are the only dog frienly rooms, which was an additional cost. Our suite was very nice and it had a jacuzzi tub which took a while to fill but an added little luxury. They have gas fireplaces in the rooms but were not serviced to be used yet. The room was heated but a little ambiance would have been nice. There is a restaurant on site and I have to say the food was absolutely delicious! The deal we had came with a discount on the meal, otherwise it was priced on a higher end for the area. It still would have been worth it without the coupon as it was one of the best meals I have had. Everything was fresh. They have a BYOB policy and were very accomodating with that. They provide breakfast, which was also delicious, but there were only 3 things to choose from and they were the same both days (eggs, omlet or french toast). They have a kennel on site that could be great but the weekend we were there it was dirty (dried up dog waste on the floors) - it is included in the suite cost, we chose to keep our dog with us in our room at night or in the car during meals. Hopefully this was an isolated incident because it could be really great. There is also a fenced in outdoor run which is large. The only reason we did not use this is it was raining very hard when we got there and it was a little muddy. As others mentioned below they do not have someone sitting at the door when you arrive. Checking in may take a little searching. The place is really very nice and could be improved on in some areas. I definately would have been very dissapointed if I paid the full price for the room. I am sure they have a lot more traffic in the area in the winter during ski season so maybe they have more staff on. All of the staff were very nice, once you found them.

1  Thank CalalilyD
laylaVermont, Owner at Layla's Riverside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2012

Thank you for your review . We are still a young company really 14 months old . It is always nice to see where we could improve and thank you . We will make note of this and move forward , only to better serve our guests. Regards Sandy

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Schuylerville, NY
1.0 star rating
10/9/2012

If you see this as a living social deal, run as fast as you can. We booked a two night stay and when we arrived we were greeted with an unpleasant odor. There was only one person working that evening. He was the front desk clerk, cook and waiter. As it was late when we checked in, we put our bags in the room and decided to have dinner at the inn.

Our room was very plain and it did not even appear that our bed had been made. The room also had an unpleasant odor and was quite cold and other than the dingy bed spread, which we knew we would not sleep with, there was only one very thin blanket. Having a $20 credit for dinner, around 7pm, I opted for the tuna and my husband had the Caesar salad. At $24, the tuna was barely an appetizer portion atop a handful of greens and topped with soy sauce with a faint wasabi flavor, which was quite salty. The owner's dog was roaming the dim dining room putting his mouth on the table of the other guests, all of whom had to also endure the long wait for service from the same guy who was their chef for the night. The one employee was struggling in his attempt to manage the kitchen and living room. When we inquired about the complimentary breakfast, we told the options would be French toast, eggs or omelette. I asked if they had oatmeal as I don't eat eggs and I was told they had oatmeal and they might be able to look in the back for it. After retiring to our room, my husband went down to ask for an addictional blanket. There was no one to be found in the place after 9 pm. The room was so cold it was difficult to sleep, especially when you can hear the dog barking at 3 am.

The next morning for breakfast we were served coffee that looked and tasted like weak tea. Served in a glass mug, you could see through the coffee. Not good. The oatmeal was nothing more than packaged, sweetened instant oatmeal. After leaving in search of real coffee, my husband and I decided to cut our loses and we left to spend the second night of our get away in a hotel in another town.

The thought of spending one more night at the Four Seasons was simply too repulsive. I would also mention that the fresh cut flowers promised in the package were absent from our room. We didn't bother to ask for the promised maple syrup, either. Just not worth it. Worn down, old, weary, drabby, smelly, poorly staffed and operated and just not worth the price of admission.

Run, don't walk from this place.

19  Thank Kelly G

I must apologize for your unpleasent stay here . My only question is that you do not show up on any of our manifest or Living Socials manifest. A for booking with us or for purchasing a voucher. As to your completely negitive review it is always helpful to us to know the customer , that makes it a valid review and not one that goes so strongly against the past ones . Once again my apologies to you , Regards Sandy

Reviewed 24 October 2012

I bought the living social deal. $160 for a two night stay. My girlfriend and I went up for my birthday. Our check in was smooth and our room was small but clean. The complimentary "bottle of maple syrup was a 4oz container the size of a shot glass. We ordered dinner at the restaurant and it was terrible. I got burnt pork covered with raw pieces of potatoes. My girlfriend got the salmon. It was covered in strawberry jam and raw in the middle.
The next day when we got up we noticed that my wallet was missing from our room. It had all of my I.D.'s credit cards and over $300 in cash. We decided to check out of this shady place early because we didn't feel the rest of our belongings were safe.
Even though we only stayed one night they would not offer us any kind of refund!

8  Thank Shawn S
laylaVermont, Owner at Layla's Riverside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear Shawn,
It seems strange that your tone has changed. When you arrived here all was good . I saw you and spoke to you that morning as you two where walking out to hike . Our conversation was about how beautiful it is up here and what a great meal you had . I gave you a couple of choices of hikes and off you went around 10:30 . About 45 minutes later you came back and said you had lost I repeat lost your wallet. I as well as you look for your wallet with no luck. I understand what is like to lose a wallet , but to accuse people of going into your room and taking it is beyond any rational thinking. I understand the stress and feelings that come with that but to lash out at our Inn is really not the answer. As for your refund since you bought your package from Living Social , your refund should come from them. I understand your feelings and frustrations , Regards Sandy

Reviewed 19 October 2012

Innkeepers Sandy and Louis were both quite gracious and accommodating. We visited under a Living Social package, and they ensured all that was promised was delivered promptly. The rooms are all that they are advertized to be on their website http://www.fourseasonsinnvt.com/ and were immaculate. The Huntsman Club (in house restaurant), although offering limited fare during the off season, had excellent food and prompt service, and will be available for guests as committed regardless of the inn's occupancy. (It is BYOB.).
Very pet friendly (and expect to be greeted warmly by the house English Setter, Layla!)
Overall, a fantastic experience -- can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dan K
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at this place that will give us great smiles that come with the memory. As soon as we walked in to the lobby Layla, the resident dog, greeted us as if we were family. For the rest of our stay Layla would check in and even lie down next to my wife's feet as we ate breakfast and dinner. Louis was the friendliest host and sous chef. He even gave my wife inspiration for meals to be cooked in a Dutch oven in a firepit. Our room was much more than we expected with fine woodworking, a huge balcony and an enormous bathroom. We're very grateful for our stay at the Four Seasons Inn and for the staff (Layla included) for going above and beyond to see that we had a memorable time.
Peter and Bernadette

2  Thank Peter M
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My girl and I took advantage of the living social deal for this place, and it was delightful to say the least. The rooms were extremely clean and the bathroom was huge, and seemingly newly renovated. Spending Sunday to Tuesday in a ski town during the off season did not offer a huge amount of things for us to do, but we hiked Mount Snow and dabbled in some nearby winerys. The staff was very knowledgeable about other places to dine, and the food there was great as well. Heirloom tomato omelettes for breakfast every day are something that I could get used to. The owners have an english setter named Layla who patrols the property and will surely curl up to your feet during dinner. Pet-friendly for sure, we truly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bobafear
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
Gray Ghost Inn
#3 of 12 in Dover
Grand Summit Resort Hotel
The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Layla's Riverside Lodge? Share your experiences!