“Layla's feels like going home to the home you wish you had!”

Layla's Riverside Lodge
Ranked #4 of 12 Dover B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Layla's feels like going home to the home you wish you had!”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

From the food, to the staff, to the rooms no detail is forgotten, no point of luxury overlooked, no comfort too small to be left out. Layla's was so warm and inviting we skipped two days on the slopes just to hang out in the den by the fire and in our room with a huge two person jacuzzi. Our one meal away from Layla's was a mistake, the made to order breakfast were delicious and the dinners to die for. Can't wait to come back, a perfect vacation from our hectic lives. Thank you to Sandy and Rebekah for making our stay so great!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank joeowens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
NYC
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed for one night with 2 families - 7 kids and 4 adults. Every single person who worked there went above and beyond to accommodate us. Beyond that, the rooms were totally current, nicely appointed and comfortable. Keep in mind you are not booking the presidential suite at the Ritz Carlton. We also ate dinner here and the kids ate off the kids menu - all satisfied; the adults ate off the regular menu and we found ourselves eating gourmet food. Rivals very good restaurants in NYC. I highly recommend staying here. It exceeded our expectations. Thank you to Rebecca for going above and beyond our needs with a smile at every turn!

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Cartercartercarter
New Milford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I love to take road trips to Vt on the weekends. Layla's property is beautiful, and inviting. I love the relaxed atmosphere. Our room was clean, and comfortable. The bed was unbelievably comfortable. The restaurant located in the inn, has a fabulous menu, all fresh, local, and delicious food. Super friendly and accommodating staff. We will definitely return to Layla's, and even bring our dog to stay in their kennel next time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kimberly L
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I ordered a groupon for a two night, three day stay at Layla's Lodge. The photos of the groupon were unbelievable. So beautiful and looked like just our style. I checked the website and saw none of the same photos, instead old grandma looking spaces with dark cold guest rooms. I called before purchasing the groupon and asked why there was such a big difference. The owner said to me that he was afraid to go public with all of the renovated photos because he was unsure he wouldn't be ready for the crazy amount of business it would bring him. (I have NO clue why I believed him at this point) I explained that my husband and I were very picky about where we stayed, we would be driving a long way to come and that the reason we liked what we saw so much is because everything looked clean, fresh and bright! I then asked him how much of the facility had been renovated because I needed to be 100% sure I was coming to the same place I saw on groupon. He said to me "oh everything is basically done. About 97.5% of the lodge is renovated. Sure you might find some wallpaper hanging from the hallway, but this place is just amazing. The ONLY rooms not finished yet are the bunk bed rooms and I'm sure you and your husband aren't wanting to stay there, right?" Oh the owner was a charmer. He knew exactly what to say. He told us that Gordon Ramsey himself came and kicked his butt into gear and turned this lodge into an amazing place. So we ordered the King Suite and drove the 3 hours to the lodge. And here's where it gets disturbing:

We walk in and see none of what we saw on groupon. Wallpaper everywhere, it smelled so weird even my dog was trying to run back to the car. We weren't sure where reception was until we heard two guys calling out from this messy hole in the wall. The owner that I had talked to was there, standing barefoot in a tshirt to greet us. He showed us to our room and then left. I was in awe over what we found. Stains all over the carpet, furniture broken, missing blinds, and zero hint of renovation. The walls were so thin we could hear them down the hall. We were the only people there, too if that tells you anything. I immediately wanted to cry because this was supposed to be our anniversary getaway and we had been seriously lied to.

We packed everything up and asked where we could get our money back. The owner looked so shocked (I have no clue why, he obviously knew we would find out he lied) and told us we would have to contact groupon. So we left and drove the 3 hours to go home. A 6 hour trip for nothing. LUCKILY we got a full refund for the trip.

All the reviews I read were good and I have no clue why so I wanted to make a review myself. If you have the chance to visit Dover, Vermont, do NOT stay at this lodge. The owner is such a liar I can't understand how he lives with himself. I'm also VERY confused about why Gordon Ramsey would put his name on this place because frankly that is a huge embarrassment to him. Will never have anything good to say about Layla's Lodge and I hope everyone takes my advice to stay far far away.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
36 Thank BrittaneyAllen
LaylasRiversideLodge, Owner at Layla's Riverside Lodge, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
I am terribly sorry that we did not meet up to the expectations you had and that you drove the distance you did.
We strive to make sure all our guests, both 2 and 4 legged feel comfortable and welcomed at Layla’s Riverside Lodge. As explained we are still currently undergoing the renovations that were implemented by Gordon Ramsey and hope to be done soon. Our website will soon depict the renovated rooms.
With that being said, please allow us a second chance to make it up to you. Please contact me directly for a complimentary weekend. I will email you pictures of the room that day so there will be no misconception on what you will be walking into. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to Layla’s Riverside Lodge with the hope you return home with a smile on your face and a new outlook of us.
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 1 November 2013

All of the rooms look nice but make a point of getting one of the recently renovated ones if possible - very charming and great design. The fall drive up along the Mohawk Trail was fantastic. Staff was super-accommodating; we were there with our 3-month old son and they even secured a little private room for us for dinner so we wouldn't worry about disturbing the other diners. We were skeptical about eating there, but the food was outstanding. Go nowhere else for dinner! Beautiful grounds, nice little river behind the house. Really can't say enough - definitely heading back.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the Ramsey-renovated rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Gabriel W
Queensbury, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We booked Layla's because of the dog kennel and it offers so much more! Beautiful rooms, great location and AMAZING food.
It was such a pleasure to be able to kennel the dogs during the day and bring them "home" to your room at night. The staff had dog bowls and dog beds ready in our room.
We had a fabulous dinner at Layla's. Poutine, Pot pie and Molten cake were amazing! My husband had the farm NY steak and blueberry fruit crumble. Best fruit crumble he has ever had. Even the coffee was perfect! Amazing food and great service. Staff were laid back and we like that type of service. Layla is a sweetheart and will visit you often if she knows you are a dog lover. If you love dogs and enjoy their company, this place is perfect for you. Will be back!!!

If you are looking for a great breakfast, Dot's is just up the road.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dbleyenb
Methuen, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 April 2013

The Inn hosts Sandy and Kevin were great and made us feel at home. Food was great, rooms nice, bathrooms very clean. We're animal lovers and enjoyed having Laila the Inn's English Setter around. Vermont is one of our favorite places and will definitely go back to The Four Seasons Inn!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple