“Very disappointed”

Austrian Haus Lodge
Wakefield, Massachusetts
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were very disappointed by the poor condition of our room and what we got for our $150 per night. You don't always get what you pay for, and this was one of those cases. My brother was so embarrassed that he was the one who chose these accommodations for us. The entire hotel is tired. It has carpets that are old and worn, poor quality beds, the walls and ceiling are so thin you can hear everything around you. The bathroom is in poor shape. The packets of soap are impossible to open and so I had to use my shampoo to wash up with. The free continental breakfast had very few choices. No fruit was offered, and the butter tasted like the refrigerator. I have to say that the owners are very sweet and I wonder if they know how overpriced their room rates are. They don't seem like the type that would intentionally rip people off.

Room Tip: Look at all the reviews on TripAdvisor and yelp prior to booking. Pay for your room after you have...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
ahaus, Owner at Austrian Haus Lodge, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
I am sorry that your stay was not a positive one, no one mentioned anything to us while you were here that you had issues. The continental breakfast we have has many choices and most people seemed happy with it. We offer coffee, tea , juices, bagels, muffins, cereals (hot and cold), danishes, croissants, etc. A simple but varied offering I would say. You are the first to bring up problems with the soap packets. As far as the rooms go , I am constantly working on them to bring them up. From beds to carpets to bathrooms, the first floor has new carpets now as does a couple rooms on the upper floors, and some of the bathrooms have been redone as well. Our rates are in line or lower then most in our area.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I spent three nights at the Austrian Haus while skiing at Mount Snow recently. The proprietor is extremely friendly and available, the rooms are modest with a quaint charm (nothing remotely fancy), and the pool and sauna had a legit retro vibe (mainly due to being dated, but there's a charm to that).

If you are renting equipment, DO NOT go to the store that the hotel recommends, World Class Ski. Staying at the Austria Haus will get you 10% off, but the store is totally overpriced and the 10% still has you paying well over what you should. Also, the man who served me and my friends was a complete arrogant snob. This young guy with a goatee spent more time berating the equipment we own than trying to help us find what we needed. He charged us all sorts of services without informing us of up-cost. Soured all of us until we cheered up after a few good morning runs.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank dredgedtravel
billskis
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The Marriott or a bnb this is not. It's a pretty average motel. Pretty much what I expected. Pictures on the wall? Telephones when nobody uses them any more? 'cmon. I came midweek and got the $89 rate. Don't forget, VT has a steep lodging tax to add to it. The rooms are average in size. The beds and linens are clean and comfortable. The bath, sink and floors are all clean. The one place that could use some upkeep, from a presentation point of view was the caulking around the sink needs to be re-done and the bathroom shower diverter had been replaced in a slipshod manner. But it was entirely operable and I felt neither a safety or hygienic issue. I came midweek, down at the end of the main building, I think it was room 210. It was quiet, so I can't speak about noise -the other reviewer must have been there on a busy weekend. The room did not have odors, such as smoke, pets or mildew as I've experienced in other motels. It's set back a little from the road. I was there on a snowy night, so I really can't comment on highway noise. What the other reviewers have to say, well, the facts are right, the opinions vary. Continental breakfast was fairly simple - coffee, tea, cereals, juice breads, pastries, toaster. As a guy I had no problem, I could see that the fussier-type would. So, please look past the name and the facade. Set your expectation dial to "motel" and you'll nail it. Would I go back again? Yes. Would I recommended it? Depends who I was talking to.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank billskis
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 September 2013

All expectations were met for me. We came up here (myself, mom & two daughters ages 5 & 7). Our room was very nice, clean & comfortable. Anything I could expect was there (folded, clean towels, working television with remote etc.). I've read that the owner is extremely friending & helpful - which I would definitely concur. They made sure we had everything needed. When we were going out in the afternoon (after we checked in) he asked if anybody wanted a cup of coffee. I told him that my mother would (they were all in the car waiting for me). So he took the time to throw on a cup of decaf just for her. There is a game room downstairs which had 3 different types of games + a full size pool table. In the common area there is a fireplace along with books, magazines and a plethora of board games. The indoor heated pool and sauna were great. Myself and daughters swam for a couple of hours before going back to the room. Upon awakening the next morning, my kids went for another swim while I was in the common area using the WIFI to type this review. The main parking lot for Mt Snow is 4 miles from the Austrian Haus, which is great.

I feel like there is a time & place to stay in something like the Westin or W hotels, but thats not what we were looking for on this trip. Anybody that left less than positive reviews probably had the wrong expectation or is used to places that are $200+ a night.

We couldn't have asked for anything better on this trip. Owner will go out of his way to accommodate you. But please make sure you speak up and say something. It doesn't help any when you are 50 miles down the road headed home and then leave a lousy review.

Our family definitely would come back to Alpine Haus. It was a rather quick 4 hr & 22 minute trip from our home down south.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room on the 300 level. There will be nobody above you.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Greenlawn
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed here last year, with my two children. We LOVED it, and plan on going back. My daughter is 17, and my son is 16. This hotel in not the Ritz, but makes up for that in sooo many ways. It is SUPER close to the mountain! They have a main 'social area' where they hold a continental breakfast every a.m. We really liked hanging out there in the evening after a LONG EXAUSTING day of skiing. Wi FI available, which with two teen age kids, is GREAT! They have round the clock coffee which was nice. In the social area, they have big tables, and games available for both kids and adults, there is a fire place usually going, which after skiing all day, is nice to sit by with a glass of wine. The owners a SUPER nice, very acomodating. We will for sure try to go back soon!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2013

After reading some of the reviews on here I have to say If you're expecting the Ritz, then you don't realize where you are. However, if you're looking for a wonderful place with a relaxed-cozy-easy-going-feel then this is for you! The owner/inkeeper is the best and very friendly. Our room was perfect and had a comforting warm feel. The common areas were very nice and the fire place was great to cozy up to after a night of skiing with a glass of wine (or chocolate martinis!). Waking up to a hearty continental breakfast was a wonderful way to start the day and then to come back in the evening to a variety of hot beverages was just the cherry on top. I am without a doubt going to be visiting the Austrian Haus again!

• Stayed March 2013
Boston, MA
Reviewed 16 March 2013

The room was a bit tired and worn. The most bothtersome thing is that is was not very clean, especially the bathroom and tub. Owners seemed nice enough but the property is not.

All the places in Dover during ski season have similar inflated prices but Austrian Haus will really leave you feeling badly about what you paid for what you got.

Look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ss_6

Travellers are raving about these Dover hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
Snow Goose Inn
Snow Goose Inn
#5 of 12 in Dover
Mount Snow Condominiums

Been to Austrian Haus Lodge? Share your experiences!