“A Slow Death”

Ranked #22 of 29 Restaurants in Dover
Wilmington, Vermont
“A Slow Death”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Tenish years ago this Inn and Restaurant were a thriving enterprise and since then its been a downward spiral for the place which in recent years lacks but one or two cars in its parking lot.
The other night my wife and I decided to try the place. The once becoming lounge and dining room were shabby and not chic. The table we were seated at, though clean, was a rough and unbecoming surface which some reality show guru shuld have had clad with a table cloth, The drapes appeared home made and about a foot to long. The general appearance was slovenly.

On the bright side, the food was poor to fair. My wife had a roasted tomato soup which arrived as a nice sized portion which proved enjoyable but with a bit to much of a kick for her. My crab cakes wwere two good sized portions, a bit dry, and covered (excessively) with aioli.
The crabcakes came with a small salad which was a nice compliment.

For entres, my wife selected a shrimp and pasta dish which when served looked great. Unfortunately it was ice cold but when it reappeared the problem was rectified any she enjoyed a large portion of pasta and shrimp. I ordered thed Chicken Pot Pie which arrived with a pastry puff which rivaled a Chef's hat. While impressive, it became a source of pastry flying all over the place creating a mess. The pot pie eas stuffed full of chunks of chicken, gobs of fresh veggies but lacked sufficient gravy to satisfy my taste.

Both my wife and I felt that while the owners and staff were trying, the years of a lack of a strong customer base will contribute to an impending demise.

1 Thank chap914

Been to Layla's? Share your experiences!