“Biggest Surprise in Dover/Wilmington Vt”
Review of Layla's

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Layla's
Ranked #22 of 29 Restaurants in Dover
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Checked out Layla's tonight and what a fabulous find. About to be a huge hit, thanks to some seriously professional help, we were fortunate to have an early taste. The food was excellent, the service was great and the four legged company almost got us to consider having a dog in the family again. The chef has some very good creations and all the food is locally sourced, farm to table. The restaurant is BYOB now but a weekend bar will open soon. The entree's were competitively priced but much better in quality - not your local ski food. We are excited to see Layla's make a big splash this season and hope the wait won't be too long once the word gets out.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had an excellent meal here just last week, the menu is well balanced and I found a delectable item for each course. No matter what you order, whether its crab cakes, the NY Strip, or cheescake, the portions are generous and its a good thing because you wont want to stop eating it. Will definitely be back to try more of the menu!

1  Thank thebeesknees36
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Tenish years ago this Inn and Restaurant were a thriving enterprise and since then its been a downward spiral for the place which in recent years lacks but one or two cars in its parking lot.
The other night my wife and I decided to try the place. The once becoming lounge and dining room were shabby and not chic. The table we were seated at, though clean, was a rough and unbecoming surface which some reality show guru shuld have had clad with a table cloth, The drapes appeared home made and about a foot to long. The general appearance was slovenly.

On the bright side, the food was poor to fair. My wife had a roasted tomato soup which arrived as a nice sized portion which proved enjoyable but with a bit to much of a kick for her. My crab cakes wwere two good sized portions, a bit dry, and covered (excessively) with aioli.
The crabcakes came with a small salad which was a nice compliment.

For entres, my wife selected a shrimp and pasta dish which when served looked great. Unfortunately it was ice cold but when it reappeared the problem was rectified any she enjoyed a large portion of pasta and shrimp. I ordered thed Chicken Pot Pie which arrived with a pastry puff which rivaled a Chef's hat. While impressive, it became a source of pastry flying all over the place creating a mess. The pot pie eas stuffed full of chunks of chicken, gobs of fresh veggies but lacked sufficient gravy to satisfy my taste.

Both my wife and I felt that while the owners and staff were trying, the years of a lack of a strong customer base will contribute to an impending demise.

1  Thank chap914

Been to Layla's? Share your experiences!