“My favorite Vermont B&B!”
Review of The Paw House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Rutland
The Paw House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 West Rutland B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“My favorite Vermont B&B!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Paw House Inn is my favorite B&B in Vermont! It is an annual summer vacation trip for me and my dog, and I have brought along different friends and family members. I would recommend this place for anyone traveling with a dog. The staff is warm, friendly and caring. The vibe is relaxed and casual. The rooms are charming with different styles of dog-themed decor. The homemade country breakfasts - served alfresco on the back porch during the warm summer months, so your dog can hang out at your side - are amazing. (The omelet made with maple-syrup infused apples and vermont cheddar is a real treat!) And the Inn's location is perfect for enjoying the many splendors of Vermont - it is close to beautiful scenery, great hiking and swimming, shopping, arts, culture, etc. In the winter months, it is close to ski areas, and you know that the wonderful staff will take care of your dog in the complimentary doggie-daycare while you are away. There is a fenced-in dog playground in the huge backyard, so the dogs have a great place to run and play. I can't think of a better place to travel with your dog. I've stayed at the Paw House 10 times in the last 8 years, and I can't wait to go back for trip #11.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
West Rutland, Vermont
Reviewed 25 July 2014

What a great vacation we had at the PawHouse Inn. Mitch ,our host and owner was so pleasant as were the rest of his staff. The 200 year old house was nicely decorated,and our room was neat and very clean. Our 2 dogs also had a great time running around in the dog play ground. We also had a delicious breakfast each morning prepared by Mitch (what a good chief he is) all fresh and local produce. My husband and I would defiantly recommend this Inn, and would return again and again. Mike ,Donna,Link and Peanut

Branford, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 July 2014

this by far, in all of my travels had to be one of the worse places to stay.. no owners where around!! no water or anything set up like a B & B. my son was signing up for a local college. we ha to sleep in the 3rd floor w a old bathroom that in no way was updated. i slept on a futon that had boulders holding it up.. My two dogs where a title freaked out by this place. We had to leave and I sent a nice note to the owner..HE DID not refund my 3rd night. As they all said the were. I wouldn't stay in this rip off place again if it was free.. Good scamming Honestly God is watching you!! S. Murphy CT

Room Tip: do not go!!!
7 Thank susan m
MJDVermont, Owner at The Paw House Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Our sincere apologies to our highly devoted and skilled twenty-something staff who managed this guest as best as possible and did an excellent job running the inn while we took a few days off.

The inn has no third floor.
Newburyport
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I and our dog had a great time at the Inn. They really gave you your space but it was very cozy place. There is so much to do near bye. We hiked, did some site seeing, and shopping.

They really had a great set up for the dogs to play.

The breakfast was really good and the staff loved to help you plan your day.

Room Tip: "Spot" was the best room - on ground floor with private porch
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We just left the Paw House Inn today after my boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights with our 2 dogs and we intend to go back to the Paw House Inn. Mitch, his son, and the entire staff made this a wonderful stay away from home for the dogs and us. We had room entitled Shakespeare's Retreat; it was spacious, clean,and comfortable. I loved the house itself with all the charming dog motifs; truly, a great place with great people lends itself to a great experience.

Our two dogs are incredibly different and we weren't sure how they would adjust to this new place. However, I think that they rather be at the Paw House Inn in West Rutalnd than back home. From the agility park to their doggy bed in the room to the hiking trails nearby, they had an amazing time and so did we. We were able to spend a few hours shopping in Manchester (1 hr away) and came back to find a sweet note saying that the staff had walked our dogs while we were away. However, the best time was spent at the Inn and in West Rutland. Breakfast at the Inn was simple and delicious and the inn catered to us and the dogs. In Rutland, we were able to go the Pine Hill Trail and we hiked for 2 hours up to the Rocky Pond. With my weak ankles and Piko, an overweight pug, we weren't sure about hiking but we took Mitch's advice and the trail was beautiful.

Thank you Mitch, Ky and staff!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Maine
Reviewed 22 March 2014

we had a spacious room with plenty of room for two large dogs. Play area for the pups in back. Absolutely wonderful omelet test and gradation recommendations for restaurants. we will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
NY
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Great place- totally centered around creating a pleasant experience for both human and canine!

The room: We stayed in The Shakespeare Suite, which was two adjoining rooms and a full bathroom. Plenty of space for us and three dogs. Homemade doggy treats on the pillow. Comfy queen size bed and twin daybed with crisp, bright white linens and soft pillows...no problems sleeping at all. Nice handmade dog bed in room, but our dogs think they are people so they didn't use it ;-) The room was warm despite the cold New England air and there were ample clean towels and toiletries. Charming, eclectic furnishings that are typical of B&Bs- I prefer this to the homogenized chain motel decor. The room was quiet with only occasional noises from other guests....which is pretty remarkable considering the number of dogs staying under one roof! Small TV in room with cable, plenty of dresser space. WiFi service worked fine. My only suggestion would be to put another chair in the room so a couple can sit and chat, have cocktails, etc. But this is very minor, overall, the room was quite comfy.

The Inn and Grounds: Historic building with gorgeous, original wide plank floors. Very clean with no doggy odor or doggy hair. Common areas are good places to meet other dog lovers. Common kitchen with fridge, microwave, dishes, corkscrew, etc. Breakfast was delicious, with local vegetables, omelettes to order, fresh fruit, good coffee. Bring slippers, as shoes come off at the door. Mario's Playhouse is a separate building for the dogs when you can not be with them. It has designated runs for each doggy guest, is clean, heated and has classical music playing. I was concerned this would bring back memories of the shelter for our rescue dogs, but they did just fine. I think they sensed this was a safe, benevolent place. Mitch asks you in the morning what services the dogs need and will walk them, feed them, do whatever they need while you are gone. This was incredible piece of mind for us and we were able to get some good skiing in and stop for dinner afterward without worrying about the dogs. No extra charge for this, which made the inn a bargain with our three young, lively dogs. Check out the art park next to the grounds- very cool!

The area: Great ski slopes, thriving arts scene, incredible restaurants. We'll be back in the warmer months to do some hiking. No shortage of fun things to do!

Service: Everyone was very friendly and it was clear they cared abut your experience. Mitch greeted us and gave us a tour of the place and was there to answer any questions we had throughout our stay. Mitch and and Jen live next door and when not at the inn, are available by phone, although we did not need to call them, everything we needed was already there.

Last, but not least...the dogs: Our dogs loved this place. They met other dogs in the fenced in play park and one of our dogs even brushed up on her agility skills on the equipment. Great place to let them run off leash. Yes, there is snow and ice- it is Vermont after all! One of the reviews mentioned that vaccination records were not required, which puzzled me as we were required to show proof that all core vaccinations were current (distemper, parvo and rabies). You are given the option to sign a waiver for Bordetalla (kennel cough) if you choose not to give this vaccine.That may be where the confusion came in, but it demonstrates that the reviewer did not have a good understanding of vaccines. Bordatella is controversial because it has limited effectiveness, and can cause a lot of vaccine reactions. Our Lily has problems with vaccine reactions and we almost lost her after one particularly horrible reaction, so our vet is very careful and selective about the vaccines she gets. I also have done a lot of research on vaccines in dogs, and appreciated the progressive vaccination policy of the Paw House. Rest assured, your dog's health is not in any danger from their policy.

We have traveled all over the country with our dogs and finding dog- friendly lodging is always a challenge. We were extremely pleased with this experience- wish there were more B&Bs like this!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 12 in Rutland

Been to The Paw House Inn? Share your experiences!