“Perfect Dog Getaway”
Review of The Paw House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Rutland
The Paw House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 West Rutland B&B and Inns
Palm Desert, California
“Perfect Dog Getaway”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We booked at the last minute and the staff was flexible, accommodating and polite. Our host, Mitch met us at the door, welcomed us and gave us great information on local dog-friendlly dining, hiking and biking. The rest of the staff was young, professional and energetic. The house was warm, welcoming, clean and casual. The house specialty breakfasts were fantastic as was the conversation on the porch each morning. There was an agility/play ring to keep our Sheltie busy and he was very comfortable and safe in the play house while we took a day to ourselves. It's nice to know there's still a place to stay where people are friendly & polite. And they're relaxed about having your dog in their home. They weren't hovering over us or keeping an eye on our every move. They checked us in, made sure we were comfortable and understood all of the rules, then left us alone with our dog and other doggy folks like ourselves. We had a great time and would highly recommend it. If you're looking for a sterile environment with paranoid hosts and heightened security, this probably isn't for you... nor is Vermont!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Providenciales
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I didn't think anything of the fact that the owner asked us to call when we were 10 minutes away. We did and it turns out he only comes by to check you in. This didnt seem like a big deal unitl' our dog was being "cared" for in the unlocked play house with no employees at the inn. Our unit had a porch that looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in the time the inn was open and a room that's just seemed neglected. We checked in after 3 for a 1 night stay and were never informed when checkout was.
The next day when we returned from a race we were running, in need of a shower, our stuff had been backed up and removed from the room. A note on the door told us our bags were locked up. We looked around for someone to help us but nobody was around. When we called the owner expressing our concerns he reacted in a way I can only describe as scary. He pulled his car into the parking lot in a crazy manner, jumped out red-faced and screaming. When I reminded him we were guests at his inn he said "excuuuuse me, why don't you go write on trip advisor that's what people like you do". So here I am.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Lauren S
MJDVermont, Owner at The Paw House Inn, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
There is no way we will sit by and allow this review to go unanswered since it is likely you are reading it with thoughts of visiting us.

This review is filled with half truths, omissions and blatant lies which reflect the same over-the-top self-entitled, 'scary,' anger-filled manner in which we have been accused. We fully intend to address some key issues here and within other appropriate means.

As most other reviews indicate we take our privilege to care for all guests' dogs most seriously. We have run our inn for over 13 years. That says something. While over the years some may not like us there is no basis for most complaints written here.

In this case, the evening prior we extended this guest a courtesy of caring for her dog beyond our 11am checkout at no cost. The morning of checkout she was at her race and emailed to inform that the event was delayed. Since hers was the only dog scheduled to be in our care that day I had not staffed dog-services for later afternoon. Upon receiving her email (and at my cost), I asked my staff member to stay late to care for her dog, which she did.

When this guest returned from her race at 2pm (3 hours after checkout) I was cutting the grass next door. Her dog was not 'unsafe.' That is an outright lie with intent to harm our business - as she promised to do during our unfortunate confrontation.

But, as she wrote, the turning point for the matter was that she demanded a shower upon returning to the inn.

What she failed to write however was that I responded to her earlier email that her room would be checked into by another party and I had to move her bags. She was furious that we 'locked up' her bags! She had supposedly not read my response to her email. She wanted a shower! In no uncertain terms she loudly voiced outright disgust. What were we to do? Tell the new guests who paid for the room that they had to evacuate so this woman could take a shower? Leave the bags in the hallway unlocked?

Then incredulously having her dog cared for beyond checkout at no cost after staying the previous night in one of our best rooms, this woman proceeded to reverse the room charges with her bank.

She is now trying to scam us out of having to pay for services rendered.

For so many reasons it is extremely difficult to read and respond to these negative reviews. But it is something that we find increasingly necessary if we are to maintain a business that we love. We are not perfect. We are a small, low-key, family run B&B with a terrific setup, fair and appropriate policies. We strive to create a warm, safe and comfortable environment even when finding ourselves in confrontational situations - which seem to be occurring at an ordinate rate in recent weeks.

Mostly we hope that our response to this review balances our proximate frustration with a high level of professionalism.

Thank you for reading our response.

Mitch Frankenberg
The Paw House Inn
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Paw House Inn is my favorite B&B in Vermont! It is an annual summer vacation trip for me and my dog, and I have brought along different friends and family members. I would recommend this place for anyone traveling with a dog. The staff is warm, friendly and caring. The vibe is relaxed and casual. The rooms are charming with different styles of dog-themed decor. The homemade country breakfasts - served alfresco on the back porch during the warm summer months, so your dog can hang out at your side - are amazing. (The omelet made with maple-syrup infused apples and vermont cheddar is a real treat!) And the Inn's location is perfect for enjoying the many splendors of Vermont - it is close to beautiful scenery, great hiking and swimming, shopping, arts, culture, etc. In the winter months, it is close to ski areas, and you know that the wonderful staff will take care of your dog in the complimentary doggie-daycare while you are away. There is a fenced-in dog playground in the huge backyard, so the dogs have a great place to run and play. I can't think of a better place to travel with your dog. I've stayed at the Paw House 10 times in the last 8 years, and I can't wait to go back for trip #11.

West Rutland, Vermont
Reviewed 25 July 2014

What a great vacation we had at the PawHouse Inn. Mitch ,our host and owner was so pleasant as were the rest of his staff. The 200 year old house was nicely decorated,and our room was neat and very clean. Our 2 dogs also had a great time running around in the dog play ground. We also had a delicious breakfast each morning prepared by Mitch (what a good chief he is) all fresh and local produce. My husband and I would defiantly recommend this Inn, and would return again and again. Mike ,Donna,Link and Peanut

Branford, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 July 2014

this by far, in all of my travels had to be one of the worse places to stay.. no owners where around!! no water or anything set up like a B & B. my son was signing up for a local college. we ha to sleep in the 3rd floor w a old bathroom that in no way was updated. i slept on a futon that had boulders holding it up.. My two dogs where a title freaked out by this place. We had to leave and I sent a nice note to the owner..HE DID not refund my 3rd night. As they all said the were. I wouldn't stay in this rip off place again if it was free.. Good scamming Honestly God is watching you!! S. Murphy CT

Room Tip: do not go!!!
7 Thank susan m
MJDVermont, Owner at The Paw House Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Our sincere apologies to our highly devoted and skilled twenty-something staff who managed this guest as best as possible and did an excellent job running the inn while we took a few days off.

The inn has no third floor.
Newburyport
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I and our dog had a great time at the Inn. They really gave you your space but it was very cozy place. There is so much to do near bye. We hiked, did some site seeing, and shopping.

They really had a great set up for the dogs to play.

The breakfast was really good and the staff loved to help you plan your day.

Room Tip: "Spot" was the best room - on ground floor with private porch
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We just left the Paw House Inn today after my boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights with our 2 dogs and we intend to go back to the Paw House Inn. Mitch, his son, and the entire staff made this a wonderful stay away from home for the dogs and us. We had room entitled Shakespeare's Retreat; it was spacious, clean,and comfortable. I loved the house itself with all the charming dog motifs; truly, a great place with great people lends itself to a great experience.

Our two dogs are incredibly different and we weren't sure how they would adjust to this new place. However, I think that they rather be at the Paw House Inn in West Rutalnd than back home. From the agility park to their doggy bed in the room to the hiking trails nearby, they had an amazing time and so did we. We were able to spend a few hours shopping in Manchester (1 hr away) and came back to find a sweet note saying that the staff had walked our dogs while we were away. However, the best time was spent at the Inn and in West Rutland. Breakfast at the Inn was simple and delicious and the inn catered to us and the dogs. In Rutland, we were able to go the Pine Hill Trail and we hiked for 2 hours up to the Rocky Pond. With my weak ankles and Piko, an overweight pug, we weren't sure about hiking but we took Mitch's advice and the trail was beautiful.

Thank you Mitch, Ky and staff!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 12 in Rutland

Been to The Paw House Inn? Share your experiences!