“Beautiful B&B off the beaten path”
Review of Windham Hill Inn

Windham Hill Inn
Reviewed 5 December 2009

We stayed at the Windham Hill Inn for a long weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The room was simple but very clean. The breakfast was very good and not overwhelming. We enjoyed the amenities like the mulled cider and homemade cookies in the afternoon and the hiking trails on the property. There were really only two minor negatives - the area was very secluded, not too much to do close by and cell service was hit and miss. The most positive aspect was the innkeeper. She was extremely knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 November 2009

I would like to start off by saying "Thank you" to Katjia,Dan,and the rest of the staff at Windham Hill. My best friend of 26 years just got married there this weekend. The Inn went out of their way to acomodate over 50 guests. Both of my children were in the wedding and they were treated so well. The food was out of this world, chef Graham really out did himself. I was really sad to leave the Inn, being there is like being in your world. When my best friend told me she wanted to get married at an inn in Vermont,I couldn't understand why. We are city girls so I just couldn't imagine. Well my husband and I stayed at the inn with her and her new husband 2 months ago,we actually went to have a menu tasting for the wedding. As soon as I got out of the car, I fell in love. Katjia made us feel so at home,but so special at the same time. I can not wait untill we get a chance to return . Thank you again for making Gina and Todd's day so PERFECT!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I must disagree with the visitor who made such disparaging remarks about Katja, the inn keeper. She is warm, friendly, hardworking and helpful. Everything that you would want an inn keeper to be. We have been coming to Windham Hill for fourteen years because of the beautiful setting and lovely rooms. The inn has always been spotlessly clean with gorgeous landscaping. Our only negative comment is that this year the breakfasts seemed skimpy but that certainly would not keep us from coming back again. We especially enjoyed the afternoon tea with hot spiced apple cider and home baked cookies. Dinner is pricey but very good and the dinning room serving staff top notch. This is a very special inn, perfect for a relaxing get-away.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2009

it is my 6th stay at the windham hill inn and each time 2 weeks : so I can tell the changes...
For the the 4 first years it was runned by a fantastic couple but last year without notice they sell it to a company that is making profit just profit - the subcalled kathia is just non professionnal never there anyway knowing nothing about the business -this place is perfect for the typical newyorker bostionan stressed-out people for a nice week-end... so you do not ckeck the mastress as we did : disgusting...; they never change the under sheet so you can check at least 10 beautififul disgusting spot on the pseuso top mastress without cover never washed ... disgusting ..
As we were the only people in the barn this mid-week they just turn off the AC so it was unbreathable

the bathroom :disgusting

In the morning nobody went to clean the bathroom so we can count the spots - just change the toilet paper burk burk

we are veggie non meat eater : the only choice was the 35$ plate at nite ( salmon): for 14 days ....

eating one plate and a glass of the cheapest wine came around 60$ each outragous ...

this inn is owned by a big company want to make money : it is good for young couple for a week-end and that is it ; not a long run - we stayed 2 weeks ; they did even offer a cup of coffey ... the bill was around 6500$ with less than a plate a nite most of the time soup and salad to save money .... a gfass of wine and at the end more than 300 $ each sharing a room outrageous . and the room was very small.. NEVER AGAIN do not go without notice +++ it is no more a nice inn it is part of the big company ... no more chief in the kitchen : the plate are just minut made out of the plastic ... I am french and part of the big market so I know it and I can tell you : just ask to see the chief and you are going to be VERY disappointed !!!!
Be very carefoul .... I will never come back

• Stayed: August 2009
5  Thank lvermeu551
WHIinnkeeper, Innkeeper at Windham Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2009

Management Response:

After reading this guest’s cheerful and positive guestbook entries in both the restaurant and in the logbook of the General Fletcher Room as well as hearing this guest’s positive comments to staff, I was rather shocked to read this posting. For this reason, I felt compelled to respond; something that I have never done previously.
This response is really directed to the loyal Trip Advisor following and not to the author of this post, who warrants no response. The Windham Hill Inn is owned by the same family that has owned it for the past two years, and I have been the Innkeeper the entire time. We have a supremely well qualified Chef in the Kitchen who will only utilize the freshest and highest quality ingredients. Our entire menu is made from scratch, and virtually every plate will feature fresh produce, herbs, and other items from our own extensive and professionally tended gardens. There are multiple vegetarian and fish offerings each night that guests may choose from.
The above posting is grossly inaccurate in virtually every way. I would be pleased to share the communications that this guest provided to the Inn itself for any interested party.
Thank you again to all of our loyal friends on Trip Advisor, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Katja Matthews
Innkeeper

Reviewed 15 September 2009

My wife and I had a wonderful getaway weekend at the Windham Hill Inn. The staff was excellent and very courteous. The room was very clean and well kept.
The dinner we had was also excellent; however, a little pricey. They also have a great wine selection and we were advised on an excellent choice by one of the hosts.
The grounds and gardens are beautiful and well maintained. They have hiking, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing on the property.
The room was somewhat noisy as you could here activity and plumbing of the bathroom of the adjacent bedroom (likely due to the age of the inn – a converted farm house).
This is a great inn with much to offer, although it comes with a big price tag.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2009

The views really are amazing and the inn is situated close to some amazing national parks. Be warned if you go in the summer, the mosquitoes are fierce! Bring gallons of repellent.

We stayed in the main house and it was pretty unremarkable. The room was nice and clean but pretty no frills. I've stayed in nicer rooms and spent less. The room did have a private balcony which was a nice touch but aforementioned mosquitoes made enjoying it difficult. Also, although the room was on the 2nd floor, you could hear every sound in the house so we were woken up early every morning as the staff made breakfast.

We made our reservations months in advance and purchased a dinner in their supposedly critically acclaimed dining room. We were staying mid-week and they were NOT that busy. We told them when we made our reservation that we wanted vegan meals and they said this would be no problem. When we got there, our dinner consisted of grilled vegetables with olive oil and salt and pepper. Not the caliber of meal we had in mind for the money we spent. For breakfast they offered us oatmeal and fruit.

Although the website says they have dial up access for internet, it's basically useless. The modem is a 19k connection. Don't even bother trying. It will take 20 minutes to load one web page.

During our stay in VT we also stayed at Lilac Inn. Their grounds are beautiful, their rooms are spectacular and they made us vegan french toast and vegan pancakes! If you are looking for a romantic stay in VT consider Lilac Inn instead. They are much more capable of accommodating special food requests. They also have high speed wireless internet, cable in every room and are also close to lots of state parks.

We also ate dinner at Inn at Weathersfield. Make this place #1 on your dining to-do list in VT. The chef there is beyond amazing. He cooked for both myself, my husband and our non-vegetarian families, and everyone raved about the food. They also have very romantic outdoor seating with a firepit. I can't stress this enough, have dinner at this place!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mereditherin
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights for our honeymoon, in one of the fancy, third-floor rooms in the "barn." This was the best place I have ever stayed in my life. Grounds were immaculate: gorgeous acres of rolling hills and flower-filled gardens and secluded paths. The room was absolutely spotless, beautiful and luxurious. We had a step-down bathroom with shower & tub and huge windows. We drank wine in front of the fireplace. We sat on the deck and gazed out at the hills (there was a small wall separating us from our neighbors on their deck -- that is my ONLY complaint -- make them private!). We soaked in the tub. We swam in the pool. We played tennis with their rackets. We hiked. We ate in the restaurant. We got in-room massage. They somehow manage to sneak into your room when you're at breakfast and clean it up and leave you goodies on your pillow. There are yummy pastries and cookies put out every afternoon. Staff was wonderful. I will cherish my memories of this place the rest of my life.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Newfane
Deerhill Inn
Deerhill Inn
#1 of 12 in Dover

Been to Windham Hill Inn? Share your experiences!