“Noisy, not clean”

Super 8 White River Junction
Albany, California
“Noisy, not clean”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I needed a room when visiting my daughter in Hanover and Super 8 was all that was available (Homecoming had just happened). Usually my experiences at Super 8 are good. Not so with this location. Room 12 on the ground floor and shares a wall with the hallway with an entrance from the parking lot. Each time the door is opened and closed, the entire bed and room shakes. Like a 4.0 earthquake. And it is loud. Sleep was not easy and I found myself falling out during the day. The assistant manager, very nice woman, wanted to give me a discount which she could not do because the room was prepaid. I asked if I could have a different room (the parking lot is pretty empty as most of the homecoming fans are gone) and she said she would have to check with the manager the next day and that maybe I could. I said if I could not change rooms I would check out altogether. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Re cleanliness, the bathmat in the bathroom has mildew along the edges. When housekeeping came in to clean, they did not wipe the very visible crumbs off of the nightstand and did not make the bed properly. Overall, this location is not clean, worn out and in need of upgrades including soundproofing. Actually, with room 12, an easy improvement on the noise issue would be to place the beds against the opposite wall. Also, the bathtub stopper was broken. No amount of money saved is worth a stay her.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here. If you do do not stay in room 12.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maynard, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We reserved two rooms about 3 months ago. Although there were mixed reviews, we had little choice as the price range was what our party needed and there was limited selection. When we checked in at 6pm, there was a man in front of us also checking in. We overheard him telling the woman at the desk that he reserved a non-smoking room, and his room was smoking, and he would need it changed. She told him there were no rooms available and that if he liked, she could find him some odor spray and he could spray down his room. He declined. Then it was our turn. We reserved one smoking room for our friends, and a non-smoking room for ourselves. The woman handed us two keys to two smoking rooms, and when we told her we had reserved non-smoking, she said there was nothing she could do and offered us the same odor spray as the previous man. We also declined.

To say that the smoking room was the biggest challenge would mean overlooking how absolutely disgusting this entire hotel is. Our sink, for example, had no soap dish, but rather an ashtray next to the sink that I suppose they consider multipurpose. The bathroom had either gold wallpaper, or mold, it was difficult to tell. The overwhelming stench of smoke permeated every surface in the hotel, making it impossible to even use the blankets on the bed as they have clearly absorbed the smoke of hundreds, if not thousands of smokers.

When we checked out, the women behind the front desk asked how our stay was. My husband said, "honestly, it wasn't great. We reserved a non-smoking room months ago, and we got a smoking room and it was gross." The woman at the desk said, "Oh okay, well, we'll email you your receipt." What's the point of asking if you're just going to give a generic response? But I suppose it's the same mentality as their reservation system. What's the point of asking what kind of room we want if you're just going to give us a generic room anyway?

Avoid this hotel, and pay slightly more to stay at one of the numerous hotels in the area.

Room Tip: I think this entire hotel is a smoking hotel and the "non-smoking option" is a ruse. Choos...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Karen C, Manager at Super 8 White River Junction, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
I'm sorry that you were less than comfortable during your recent stay with us. I'm not sure how you made your reservation and why smoking rooms were reserved for you but we are 75% non-smoking (as the Super 8 brand requires us to be). All of our rooms have been recently renovated with new carpets, curtains, bedding, furniture, and more.
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Our room smelled like mold and they tried to cover up with heavy bleach smell. There was a spider web on the floor as big as a sponge and the shower drain was broken and was not clean.The bathroom door was damaged and gap under the door to outside. The room needed a complete remodeling and cleaning. Breakfast was not good. Bugs in the coffee and tables were not clean. Toasters burned everything you put in them. Staff was not friendly. Gave them a good morning and got a grumble back. Staff at desk were eating when we checked in and out. Just don't stay here. Not a good value for the money.

Room Tip: Call ahead to book hotel in the area. There is a Fairfield Inn and Holiday Inn in the area, but the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction
Baymont Inn & Suites West Lebanon

Been to Super 8 White River Junction? Share your experiences!