“Convenient location for a run down hotel & staff that don't care”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Natick, Massachusetts
“Convenient location for a run down hotel & staff that don't care”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

My beau and I stayed at the Comfort Inn in White River Junction on the night of October 30, 2011. It was a last minute decision to turn a day trip planned for the 31st into an overnight. We have visited this area many times in the past and stayed in this hotel several times in the past without complaint. We called to check availability a few hours in advance and were told there would be no problem getting a room there for the night and that our dog would be welcome. When we travel at the last minute and we stay at the comfort inns we don't expect 4 star treatment, but we expect something better then what we got. While checking in (we did not make a reservation) we negotiated a lower room rate. The hotel had a lot of open rooms and we were hopping to save a few dollars. No problem. We were told we would be charged $10 below the AAA rate of $89. Great! We asked for a non-smoking room. No problem. The room we were given did not smell of smoke but there were several cigarette burns in the carpet. The room was not the worst I've stayed in, but everything felt a bit worn out and old. There was only a shower curtain, with no shower liner so after my beau took a shower, the curtain was soaked and gross. It was an indication that they are looking for ways to cut corners. Also, it is a pretty gross if it is not washed in between every guest. The toilet, itself looked like it came out of an elementary school bathroom. I'm 6' tall and when I sat down, it felt like I was sitting on the floor. Never experienced that in other hotels before. The bathroom door was a cheap and the wood was peeling off it on the corners. The pillows on the bed were super thin and flimsy and there weren't enough of them to stack up to feel like even one good pillow. In the middle of the night or super early in the morning there were doors slamming in the hall right next to the room and I could hear people chatting. One of the rooms next to ours was a janitors/cleaning closet. Although I'm not 100% positive, I am fairly certain it was hotel staff making the noise as the guest room on the other side was completely silent all night so I think it was empty.

The worst part of this experience was at the check out. While checking out, the person at the front desk would not honor the negotiated rate that the person on the night before promised. I made the mistake of not closely looking at the slip I signed when I checked in, which listed the AAA rate. Shame on me for that. I could deal with paying the extra $10, but instead of handling it professionally, the guy at the front desk was rude and insisted that the hotel "never negotiates lower rates" and all but called my beau a liar. This could have been handled so much better by the hotel staff. We have stayed here several times and never been thrilled with the place but have been very content with it. We have referred friends and family to stay there. We will not be referring any business to them in the future and we will not be returning.

Room Tip: Read the form you sign at check in carefully to make sure the rate quoted you is the rate they are r...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Davis, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

This motel can be saved, but it will take a complete makeover.
The interior looks and smells worn out. The death-warmed-over fluorescent lighting in the hallways gives the place a creepy look. Anything wooden in the building (including desks and chairs) should be tossed and replaced.
The lighting above the sinks is so dim, you can't see yourself shaving.
If you must stay there, demand a room away from the ice machines and on the front side of the building. There is an industrial/trucking operation on the back side and the windows are not soundproofed.
Some of the staff was helpful, but the rest need to be trained about the meaning of "hospitality" as in "hospitality industry."

Room Tip: Upper floor, front side of building, away from ice machines.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these White River Junction hotels

Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

Room was excellant. Tv's worked great. Great location with the Blue Moon buffet accross the street, and the McDonalds.
My only issue with the
suites are that they need some sort of curtain that you can close off between the two rooms.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank fredvp
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

Overall the hotel was okay. Stayed here for two weeks for work. Other hotels in the area were booked up.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
East Greenwich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

As we walked in the hotel to check in, we were ignored for quite some time, while the front desk girl was typing what seemed to be a novel on the computer while we were just standing there waiting to be acknowledged. I walked around to the side of her desk, to see what she was typing on the computer, and what do you know, I could see from where I was standing that she was on FACEBOOK! I asked her, "are you on facebook while we're standing here waiting to check in?!" She said "yes".
I was so horrified that I wanted to just leave, but there were no other hotels in the area with availability, so we checked in, despite my better judgement.
When we got to our room, the carpet had dirt all over it, and the toilet had been used, and was filthy- really disgusting.
I saw a housekeeper in the hall,which also had a filthy, stained, smelly carpet, and told her how dirty our room was, and she just shrugged me off, and said that she doesn't clean the third floor.
I went down to the front desk to complain, but no one was at the desk, and there was no bell to ring. There was another customer standing there as well, waiting for help, but at 7pm, there was no one in site, and the phone was ringing off the hook too.
This place needs an entirely new staff. We would never stay here agan.
For $200, I expect a lot more for my money.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but here!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Gales Ferry, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Having worked in the hotel industry for almost 10 years I tend to scrutinize a lot! I found this hotel to be wonderful! The staff was excellent and knowledgable. The room was clean.. The only issue (which I forgot to mention at checkout) was that the tv reception was a little off.. A wiggle of the cord seemed to solve that issue. Although we didn't use the pool or fitness room they looked clean and well maintained. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Nachstenliebe
Markham, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

Exterior looks good but interior needs major re Storting especially in the halls. Our first assigned room had many stains in the carpet, the curtains had cigarette burns so we switched rooms. Our next room was better but the a/c barely worked. Not good value.

• Stayed September 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction
White River Inn and Suites
White River Inn and Suites
#5 of 8 in White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White Riv...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
Hotel Coolidge
Hotel Coolidge
#4 of 8 in White River Junction
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Lebanon

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!