“Do not stay here if you are concerned for your safety”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Reviewed 9 February 2009

During our stay here the elevator motor malfunctioned sending smoke throughout the building and setting off the fire alarms, I know not a big deal who hasn't been at a hotel when the fire alarm has gone off. However, our daughter was trapped inside the elevator alone. She had just left her dad and siblings at the pool to come upstairs to the room change her clothes. I was in the room when the fire alarm went off and when I exited the room I met another parent from our group who told me that the housekeeping staff had informed her there was a child stuck in the elevator. We both went to the elevator and could hear a child yelling and I was pretty sure it was my daughter. We ran from the 4th floor until we located her on the 2nd floor. The housekeeping staff was already talking with her and trying to get her to push the door open button as well as trying to pry the door open from the outside. The fire department arrived on the scene and forced everyone to evacuate. I refused to leave my daughter and remained with the fireman until she was rescued from the elevator, almost an hour later. During the time I was waiting outside the elevator my husband was in the lobby with our other children and the fire chief. After the ordeal was over, No One from this hotel apologized or expressed concern for our daughter's well being and not even so much as attempted to find out our names or what room we were in. When I called the general manager about it on Monday, she was less than sympathetic as well and the owner of the property actually had the audacity to blame the fire department.
We stayed at this property with a group of 8 families for a hockey tournament. The majority of our group was in the pool area when the fire alarm activated and they could not get out of the emergency exits as they had snow piled in front of them.
This property is not prepared to handle a crisis and certainly not a fire. The management of this hotel is not customer friendly or compassionate in any way. The have accepted no responsibility for their failures during this disaster. The only good thing I could say is that the housekeeping staff were amazingly concerned and helpful when they first discovered my daughter was trapped in the elevator.

3  Thank vtfamilyof5
Wignh, Owner at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2009

But that's exactly what the writer did. Instead of checking out, the correspondent and the rest of the group returned that afternoon and stayed for the night. Apparently a free room was more important than "safety." It is also apparent that the specific written instruction given to hockey teams not to allow small children to go around the hotel unaccompanied was ignored. Some facts: there was no fire and no smoke "throughout the hotel." The elevator motor failed, disabling the car between floors. Records show that the fire department was on-site for thirty minutes, not an hour. The source of this dispute is the fact that all guests were told by hotel staff to leave the building, per fire regulations, which this group objected to vigorously, particularly once they became aware there was no fire. Plenty of other hotel rooms were available in the area, but they chose to return. "Watch what I do, not what I say."

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn

Reviewed 12 October 2008

I have stayed in the area frequently in the past as my son goes to school in the area, but it was my first and last time at this hotel.
I was a little disappointed that the facility was so worn and dated but this would not be enough for it to merit the time to write this review.
i am doing this entirely as a public service.
My room was at the rear of the hotel which backs up to some industrial use with trucks. Beginning at 5am (on a Saturday) there were announcements over LOUDSPEAKERS directing the trucks. This went on till after dawn.
As I stepped out of my room at 5:30 am so did my immediate neighbor, stating "it's too early for this". Once to the lobby I saw other refugees from the noise reading books in pj's.
When I could find no management, I retreated back to my room and moved all the bedding to the bathroom, shut the door and slept till 8am. The noise had not abated. BTW the bathroom was so small that I could only sleep curled in the fetal position, The good news was that sleeping on the tile floor with all the kind bedding was much more comfortable than the mattress !
There are other places that seem nice in White River Junction- the Comfort Suites, Holiday Inn , Hampton Inn and Super 8.
Try them all first. If they are busy check out a hotel in a nearby town.
Just do not take a chance with this fleebag dump.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank JackieDz
Reviewed 15 September 2008

The front desk clerk at check in was very nice and helpful. She helped us with directions and recommended a fantastic steakhouse down the road. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We also enjoyed the indoor swimming pool. The location of the property was perfect for what we needed. We travel to this area often and we will definately staying again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Warning unsafe,

Traveling with family Aug,2008
Arrived in evening, checked in , employees had undesirable friends on property behind counters, veiwing private credit card info, in lobbys and parking lot, appeared to be gang like, very scary for a family, reported to assistant manager, she did not care and made exuses that employee has benifits of her and friends to use hotel facilities. very scary at night - loud music and teen like gang activity in parking lot. used guest dining room and found employees freinds sitting in the dark, they watched every move we made. Highly uncomfortable- bad management, assistant manager refused to let me speak with main manager, I left message for manager to call me, I havnt heard back.

Stay safe, pick another hotel.

Disapointed

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank justvisiting54929
Reviewed 17 August 2008

The room was ok but for the money we could have done better. The air conditioner was quite noisy and there was a factory or something out our window iin the rear of the building that made quite a bit of noise. The food was ok but I asked the staff for directions and they were not quite sure where Hanover address was and it is right across the river, A food place that was advertised in the hotel information in the room! About average I guess for the room condition etc. Pool water was cold.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2008

My wife was attacked by bedbugs. They put us in what they called a non-smoking room that had cigarette burns in both bed covers. They never returned calls after the incident. Probably the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in. Beware!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank BruceBDB
Reviewed 13 November 2007

This hotel is one of the worst I have ever stayed in. Pricey, dirty, and a very unfriendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StandishFamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction
White River Inn and Suites
White River Inn and Suites
#5 of 8 in White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White Riv...
#4 of 8 in White River Junction
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Lebanon
Hotel Coolidge
Hotel Coolidge
#2 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!