“Old fashioned” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Coolidge
Melrose, Massachusetts
“Old fashioned”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

The place is definitely old fashioned, for better or worse. I really, really liked the unpretentious, old-school decor and set-up overall. There was a real metal key but the door barely locked, hardly an issue in White River Jct though. My sister and I were able to stay in a 2-twin bed room, which was just what we needed and is hard to find. It felt like the 60s in there in a fun way.

But, the bathroom was horrible. Definitely the original fixtures from 1925, with rust-stained porcelin to prove it. Our entire bathtub was tinted orange, as was the "white" shower curtain. Also, you could tell the bathroom floor was not swept. Another issue - we wanted an 11:30 check-out so we could attend 10:30 Mass around the corner, but was told there were too many check-outs that morning so it wouldn't be allowed. You'd think that would mean they could just do our room in a different order and not lose any time, but what do I know. I could tell they weren't even slightly interested in our comfort or convenience.

We did not bother trying the breakfast, we went to the Polka Dot down the street for homemade donuts, but we had heard it was sparse.

I don't want to give a bad review because I love that the place has been kept up as a real old-fashioned hotel, but the cleanliness issues need to be addressed, and I felt like the price was too high for what they are offering.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank icecat77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

My daughter and I stayed here while visiting Dartmouth. I picked it due to great reviews on TripAdvisor and for the fact that it is a historical site and a B&B. First of all, White River Junction is really not a great choice - there is very little there and it is further from Hanover than I somehow thought. The room layout was great - two bedrooms attached by a common bath for the two of us. We really liked that. However, when we got back after dinner and my daughter pulled down the bedspread her blanket was completely covered with hair. We took it off and put a couple of others that were extra on - they were both twin, so really didn't fit the double bed. It was also difficult to feel that they were clean; they were just darker in color and so harder to tell. The shower curtain in the bathroom was dark yellow/sulpher colored for about the bottom foot. The bathroom floor appeared not to have been truly cleaned for a while, etc., etc. In the morning, I told the front desk person about it and her response was that "that is gross". That was it. The breakfast was basically non-existent. There were two bottles of orange juice that were frozen solid and a package of bagels that were in a package but damp, like they had been defrosted in it. Needless to say, we went elsewhere to eat. I didn't even see cups or coffee. I truly don't know how they call it a B&B, as we were at breakfast within the times we had been told. There are so many other places to stay in the area; avoid this one.

4 Thank Jazwald
dcbwrj, General Manager at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
This review has some merit but we did not think it was necessary to reduce us to lowest levels.

The location of White River Junction is in fact only five short miles from the the Dartmouth Campus along with over 500 other hotel rooms because Hanover does not have nearly enough rooms to meet the demands of the College.

The shower curtain problem we struggle with is caused not by a sanitary issue but by insidious iron-manganese in our water supply - we have decided to use a lighter color curtain that will show the staining sooner and we will replace them as a cost of doing business. Similarly the flooring in this room is ready for a redo. Our housekeepers do a super job in making sure we are clean and healthy but older materials do make it difficult to actually look as clean as they should at times.Our Breakfast Cart has plenty of back-up supplies but in busy moments it may be necessary to ask for assistance - this report relates to a full house check out day and back-ups apparently had not been put in place.

The hair problem reported reveals to us that our decision to allow pets even on a case-by-case basis means we will have to treat rooms with pets with more rigor and we will do this. The report helped us realize that more thorough inspection of blankets for example is done without fail.

All in all this review simply means we have to take stock and work harder. Meanwhile we hope people will continue to enjoy the ever expanding number of interesting things to discover in White River Junction.

Travellers are raving about these White River Junction hotels

Northampton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

My room last night reminded me of my grandmother's house when I was a kid. My bed was so comfortable and the linens had that crisp old fashioned feel to them which made sleeping here great. It was so hot out but my a/c was great and the bathroom was really clean.Remember- this is a very old hotel with an interesting history- do not expect this to feel anything like the Marriot or Holiday Inn or any other chain hotel- but this is why I like it.

The only recommendation I have for improving a guests stay here is if you offer breakfast make it bigger and large enough to accommodate the people here. This is the first time breakfast was offered here during one of my stays and it was too small with not enough food for people. I think this is a new thing offered here and tweaking it a bit more will make the breakfasts here really nice. Adding muffins- maybe from that great breakfast place over by Mcdonalds that makes their own bread? That would really be nice here and would support another local business.

I wish I could tell the owners my idea which is to offer coffee , tea, and maybe even lemonade- in the afternoon out in the lobby. I know this is a bit more work for the staff but having this sort of thing emphasizes what is really special about this inn. Putting out chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon would really be fun for the guests and something for kids to look forward to. I have seen this done at some boutique hotels in NYC and liked it a lot
I love the art exhibits they have from local artists in the small gallery in the back. I only suggest they leave the lights on there all day long. This is particularly important because there are so many artists who stay here and this small gesture will show respect to the artist and an appreciation for art here at the inn. I know this may seem like a no brainer but someone kept the lights off in the daytime and the photographs there are really nice and something that enhances the feel of this place! Artsy, charming, fun and friendly.

The Center for Cartoon Studies across the street and around this area really fills the hotel with a lot of nice people who love art. You will like this atmosphere if you come here.

If the staff at the hotel read this - thank you for your superior service. I know I will be back to visit and if my daughter does not come back for another workshop I will probably just come here on my own again. Iove this area and really love this hotel. It is clean, comfortable, with tons of charm!

The staff really do make this hotel one of my top favorites!

Room Tip: I would always pick a normal room over the hostel rooms. I really want air conditioning and a privat...
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Hotel Coolidge is an old hotel and that is a good thing. It is very quaint. Don't expect fancy or lots of amenities but do appreciate being in a good old hotel. The staff is very nice and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The location is great - you can get to Hanover NH or lots of great towns in Vermont very quickly and easily.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bedford Hills, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Coolidge for the second year in a row, and it was great again this year.
The rooms are clean and comfortable. We were especially grateful for the air conditioning during a crazy heat wave and for the mini refrigerator in our room. There were 3 generations of travelers: my husband and me, our daughter, and my mom. We had a suite with 2 rooms joined by a bathroom, and our room had a half bath as well. It was perfect for us! The hallways and common areas are dated, but it is a historic hotel! The hotel is within walking distance of a few great restaurants and within driving distance to many great sights. We will definitely stay here next time we are in the area.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
margate
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I didn't plan to stay here and basically was a walk in. The hotel is old and it shows. However the room was clean and I slept great. The reception was friendly so I can't complain. The amenities are old and the floor slanted but why should I care?

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Queensbury, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

The place is old, but clean.What a unique building ! Walking the halls, you feel the history and feel part of it. We came for a concert at the Tupelo, and whe another comes, I would definitely stay at this charming place. The staff could not have been nicer! Thanks, Drew!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
White River Inn and Suites
White River Inn and Suites
#6 of 8 in White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
#3 of 7 in Lebanon
Six South St Hotel
Six South St Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hanover

Been to Hotel Coolidge? Share your experiences!