“Unique Experience in White River Junction”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Coolidge

Hotel Coolidge
Pepperell, Massachusetts, United States
“Unique Experience in White River Junction”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

An historical hotel and an historical experience -- simple, clean and comfortable accommodations, and a great coffee shop just down the street. The property is eclectic and will bring you back to the days of the traveling salesman. The front rooms are a little noisy with the train and some traffic - but they are fine for a short stay. Watch for limited electric outlets in the bathroom. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Some doubles are actually two rooms with a bathroom in between - a nice way to share a room with a friend you don't sleep with regularly.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the streets if possible
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Merle A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We checked in for one night and e. ed up staying a week. Yes it is old, but in that charming New England way. We had a nice air conditioned room and we met very interesting people at breakfast every morning.
We even met the owner one morning. No it is not a modern cookie cutter motel but we will stay nowhere else from now on.

• Stayed September 2013
Denver, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I was so disappointed by my experience at this historic hotel. I have a great deal of patience for quirky, old, eclectic, etc, but very little for preventable reservation mistakes. I had reserved a room online so that I could quickly save a spot for a last minute booking. I immediately followed up with a phone call to AVOID any problems with my group of four. I wanted to be sure that the room I had reserved could accommodate four adults (4 beds) and was assured that would not be a problem. You can imagine my dismay when I arrived and was told that my room had been switched. A manager had decided that my original booking reservation(for 1) did not need a room for 4, so my original room was given to a family. That meant that me and my three travel companions had to squeeze into a suite that had 1 double bed and a twin. The hotel's solution was to provide a cot that took up 99% of the available floor space, was not made, and was extremely uncomfortable. I did not receive a very apologetic response for their error but was told that "the reservation was only for one, so...." --- this is exactly why I called to SPEAK to someone! I wanted so much to avoid the hassles that could come from traveling with a group of 4 adults, and yet, that is exactly what we experienced. It was not a comfortable stay, and I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to double check your reservation confirmation for number of guests, since they seem to give...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these White River Junction hotels

Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Only stayed one night, but were impressed by this old lady. Good location in town with pub next door. Rooms were very nice and the public areas full of interesting artefacts. Staff very pleasant and helpful. only one negative - it is VERY close to the station and at 5.30 in the morning, it felt as if the train was coming straight through the window! Also, breakfast a little spartan.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

When we pulled off of the highway all of the usual chains were full. One of them recommended Hotel Coolidge. It was delightful. Yes, old fashioned, but in a good way. It has a large lobby and large rooms, two bedrooms with a shared bathroom all for a very reasonable price. The two bedrooms do not share the bathroom with a 'stranger' and in this case my husband and I enjoyed each having a room. Lovely older hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

The hotel staff were helpful and fun to talk to. We got an economy room, which served our needs perfectly. It had a very small TV, A.C., bathtub/shower (not much pressure) and was conveniently located to the Amtrak station (the reason we chose it). The best part about Hotel Coolidge is the historic atmosphere, we actually spent some time looking at their displays and sitting in the lounge with books. White River Junction is quaint, we went to two salvage warehouses, two restaurants and a clothing store.

Room Tip: The 'economy room' was cheap, $89 I think, plus tax. It was slightly larger than the bed, b...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Melrose, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

The place is definitely old fashioned, for better or worse. I really, really liked the unpretentious, old-school decor and set-up overall. There was a real metal key but the door barely locked, hardly an issue in White River Jct though. My sister and I were able to stay in a 2-twin bed room, which was just what we needed and is hard to find. It felt like the 60s in there in a fun way.

But, the bathroom was horrible. Definitely the original fixtures from 1925, with rust-stained porcelin to prove it. Our entire bathtub was tinted orange, as was the "white" shower curtain. Also, you could tell the bathroom floor was not swept. Another issue - we wanted an 11:30 check-out so we could attend 10:30 Mass around the corner, but was told there were too many check-outs that morning so it wouldn't be allowed. You'd think that would mean they could just do our room in a different order and not lose any time, but what do I know. I could tell they weren't even slightly interested in our comfort or convenience.

We did not bother trying the breakfast, we went to the Polka Dot down the street for homemade donuts, but we had heard it was sparse.

I don't want to give a bad review because I love that the place has been kept up as a real old-fashioned hotel, but the cleanliness issues need to be addressed, and I felt like the price was too high for what they are offering.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank icecat77
Also consider these accommodations in or near White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Lebanon
Fairfield Inn & Suites White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White Riv...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Hotel Coolidge? Share your experiences!