“A touch of the Overlook Hotel”
Review of Hotel Coolidge

Hotel Coolidge
colorado springs
“A touch of the Overlook Hotel”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We arrived on a cold, drizzly Afternoon, Oct. 6th. The large fireplace in the lobby looked inviting but ( like the hotel's heating system) was never used. Over 7 nights (we extended our Road Scholar visit by 2 nights) we stayed in two rooms, neither of which had been painted since the Eisenhower era. Dangerous and overloaded wiring had left burn marks on the outlets and none of the shower/bath faucets functioned correctly. In place of central heat we had small oil radiator heaters. The floors were so unlevel that I many participants had to jam objects into the dressers to keep the drawers from sliding open. The food provided to participants was bland, unimagainative and doled out by the "innkeeper" like his hidden riches. The elevator was 150 steps away and the laundry area would have worked for a "SAW" setting. The so-called "innkeeper" (Dave Briggs) was frugal to a fault. I'm amazed that Road Scholar and the VT Fire Marshall have given this relic a pass. BTW we were chaged 25c a piece for 4 pieces of printer paper to print our boarding passes. Nice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank skysoxwiz
dcbwrj, Owner at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
This review confused me. The guest extended their stay when they could have departed early if things were so bad. In fact we accommodated them by finding rooms in our long term stay (rental section) so that they could stay and also avoid high season prices. Then they criticized space that was not in the hotel section and also posted a photo that was in our hostel - budget section suggesting it was representative of the hotel. Moreover the comments about the meals program they joined were unfair. It has been our style to serve people personally in order to relate to them and then encourage them to come back on their own for seconds. This has been standard for us for over 20 years with a successful program which has many repeat customers. The central heat was simply not necessary - we received no other complaints - the weather was temperate and we explained on the first night we were in the interim season when the electric heat can be controlled better from within the rooms. Finally our facility is carefully scrutinized by licensing authorities on a routine basis. I must have done something very wrong to get this kind of response because I was on duty for all three meals and three programs for five straight days and otherwise completely available to deal with discomforts but never heard a word.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Keyser, West Virginia
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights and loved every minute of our visit. We came in on the Amtrak train and we literally just walked across the tracks our hotel room. staff was incredibly friendly and the hotel had the old air historical charms that you expect in that area. We will be coming back next year for the fall foliage and staying in the same hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Pepperell, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2013

An historical hotel and an historical experience -- simple, clean and comfortable accommodations, and a great coffee shop just down the street. The property is eclectic and will bring you back to the days of the traveling salesman. The front rooms are a little noisy with the train and some traffic - but they are fine for a short stay. Watch for limited electric outlets in the bathroom. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Some doubles are actually two rooms with a bathroom in between - a nice way to share a room with a friend you don't sleep with regularly.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the streets if possible
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Merle A
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We checked in for one night and e. ed up staying a week. Yes it is old, but in that charming New England way. We had a nice air conditioned room and we met very interesting people at breakfast every morning.
We even met the owner one morning. No it is not a modern cookie cutter motel but we will stay nowhere else from now on.

• Stayed September 2013
Denver, CO
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I was so disappointed by my experience at this historic hotel. I have a great deal of patience for quirky, old, eclectic, etc, but very little for preventable reservation mistakes. I had reserved a room online so that I could quickly save a spot for a last minute booking. I immediately followed up with a phone call to AVOID any problems with my group of four. I wanted to be sure that the room I had reserved could accommodate four adults (4 beds) and was assured that would not be a problem. You can imagine my dismay when I arrived and was told that my room had been switched. A manager had decided that my original booking reservation(for 1) did not need a room for 4, so my original room was given to a family. That meant that me and my three travel companions had to squeeze into a suite that had 1 double bed and a twin. The hotel's solution was to provide a cot that took up 99% of the available floor space, was not made, and was extremely uncomfortable. I did not receive a very apologetic response for their error but was told that "the reservation was only for one, so...." --- this is exactly why I called to SPEAK to someone! I wanted so much to avoid the hassles that could come from traveling with a group of 4 adults, and yet, that is exactly what we experienced. It was not a comfortable stay, and I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to double check your reservation confirmation for number of guests, since they seem to give...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these White River Junction hotels

Wales
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Only stayed one night, but were impressed by this old lady. Good location in town with pub next door. Rooms were very nice and the public areas full of interesting artefacts. Staff very pleasant and helpful. only one negative - it is VERY close to the station and at 5.30 in the morning, it felt as if the train was coming straight through the window! Also, breakfast a little spartan.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2013

When we pulled off of the highway all of the usual chains were full. One of them recommended Hotel Coolidge. It was delightful. Yes, old fashioned, but in a good way. It has a large lobby and large rooms, two bedrooms with a shared bathroom all for a very reasonable price. The two bedrooms do not share the bathroom with a 'stranger' and in this case my husband and I enjoyed each having a room. Lovely older hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#6 of 8 in White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White Riv...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Hotel Coolidge? Share your experiences!