“Remarkable hidden gem”
Review of Elixir Restaurant

Elixir Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Elixir Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$13 - US$22
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Contemporary American Cuisine
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We would never have ventured into this restaurant without Trip Advisor and are so grateful that we did. It's hidden away next to a BBQ joint and lumberyard and train tracks in historic White River Junction. Once inside, we encountered a small but elegant menu, intriguing specials, and exceptional service. Everything was delicious -- a blue cheese mousse and Parmesan pecan crisp appetizer adorned with a balsamic and apricot reduction; chanterelle and asparagus risotto; crunchy peanut chicken; and a dark chocolate cake with raspberry coulis and lemon sour cream. Well-priced wines by the glass and local beers on draft enhanced the pleasure. Highly recommend!

1  Thank OpinionatedFoodie

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We made a reservation on Open Table for Saturday evening, 6:15, July 5, and the reservation was confirmed. Drove 1 1/2 hours to get there, and there are signs pasted on the window, "Closed For Vacation until July 8. Is this a professional operation? We then drove to Hanover NH and had dinner at Pines, at the Hanover Inn. It was terrific. Glad Elixir was closed.

1  Thank Theodore727
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My train was late into White River Junction. I dropped my bags at the Hotel Coolidge, weary and famished. The front desk staff suggested two choices, and I am sure the Elixir was the better one. The restaurant is located in the former Central Vermont RR freight house, so the brick walls and tall windows give it plenty of atmosphere. I was cheerfully seated by the hostess, and the waiter was attentive throughout the night. I started with a locally brewed IPA and munched on slices of a baguette with the restaurant's signature olive oil/bourbon dipping sauce. There were two menus - the standard and the daily specials. I chose the pork tenderloin with spicy quinoa, and it was scrumptious. After a long day, the Elixir is the perfect ending.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Having to spend a night in White River Junction, VT while traveling, my friend and I were originally planning on having dinner in Hanover, NH just up the road. After a conversation in a local shop where the owner suggested this as an option- we thought why not give it a try. It was awesome! Much better ambiance then dealing with tourists in Hanover. Interesting location in an old freight house but tastefully decorated with a very cool bar. Would have been just as happy to have sat at the bar. Staff was friendly, attentive and dining was nicely paced. Restaurant noise was comfortable even with a full house.. Menu is not expansive but they do have daily specials and what they do have they do well. We started with the Baked Figs...warm figs, bacon, blue cheese with toast. I'd go back there just for that! I had the Crunchy Peanut Chicken and my friend had the Nori Rolls. We both cleaned our plates. Pleased with the wine list and creative cocktails too.

1  Thank 31lizo
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Visited Elixir last year after reading some of their reviews. I work in the area on occasion and have tried many of the area restaurants. Now I only go to Elixir. It's that good. We always get the truffle fries they truly are addictive. Stepped out of the box and got the cauliflower soup and it was unbelievably good. We have had many outstanding meals there, the scallops are great, the petite cocoa dusted filet mignons delicious, the shrimp risotto cakes, the salmon, it's all really good. Recently I had a short rib special with polenta and braised red cabbage and it was so delicious we went back the next night with hopes it would still be on the menu. A memorable dish. The wine list is good as well and the bar always seems to be hopping. We usually make reservations because the place is busy even on a Tuesday or Wednesday.
Can't wait 'til we return...

1  Thank t-bredfan