“Nice property, a little worn, but overall pretty nice”

Sonesta ES Suites Burlington
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Williston
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I found this hotel to be just fine. The hotel is a little worn, the staff is nice and the location is good for my business that I have in the area. The breakfast in the morning isn't the best in town, but it is free. The eggs are probably powdered and the fruit is served in a very heavy syrup.

The hotel does have a nice work out room and nice pool/spa. Overall not a bad place to stay. The staff is mostly nice, there are a few that are a little grouchy, but again, overall pretty nice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
James F, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel! I will talk to our breakfast staff about the items that you mentioned. Thanks for staying with us and we hope you continue to stay here whenever you are in the area for business!

There are newer reviews for Sonesta ES Suites Burlington

Reviewed 7 August 2014

In some areas the hotel shows it's age, but it's maintained well and everything works. The room I had was 2 story, and huge. The internet worked fine in all areas. A very good breakfast, and helpful friendly staff. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
James F, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel! It sounds like you were in our Penthouse Suite by your description. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, staff, and internet. If you are in the area again we hope to see you here at the Residence Inn! Happy Travels!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our friends and family love coming to the Residence Inn Williston when we have to travel to the Burlington area. It is a great alternative to staying right in Burlington and could not have asked for a better location. It is right off the interstate which is extremely convenient and there are also plenty of restaurants and shops nearby if we do not feel like venturing into Burlington with the traffic and tough parking. The front desk staff was very welcoming when we arrived to check in and any time we called for assistance from the room they were always helpful. The housekeeping staff as well as the cooks for social hour were very accommodating when we asked for anything and helped us in a timely and friendly fashion. Our room was quite spacious and I love the outdoor access because it felt very private and we didn't have to walk through the lobby each time to get to our room, we could just park right in front of our room and go right inside. We will stay here again!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property! It's great to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and staff. I will pass along your great comments to all of the departments you mentioned. Thanks again and we hope to see you here in the future!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

when checking in at 10:30 pm we were told we had a room upgrade. When we arrived at the room it had a musty odor about it. Taking our shoes off we discovered the carpet was damp as if it had been just cleaned. I figured out why we were upgraded on a booked hotel, the person who was orginally was supposed to stay there probably was not going to put up with that odor! Upon arriving home we discovered we had left something of importance in the room and immediately called the hotel. The male who answered the phone was of little use as far as protocol and felt that by placing us on hold for over a half hour would be acceptable! When checking in and out the same women was at the front desk and was very courteous and was Carol from housekeeping who got our personal items back to us. I feel the person who was on the evening of Sunday the 27th of July should be properly trained to answer questions about procedure and protocol, and housekeeping should not deep clean carpets if they can't dry them throughly before someone checks in. The musty smell made caused us to have nausea and we spent as little time in the room as possible.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
James F, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I have followed up with the appropriate staff in regards to your comments. It's great to hear that you found some of our staff helpful. Thank you again and we hope to see you here in the future during your travels.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

we were going to Vermont for a graduation so my brother-in-law booked five rooms. We checked in late on Friday night around 11:30 to be greeted by a less than pleasant receptionist who started off with "I haven't worked in a few weeks so I can't log into computer I have to call someone." Maybe she should have logged in when she came on duty. She then found our reservation and told us it was a studio which was a problem for us seeing as we have three children. I asked if she had something bigger and she said "yes, we have bigger rooms but nothing right now and this is what was booked for you." So we checked into our studio on the far side of the building near a busy street. The room was small with a double bed and pull out sofa, kitchen and bathroom, outdated kitchen but the room was pleasant and clean although too small for my family. Next morning we went down to breakfast to be greeted by this rather large woman in charge of the buffet who had a very dirty overall on. Someone asked about coffee only to be told in a rather brash voice "coffee is brewing, coffee has to brew." I was about to check out of this hotel due to the unpleasantness of the staff and bad attitude when I decided to at least give reception another try and this time I was greeted by a very pleasant young lady who indeed checked and found us a bigger room which was ready immediately for us which meant that it was obviously ready the night before because it is only 9:00 a.m.. This was called a penthouse with a loft, very large king bed with bathroom on ground floor with kitchen and living room. Double bed with bathroom in loft. Again kitchen was outdated but everything was clean and loved the size of the place. We didn't use pool but looked okay and they had a fire pit outside. From the outside this place does not look great but inside the rooms are decent and they do give a very good government rate. if you are expecting Marriot standard professional staff, you will be disappointed. If you want a clean decent room close to Burlington and visiting colleges or whatnot, you will be happy with the price and size of the room that is if you opt for the penthouse. The Wifi is only good for three devices, this is absolutely insane. It's about 40 minutes from Stowe, close to Ben and Jerry's factory. We hiked the pinnacle peak which was really fantastic. Good location, staff needs training.

Room Tip: Choose a penthouse they have a loft and are close to the main lobby and pool area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for posting a review. I have followed up with our staff about the areas you discussed. We always appreciate feedback from our guests and I want to thank you for that. If you are in the area again, we hope to see you here at the Residence Inn!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I almost feel guilty writing such an awful review simply because the staff here are lovely - accommodating, pleasant, friendly. Unfortunately it's almost unfair on the staff that they work in such an awful dump because they deserve better.

This Residence Inn is just off the main highway but surrounded by trees, so not noisy. It is built (my best guess is it dates from the early 1980s) like an older condo apartment complex you might be more likely to see in Florida. Lots of internal walkways. The construction is wood and it is absolutely not maintained. Rotting wood staircases, rotting balconies, rotting doors, rotting window frames..you get the idea. Each 'unit' has to be accessed from a front door which opens to the elements so it feels very damp. Here in New England, if properties are built from wood - that wood must be treated yearly or at least kept up with paint and a regular maintenance schedule and this place is not. Hence the penthouse suite we were in smelled of damp (and dust).

We had a 2-bedroom suite where one of the bedrooms is in an open loft. We don't mind that, but the interiors of the units have been neglected just like the exterior. Appliances from the dark ages, dark wood veneer furniture that is long past its best, very few utensils for those staying a while and the appliances were dirty. There's no way I'd put anything in the fridge or oven in our suite. Drapery was tired, walls painted dark green (!!), very low ceilings. I put my hand up to dry my hair after a shower and touched what I didn't realize was a heat light, which was not fun.

We were a party of 2 adults and 4 children. I took the children to the pool and that was another problem. We've been in many pools from the good to the very bad, but none as dirty as this. The tiling at the sides of the pool I just thought were a sort of blue/black color, till I caught my fingers on the tile...and my fingernail beds came out black...it was mold. We could not see to the bottom of the pool. Now that's normally a lack of chlorine or filter issue but in this case the chlorine levels were extremely high so I can only assume it was from a lack of maintenance and cleaning.

Going into the pool area we discovered a party of 5 guys who were thoroughly enjoying themselves with plenty of booze drunk and they had taken over the pool. They were nice enough to give us some space initially but after a while would take turns diving off the hot tub wall into the pool to try and land on a kick board. It wasn't a big deal but the children are a heck of a lot smaller than those guys were. Another issue was that they were using large glasses to hold their beer in and a couple of the men were quite honestly 'rolling' drunk so the glasses were wobbling an awful lot which would have been horrendous had they broken and fallen in the pool. I'm definitely not straight laced but I felt we were almost intruding on the first day of a stag party where the party was getting started! It wasn't an overt bad behavior, but not appropriate for an hotel pool like this.

I didn't sit on the couch or at the dinner table in the suite as they were not clean enough.

From what I can tell, overall, is that this may have been an up-to-date complex decades' ago, but it has now gone past any useful purpose whatsoever. If Marriott does not raze this place to the ground and completely rebuild new, there is no point in Marriott keeping it within the chain as it is an embarrassment to the name. The only other purpose I could see for these buildings would be student accommodation or low-cost employee housing.

There is a new Courtyard by Marriott next door which I would suggest you go to.

Anyone with mobility problems would find it a disaster to navigate the uneven walkways, steps, paths and even first floor accommodation. Many 'units' are a far walk from the main reception/breakfast area and there is little parking at this front area also.

Whilst I could recommend the staff, I just can't recommend the hotel for anyone. Residence Inns are (in my opinion) the worst of the Marriott chain hotels, but this one is really lousy.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mdbd1

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value all feedback and I will be following up with the appropriate departments to ensure our guests have a more favorable experience at our property. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff and I will pass that along to them.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

if you find this helpful, please click the helpful link below.

Williston is about 2 exits south of downtown Burlington so it is a 10 minute drive. This hotel should be considered a motel and surprising for Marriott standards. The place is SO dated. The extended stay features are fine, but the room felt like a cottage. The wood on the stairs is rotting, the paint is fading, the couch in my room was stained (gross), the a/c was loud, the shower was old. Pretty much the whole experience including the cumbersome process of hiking up and down stairs to find my room was unpleasant.

The breakfast was good and the staff was very attentive so kudos for that.

I would not stay here for more than $90 a night, it is simply not worth it.

There is nothing close by for food or to drink. FYI.

Room Tip: One closest to the front desk is best.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank snmurphy07
James F, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I have followed up with our team about the different aspects of our hotel that you commented on. We appreciate all feedback, which only helps us to better serve our customers. Happy Travels!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Williston
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Courtyard Burlington Williston
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burli...
#4 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Burlington? Share your experiences!