“Nice and Clean rooms but amenities not functional during our stay”

Courtyard Burlington Williston
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Williston
Montreal, Canada
“Nice and Clean rooms but amenities not functional during our stay”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

First of all, let me start by explaining why we chose this particular property. My partner and I were taking a short trip down to Burlington for the long weekend in order to relax (as one of us had just finished university) and do some shopping. We did an extensive research on Expedia in order to find a property that would suit our needs. We wanted to book a nice and modern hotel with an indoor pool & jacuzzi/hot-tub. Only 3 properties in the area offered that: The Holiday Inn Express on Shelburne road, The DoubleTree by Hilton and the Courtyard by Marriott. We eliminated the Holiday Inn Express as we were looking for something a little more upscale. This left us between the DoubleTree and the Courtyard. Both were more or less the same price. We chose the Courtyard as we usually do not stay in Marriott properties, but had decided to give them a chance.

The check-in was smooth, we were assigned to a king room. Although the hotel did show some age in some areas (the elevator, patio door, room doors, etc...), the overall property and rooms look clean and modern. Our complaints pertain more to the facilities, or lack thereof, offered at the Courtyard. On the first night, we went down to the main floor to go to the pool and relax a little bit. What we found was a day care that was out of control. Kids all over the place screaming to the top of their lungs, splashing water all over the place. The hot tub was not functional.

On the second evening, we return to the main floor to access the pool/spa. This time, the place was empty but the entire heating pump and jets to the facilities were down. I tried to call the front desk using the phone in the pool area, but it didn't even worked. I then tried to find a towel to wrap around myself in order to present myself at the front desk, but there were none. So I walked to the front desk in my bathing suit, dripping on the floor, and spoke to the clerk who didn't seem to care at all that the hot tub was not working. I explained to him that we had chosen this property for the hot tub and the indoor pool, and that we paid much more than what other establishments were charging for the weekend. He replied that I only overpaid because I booked through Expedia; next time I should book directly with them. He stated that the room I paid 130,00$ a night on Expedia was being sold for 79.00 at the front desk. Concerning the hot tub, he stated that it'll be fixed in the next couple of days (when I'll be gone). I informed him that I was dissatisfied with my stay and that I wanted to speak to the manager. We both didn't feel like we had gotten our money's worth. He handed me over a business card of a Mrs. Howrigan. I went up to my room and wrote a long email to this supposed manager about our experience. It's been three weeks now, and she has never replied.

I believe that the front desk clerk could have at least offered us some form of compensation for our inconvenience. A complimentary breakfast at the very least. Instead, he made me feel stupid for overpaying through Expedia. Furthermore, I believe that the Mrs. Howrigan could at least have followed up on my complaint. Before posting a negative review on TripAdvisor, I always, always contact the management of the establishment to give them an opportunity to redeem themselves. Unfortunately, this has not been the case with the Courtyard by Marriott in Williston.

Additionally, take note that I have read a few negative reviews on this property and the manager has replied publicly to them on this site. Yet, she has disregarded my e-mail. Therefore, if this manager does post a reply to this review, it's probably only because it has been posted to the public.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chinotto_21
Courtyard-Marri... W, General Manager at Courtyard Burlington Williston, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for the review you have posted. I am the General Manager and regret to say I agree it is not acceptable to not reply to emails from guests! A top focus here at the property is in fact guest service. I appreciate your feedback and would like to reach out to discuss this personally with you. I also do not have an email from you and feel terrible you have not had a reply to your concerns. We did have a pump issue with our hot tub about 3 weeks ago and it was closed for two days, apparently when you were here. I would love to communicate and invite you back to the hotel. I also will speak to the staff to educate them on the variety of ways our guests book their rooms. A guest is a guest, and that route you use to book is of no matter. I hope we can touch base soon. Is there a way we can connect o I can follow up? ~Sarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
NH
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This hotel is located really close to 89 and plenty of shopping and restaurants. It is a small hotel and the staff was very friendly. The room and hotel was very clean. We stayed one night and it was a comfortable stay. We booked an executive queen room and it was fine but it was small. I would however stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for letting us know about your stay! We strive to maintain friendly guest service and to go above and beyond for our guests. I hope you will select our hotel if you are in the area again. Perhaps if you are coming with your children the next time we can arrange for a larger room. Some of our first floor rooms are a bit more spacious. If you connect with me ahead, I will do the best I can to block you in a room to suit your needs! ~Sarah
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful stay in a one bedroom executive suite at this property this past Easter.

The location of the property is conveniently located just off the highway and a 35 - 45 minute drive to Stowe and Waterbury and a short drive back the other way into Burlington and shopping. Restaurants are located within a short drive but a car is definitely needed

The executive suite was new, modern and in excellent condition, and as an additional and pleasant surprise the suite came complete with a cooktop, full fridge, dishwasher and a small supply of dishware and utensils which we made good use of.

The suite is not a true one bedroom in that the bedroom does not have its own door but uses the same door that separates the sink area, washroom and king bed room from the main area. The king room was spacious and had its own TV and suited our needs perfectly, allowing our teen daughter to sleep on the pull out couch in the main area. The balcony and suite backed on to the highway, however noise was not an issue for us.

We enjoyed the indoor hot tub and pool but did not visit the fitness center or use the onsite restaurant as the menu was somewhat basic and limited. However the lobby and additional seating lounge off the bar area was a nice quiet place to sit and read and a place to just get out of the room.

From our check in to housekeeping, staffs were pleasant, helpful and attentive at all times and we thoroughly enjoyed our short but enjoyable stay at this property.

We would return and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank andy.karla
I am so thrilled to see you had a great stay at our hotel. With all the improvements and renovations we have done in the past year we can offer a well appointed room and fabulous amenities to our guests. If you are not a Marriott Rewards member yet we can also assist you in signing you up for that benefit program so you can take advantage of the loyalty awards. Please connect with us for your next trip to Burlington. We look forward to welcoming you back! ~Sarah
Ann Arbor
Reviewed 17 March 2014

After avoiding all Marriott properties for a long time, we stayed at this wonderful facility in Vermont. The comfortable bed and wonderful staff were welcome after a 12 hour drive from Michigan. The Starbucks in the lobby had great food. They could use more Caramel in their Machiatto but the friendliness of the staff more than made up for it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Courtyard-Marri... W, General Manager at Courtyard Burlington Williston, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
I am happy to hear you were able to relax and sleep well away from home. That is always a huge factor in a hotel stay! We recently did a renovation and receive many positive comments in regard to our bedding. We do follow the recipes for the Starbucks beverages; as always we are happy to accommodate special requests. You may always ask for an extra shot of the caramel. If you are here in the area again I look forward to you choosing our hotel. Thank you for the positive review! ~Sarah
Vermont
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We arrived here in a blizzard, and after checking in to our really cozy room, we made use of the swimming pool and the wonderful hot tub. The whole place was spotless, there is obviously great pride taken in the maintenance and cleanliness of the pool/hot tub area. The staff were extremely helpful and kind. The room was well designed, with the sink/mirror area next to the bathroom, so you could use it for drying hair, putting on make-up, etc. while the bathroom was occupied. The beds were very comfortable and it was quiet. There are a lot of good eating places in Williston, so the food here is basic but good. We had their pizza for dinner, and their very adequate breakfast buffet next morning. After the hospital ordeal, it was a really healing place to be.

Room Tip: Probably, like all hotels, the rooms furthest from the corridor entrances are best. Ours was about h...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Grandmasfootsteps
Sarah177Hurr, General Manager at Courtyard Burlington Williston, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
I am so glad that you enjoyed our hotel and the staff. We strive to take care of each and every one of our guests! We all hope that you will choose this Courtyard Marriott if you need a hotel the next time! ~Sarah H.
Bristol
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Convenient to State offices on Hurricane Lane, walking distance (weather dependent).
Comfortable rooms, nice beds. Paul Mitchell bath products.
Surprised how much noise there was from the interstate, the only drawback.
Green Mountain k-cups in the room, but only powdered milk. Would have been nice to have other creamer options.
Comfortable night, would recommend.

Room Tip: Suggest a room not on the interstate side of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
I am glad that you enjoyed the Green Mountain coffee in the guest rooms. I do have half & half creamers available upon request. I am so sorry you were not aware of this - we could have brought them to your guest room for you! Please do feel free to ask for that feature, we would be happy to accomodate! I fear if I stocked them in the rooms, the dairy product may expire, the reason behind the powder. I hope this helps and look forward to seeing you again! ~Sarah H
Fitchburg, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Nice size room for parents and 2 teens. Clean room was perfect for our overnight stay while we visited colleges in Burlington area. 2 Marriott hotels side by side. I have stayed at both. This one is newer of the two. Do not think you could go wrong with either place.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Kevin C
The rooms accommodate families very well, and I am glad that you had plenty of room. Shall your child choose college in Vermont we look forward to seeing you again! ~Sarah H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williston
Fairfield Inn Burlington Williston
Sonesta ES Suites Burlington
TownePlace Suites Burlington Williston
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlin...
#1 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Courtyard Burlington Williston? Share your experiences!