“Highly Recommend”

Old Red Mill
Old Red Mill
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Recently on a motorcycle trip with some friends we happened into the town of Wilmington, VT. In my opinion, as a state, Vermont never disappoints...even in the rain! Wilmington is no exception and neither is the Old Red Mill Inn.

We weren't sure we were done riding for the day or if staying here was the plan, but I assure you we were immediately sold by the friendly staff who couldn't have been more helpful or kind. It didn't take us long to order some food...and then order a room! Five of us took up three rooms all on the river side--all of us were happy with the accommodations.

Bottom line--the town is beautiful, the people are very kind and very friendly, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and the food is delicious. As a note--the staff and other patrons aren't against a little dancing if the Bee Gees just happen to be playing!

We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with a room on the river!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kbert91

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stayed here one night after skiing at Mount Snow. The place has a lot of charm, don't expect a luxurious stay, just a nice cozy inn and you will be perfectly satisfied. The rooms are small but very clean and walls are thin but no one was extremely loud that it was a problem. Staff was all very friendly. Rooms have toiletries provided and continental bfast is served in the AM.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CTguru
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I called to make a "last minute" reservation for a stay of three nights to enjoy recent, late winter snow and ski nearby Mount Snow.
I had a feeling I made a good choice when the man who answered the phone told me he was in the kitchen but he would, "wash his hands, take off his apron and call me back in 5 minutes". In my mind I pictured a quaint, relaxing Vermont Inn and that is exactly what we found waiting for us at the Old Red Mill Inn in Wilmington, Vermont.
When making our reservation on Wednesday, just 2 days in advance, we opted for a $98.00/night room in which a cot would be placed to accommodate my 8 year old "Godson".
Upon check in, we were pleasantly surprised to have been given the much larger "family room". It was a large, corner room with three large windows that allow both a view of the Deerfield River (which runs along the back of the inn) and a large amount of daylight to enter the room. The room contained a very comfortable, queen size bed, two twin beds, a chair with ottoman and ample drawer and closet space The room and its bathroom were very clean. The bathroom appeared to have newer fixtures and the shower looked freshly tiled, provided more than enough hot water and offered great water pressure.
The inn's "special" was a great bargain as well, with no charge for our third night stay on Sunday. Weekend mornings include a nicely arranged continental breakfast: cereals, bagels, English muffins, yogurt, juice, coffee and a variety of teas. Breakfast was enjoyed in a classic New England style dining room. Seated in large windsor chairs, we overlooked the Deerfield River and watched the river's water rush around rocks blanketed with white piles of snow as it passed a picturesque, frozen river bank. Know that there is no coffee available at the inn on Monday morning but is easily located at a number of local sites. I simply made a trip out to bring back coffee, fruit, cheese and biscuits from a local market and we ate a small breakfast in our room as we readied to both pack and prepare for our last few hours on the slopes. If the morning temperatures were not as mild as this March Monday's were I may not be as charitable in my assessment. The availability of a hot water dispenser for guests to make a cup of "instant" coffee or tea would be a welcome addition.
We enjoyed two dinner meals at the inn. One was served in the dining room, the other at a table in the inn's tavern. Each was a hearty and delicious meal and the fresh, salad bar was a welcome addition. The staff was attentive and very friendly. Tracy and Pat each took time to share warm conversation and gave kind attention to each of us. We later learned that it was Janet who moved us in to the family size room when it appeared it had not been reserved by the time of our arrival. A sincere thank you to each of you.
Our 8 year old charge was delighted with his experience at the Old Red Mill Inn and commented often as to how much he loved it there. The staff really added to his feeling welcomed and special.
We believe his stay there was as big a part of his first time, learn to ski weekend as were his lessons, his first ride to the top of Mount Snow (on his third day, not his first!) and his eagerly skiing down the Long John trail.
We are pleased we chose to stay at this wonderful, classic and charming, Vermont jewel in Wilmington. We not only made a great choice but are certain we made a great "family" memory.
We plan to visit again soon.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank SMDCT
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I had left a couple things in my room, then called a few hours after i checked out and talked to someone and gave my info so i could retrieve it. No return call from a manager. So i Went into the restaurant and asked about my things that were left and the manager of the Inn blatantly lied and said they were never found. i said to her obviously your housekeeping took off with it then cuz it doesn't just grow legs and walk out of a hotel and not turn up in the room or laundry especially when i had called about it. so wack, i used to work at a hotel and people would always leave things and we would mail their items or they would graciously say just toss it in the lost and found in case someone else needed one or whatever or we would hold it for them until they returned again....idk whats becoming of this shiesty world

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Aubrey M
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Excellent menu, with great entrees and affordable burgers!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lest77
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My family and i have been coming to the Old Red mill ever since i was a little toddler (for about 18 years). when winters come, the first thing i look forward to is our little snowboarding trip to vermont. the old red mill is truly a beautiful place. the staff is super friendly, genuine and hard working. The rooms are perfect for us, since we are on the slopes all day and just need a nice place to sleep at night. The food...THE FOOD...i cant even describe the enigma that is an old red mill dinner after a cold day outside. some of my best memories are of big juicy steaks for dinner, and then relaxing with family and friends by the cozy fire hearth. The salad bar is unparalleled, and make sure you get a table by the window at night, so you can see the half frozen brook running alongside the bank and the foggy little christmas lights across the river.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank michaeldiros
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We ran from Hurricane Irene and bizarrely found ourselves in what would become an inundated gorge (the water rose from 1-2 foot to around 9 ft overnight, then 3 ft more before we left--the place was scary--nobody else apart from one family staying, and all staff abandoned ship with the owner nowhere in sight). A rather lackadaisical check in by tapping the shoulder of the bartender got us keys. The carpet threadbare and the room scarily dorm like (but very clean!). We ate here and it was surprisingly excellent--the outdoor grill overlooking what was to become a raging torrent had a highly competent chef (although not willing to share recipes, which is his right). Maybe 8 tables, cosy, flowers, wooden floor and building. I enjoyed the meal muchly, and the waitress was down to earth, friendly at the right time, and served us very well (although on slow tico time). I would recommend the restaurant BBQ ribs, but don't expect anything at all from the dorm rooms (except cleanliness). I hope the mill was not devastated, like the rest of this pleasant sleepy village, and wish them success in their business and any needed reservations. The price was right, and you get what you pay for--$85+ doesnt get much luxury.

Room Tip: Pay the extra few dollars for a river view, you can watch the effects of the hurricane and plan your...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BritIt
oldredmill, General Manager at Old Red Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Yes, Hurricane Irene did cause me to call all the staff off on Sunday morning. I hate to think of what might have happened if everyonehad come to work. I was at the front desk for an hour before I felt it was necessary for me to leave. The owner was not able to get to The Red Mill as the roads were under water and washed out. Not seeing cars in the parking lot I must assume guests left before I arrived. Entire Village is devastated by the flood and only two or three businesses are able to continue at this time. Many months of rebuilding the Red Mill and the town are now our goal. Many videos of the Village are available on YouTube.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Snow Lake Lodge
The Wilmington Inn
The Wilmington Inn
#1 of 10 in Wilmington
Grand Summit Resort Hotel

Been to Old Red Mill? Share your experiences!