“Loved it, again”

The White House Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

We returned to the White House Inn in June. We were here 32 years ago for our honeymoon. I notice the reviews are all over the place on trip advisor. All are correct. The physical plant is dated and needs paint. The grounds need work and our room didn't have a phone or a TV. If you are looking for a sterile room with carpet please stay somewhere else. But if you want an inn with a secret stairwell and an indoor pool this may be the place for you. And, don't forget the food. The menu is limited but I would put any of the items up against any resturant in Atlanta and this place would win. The fisherman's stew is worth fighting over and my wife is having withdrawal from the lemon sorbet that is made on site. This was an exceptional weekend get away with excellent food, quaint ambience and warm welcoming hosts. We won't wait 32 years to come back again.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I just got back from the worst wedding of my life here. It was not an especially big wedding (the bride and groom kept the numbers in the range of what the inn said they could accommodate) however there were several issues that a place that hosts wedding just should not have.

Lets start with the bar. There is only one and it had only one person behind it. (though for a while there was a little portable beer/wine bar set up on the patio). The bartender seemed very overwhelmed and before the wedding even started they ran out of brandy. Throughout the night they also ran out of many of the beer and wine selections that were supposed to be available (even bud light which is what many of the younger people in the wedding were drinking) and constantly had an issue keeping clean glasses in supply. People were handing back their drink glasses for refills all night because more often than not there were no clean ones available.

Lets move on to seating/service. Despite the bride and groom cutting their numbers to meet what the inn said they could handle, the tables were squished into 3 little rooms and a patio that had dirty looking plastic enclosing it since it was cool out that night. The tables were not even big enough to accommodate the people who were supposed to be seated there and it seemed like most people were getting claustrophobic and getting up to wander between courses. There were also some seats missing and my husband ended up having to sit at a tiny table by himself since he could not physically sit at the table we were assigned.

I was also not at that table since they required kids under 12 to be in the basement. (my son was the ring bearer and I did not think that he would stay with the baby sitter downstairs by himself so I prearranged to eat down there with him). I was under the impression that there would be a table with chairs for the kids to sit at but all that was provided was a coffee table and the kids (and I) had to sit on the floor.The babysitter, one of the waitresses daughters, was very nice. However, it was going on 8pm and none of the food had been served downstairs. My husband eventually was able to get someone to bring my salad downstairs and when I asked about the kids meals the waiter told me he had "no idea" when they would be coming.

It took having to talk to several people in order to get the kids food (it was just fries and chicken fingers for God's sake) and the manager came to talk to me because by this time I was pretty upset as everyone upstairs had been fed long before. I was told that the chicken had "been burned several times" because they were so busy trying to get the food out to the adults upstairs. This imply's to me that the inn didn't care about the welfare of my son or the flower girls. Obviously since they are small and unable to stand up for themselves no one cared about them getting food. They could have brought the kids bread or crackers or something but they didn't. Also, the inn hadn't really wanted me to sit downstairs when we had been talking about this (I don't know why since they didn't even have a seat for me or my husband upstairs) so that almost makes me wonder what time the kids would have gotten their meals (or even if they would have) if I had not been down there.) My husband actually served me my steak since even after all this they couldn't figure out I was in the basement.

The next issue that I had is that they had a fireplace with an exposed pilot flame and that is where they required the kids to be. The only thing stopping the kids from getting burned was a small gate in front of the fireplace that only came up about 10 inches. In reality, it was more of a tripping hazard than anything else, and the kids had been provided with sticks with ribbons on them to play with, which easily could have caught fire. If that is where they want the kids to stay I think the flame should be off or a full fireplace screen needs to be in place. Once I realized there was a flame I did not let my son stay with the baby sitter alone.(to be honest he was only with her alone while I was trying to find the food)

Next was the bathrooms. There were only a couple and they were not being checked throughout the night. The paper towels ran out in the bathrooms right after the ceremony. Since people were wearing nice clothing, they were not wiping their hands on their clothes after washing their hands and the floors quickly became covered with water that became quite dirty from people's shoes. I had to ask that the paper towels be replaced and the floors wiped up. When I told my cousin this he got angry because he had been replacing the toilet paper in the stalls himself and when they wiped the floor they had just put paper towels down and left them and he had to pick them up.

To top off the evening, while getting my stuff out of the basement there was a large black mouse running around like he owned the place.

The next morning there was a brunch for the wedding guests with two food stations set up. They kept running out of coffee and juice glasses and people were having to go and grab plates from the station in the hall for the station in the dining room because they didn't have enough.

I do have to say the food was good. Even my cold steak was tasty and all the breakfast food was good too. Perhaps this place is not used to doing larger parties but I would never go here for an event again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Samantha S
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We frequent the White House for brunch on Sundays and we always have a fantastic time. The management staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating. My kids and their friends have a great time tubing in the winter and always end up relaxing inside with hot chocolate and great music. The food is fantastic and the atmosphere is even better, I am always pleasantly surprised by how much fun the kids have. The staff is excellent and attentive, even to the kids, and sometimes we have a crew of 6 or 8 ranging in age from 10 to 15.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed here recently and were extremely disappointed with the quality of the room for the money spent. The bathroom was an absolute joke being borderline unsanitary for how old the fixtures were. It was also tiny. The shower head alone contained bacteria unknown to most humans (must have been more than 30 years old). The Wifi kept disappearing and was snail slow. The walls were so thin we could hear every conversation in the room next to us. Very fun to listen in but not much fun knowing everything in our room could also be heard. The music at Sunday brunch was so loud and annoying it also went up in to every room. This place desperately needs updating and I'm upset we were ever here. This cost us $161 a night and should have cost about $60 a night. What a waste and a complete disappointment! The owner of this place has obviously given up.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank HeilmanD
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The rooms were clean, cozy and had a beautiful fireplace and Jacuzzi tub. The free breakfast served daily was prepared to order from the chef and was absolutely delicious. As well as the Filet Mignon we had for dinner made to perfection (perfectly medium how I love it). They also offer free water all day and free coffee until 5 pm. We were looking for a relaxing place to stay and the white house inn was it. With two excellent innkeepers (Kathleen and Aaron) the service was fantastic. Aaron is a phenomenal chef and Kathleen is a great host. The atmosphere made us feel like family which is what we were looking. Their attention to servicing guests was impeccable. We will definitely be back because of them. This inn has it all for a great getaway and to feel like family.

Room Tip: The balconies overlooking the mountains are so beautiful and breathtaking.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2013

This haunted mansion on a hill feels like the summer home for The Addams Family....it is decked with huge fireplaces, wandering rooms, ornate chandeliers, and a secret staircase with cobwebs, and a creaky iron vault door in the dungeon...I mean basement...still, the experience was otherworldly, and the food and service transcendental....and it has its own tubing park...it made my own Gold List: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfF2p2E8CII&feature=share&list=PLp5C8VqWNzAhkU-CVTlRS_YoHIKUJBMWd

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank richardjbangs
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Me and my wife were looking for a getaway where I could ski and she could relax…this was the perfect find. Friday night arriving later we had a great dinner in the Tavern with some nice conversation with the other couples there…our man Ross (bartender) took great care of us all weekend…food was great and the Inn is fantastic with fireplaces in every area (Tavern, Restaurant, sitting areas) ..the next day I got a full day in at Mt. Snow while my wife got a message right in the building and then spend the afternoon reading and napping by the fire. We had a great dinner in the restaurant on site and then moved to the Tavern again for some more conversation before falling asleep by the fire in our room the entire staff was fantastic, the Inn was neat, cozy and clean. This was a fantastic find and we will defiantly be back again.

Room Tip: fireplace rooms are very nice...could use a new mattress however.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoeyMadden
WhiteHouseInn178, Manager at The White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Thank you for your review and suggestion. We take all suggestions into consideration and will do our best to take the required action to better accommodate you and future guests. We enjoyed getting to know you and your wife and look forward to seeing you again soon. :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Old Red Mill
#8 of 10 in Wilmington
Deerhill Inn
Deerhill Inn
#1 of 12 in Dover

Been to The White House Inn? Share your experiences!