“Great place to stay”

Ranked #4 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Billerica, Massachusetts
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

The White House Inn was a great home base for us while we completed the Green Mountain Adventure Challenge in West Dover. The innkeepers were very friendly, helpful and responsive, and the inn was beautiful and clean. We were upgraded to a jacuzzi bath since we were doing a lot of hiking, and it was greatly appreciated! The food was fresh and delicious, and we really enjoyed the breakfasts and the Mexican dinner we had there. Some of the best pancakes I've ever had! If we return to Dover, we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Schenectady, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

My fiance and I spent the weekend here after purchasing a Groupon. We decided to upgrade our rooms by calling ahead and the manager was happy to change our room to a balcony for a nominal fee. It was well worth it. The inn keeper was busy when we arrived but friendly. I took the busyness as a good sign, but it would have been nice for the guests and for her (so she could have a break), to have extra help at the front desk area. Overall everything was clean save for a few cobwebs on the balcony but I chalk that up mostly to nature. We had a great time together and would definitely consider coming back.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Fan916
Rockville Centre, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We did not stay at the inn or eat at the restaurant, but we did see the Wilmington fireworks from the lawn. If you are in Wilmington on the 4th of July this is a perfect place for viewing the fireworks.The White House has ample parking and bar service. Baker's Field is fun, but this was so much better....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
B0TTiG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

My fiance (now wife) and I were looking for a weekend wedding venue with beautiful ceremony site, fine dining, and space for our reception. We found everything we were looking for at The White House Inn. An old sprawling house set in the hills of Vermont, The White House Inn has a great combo of charming appeal and plush accommodations.

The best part of having our wedding at The White House Inn was the innkeeper, Kathleen. No matter what we needed, I don't believe she ever said "no" to a single request. Although we can't say the entire weekend went perfectly, Kathleen took a huge amount of stress off of our shoulders by lending a hand whenever we needed it. In our initial visit to the Inn, we had made some suggestions for changes to the ceremony site. To our surprise, Kathleen took these requests very seriously and began renovating the space. An old outdoor pool that we weren't very fond of was filled and replaced with a brand new garden and a large fountain in the middle of the ceremony site was replaced with a small white bridge. Kathleen tended to our every whim, and it payed off on the day off the wedding.

The most talked about part of our wedding was definitely the food. Aaron, the all-star in-house chef roasted a pig for our rehearsal dinner! This wowed all of our guests. Appetizers served during cocktail hour were also a hit and were paired with a special spiked lemonade that fit our yellow themed event. Dinner featured a choice of steak, haddock, or mushroom ravioli. All of which received rave reviews.

As our event was in the late Spring (Vermont's slow season), we were able to get a great rate. The brunch we hosted the next morning was full of compliments from our guests, "Best wedding ever" and "Party of the year" to name a few. We enjoyed ourselves so much, we are now considering hosting a family reunion event here next year!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

We returned to the White House Inn in June. We were here 32 years ago for our honeymoon. I notice the reviews are all over the place on trip advisor. All are correct. The physical plant is dated and needs paint. The grounds need work and our room didn't have a phone or a TV. If you are looking for a sterile room with carpet please stay somewhere else. But if you want an inn with a secret stairwell and an indoor pool this may be the place for you. And, don't forget the food. The menu is limited but I would put any of the items up against any resturant in Atlanta and this place would win. The fisherman's stew is worth fighting over and my wife is having withdrawal from the lemon sorbet that is made on site. This was an exceptional weekend get away with excellent food, quaint ambience and warm welcoming hosts. We won't wait 32 years to come back again.

• Stayed June 2013
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

I just got back from the worst wedding of my life here. It was not an especially big wedding (the bride and groom kept the numbers in the range of what the inn said they could accommodate) however there were several issues that a place that hosts wedding just should not have.

Lets start with the bar. There is only one and it had only one person behind it. (though for a while there was a little portable beer/wine bar set up on the patio). The bartender seemed very overwhelmed and before the wedding even started they ran out of brandy. Throughout the night they also ran out of many of the beer and wine selections that were supposed to be available (even bud light which is what many of the younger people in the wedding were drinking) and constantly had an issue keeping clean glasses in supply. People were handing back their drink glasses for refills all night because more often than not there were no clean ones available.

Lets move on to seating/service. Despite the bride and groom cutting their numbers to meet what the inn said they could handle, the tables were squished into 3 little rooms and a patio that had dirty looking plastic enclosing it since it was cool out that night. The tables were not even big enough to accommodate the people who were supposed to be seated there and it seemed like most people were getting claustrophobic and getting up to wander between courses. There were also some seats missing and my husband ended up having to sit at a tiny table by himself since he could not physically sit at the table we were assigned.

I was also not at that table since they required kids under 12 to be in the basement. (my son was the ring bearer and I did not think that he would stay with the baby sitter downstairs by himself so I prearranged to eat down there with him). I was under the impression that there would be a table with chairs for the kids to sit at but all that was provided was a coffee table and the kids (and I) had to sit on the floor.The babysitter, one of the waitresses daughters, was very nice. However, it was going on 8pm and none of the food had been served downstairs. My husband eventually was able to get someone to bring my salad downstairs and when I asked about the kids meals the waiter told me he had "no idea" when they would be coming.

It took having to talk to several people in order to get the kids food (it was just fries and chicken fingers for God's sake) and the manager came to talk to me because by this time I was pretty upset as everyone upstairs had been fed long before. I was told that the chicken had "been burned several times" because they were so busy trying to get the food out to the adults upstairs. This imply's to me that the inn didn't care about the welfare of my son or the flower girls. Obviously since they are small and unable to stand up for themselves no one cared about them getting food. They could have brought the kids bread or crackers or something but they didn't. Also, the inn hadn't really wanted me to sit downstairs when we had been talking about this (I don't know why since they didn't even have a seat for me or my husband upstairs) so that almost makes me wonder what time the kids would have gotten their meals (or even if they would have) if I had not been down there.) My husband actually served me my steak since even after all this they couldn't figure out I was in the basement.

The next issue that I had is that they had a fireplace with an exposed pilot flame and that is where they required the kids to be. The only thing stopping the kids from getting burned was a small gate in front of the fireplace that only came up about 10 inches. In reality, it was more of a tripping hazard than anything else, and the kids had been provided with sticks with ribbons on them to play with, which easily could have caught fire. If that is where they want the kids to stay I think the flame should be off or a full fireplace screen needs to be in place. Once I realized there was a flame I did not let my son stay with the baby sitter alone.(to be honest he was only with her alone while I was trying to find the food)

Next was the bathrooms. There were only a couple and they were not being checked throughout the night. The paper towels ran out in the bathrooms right after the ceremony. Since people were wearing nice clothing, they were not wiping their hands on their clothes after washing their hands and the floors quickly became covered with water that became quite dirty from people's shoes. I had to ask that the paper towels be replaced and the floors wiped up. When I told my cousin this he got angry because he had been replacing the toilet paper in the stalls himself and when they wiped the floor they had just put paper towels down and left them and he had to pick them up.

To top off the evening, while getting my stuff out of the basement there was a large black mouse running around like he owned the place.

The next morning there was a brunch for the wedding guests with two food stations set up. They kept running out of coffee and juice glasses and people were having to go and grab plates from the station in the hall for the station in the dining room because they didn't have enough.

I do have to say the food was good. Even my cold steak was tasty and all the breakfast food was good too. Perhaps this place is not used to doing larger parties but I would never go here for an event again

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Samantha S
Riverhead, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We frequent the White House for brunch on Sundays and we always have a fantastic time. The management staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating. My kids and their friends have a great time tubing in the winter and always end up relaxing inside with hot chocolate and great music. The food is fantastic and the atmosphere is even better, I am always pleasantly surprised by how much fun the kids have. The staff is excellent and attentive, even to the kids, and sometimes we have a crew of 6 or 8 ranging in age from 10 to 15.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
The Nutmeg
#4 of 12 in Dover
Snow Goose Inn
Snow Goose Inn
#5 of 12 in Dover

Been to The White House Inn? Share your experiences!