“Lovely Stay”

The White House Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Just returned from a lovely stay at The White House Inn. I was greeted by Aubrey who was very kind and gracious. She gave me a tour of the Inn as I love old homes and this certainly is an old home turned into an inn. There was not a lot of activity as I stayed mid-week and the restaurant was closed. I was aware of this as I made my reservation. They do provide guests a breakfast but it is served around 8am and that was too late for me. This is truly a beautiful place though it needs a lot of TLC. There are so many wonderful architectural details throughout the building that need proper attention and I hope in time they are addressed. This place has the potential to be grand! If you are planning a stay during winter months I feel it is important for you to know that it is a cold building. Aubrey provided me with an electric heater for the room and I kept a fire going in the fireplace til I fell asleep. I did have to make a few trips on my own out back to get wood after the office was closed but I'm a hardy New Englander and that didn't bother me but it might bother you. The White House Inn is home to the Serenity Spa which deserves tremendous praise. I treated myself to a massage and a facial. Laura gave me my massage and I have had few massages as SPIRITUAL as this one! Laura not only is a certified masseuse but also has extensive yoga training. She combines both in a massage session. I had the hot oil candle massage for 55 minutes and next time I'm taking the 75 minute one … WORTH EVERY PENNY! This is a massage where you do not speak a word…you simply breathe, listen to the Tibetin Monks and relax. Laura rubs the hot oil candle into your body, manipulates your body and limbs and focused on balancing my energy and I'm telling you it was one of THE BEST massages I have ever had. Kathleen gave me a facial after the massage and Kathleen is a lovely woman, and my facial was wonderful! It has been about a year since I have had a facial and now that I am home I still feel like my face is exhibiting that healthy glow! Despite the coldness indoors I will return to The White House Inn again…hopefully soon.

Room Tip: If you stay in the winter be sure to have a room with a fireplace and extra wood if you stay up late...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kelly S
There are newer reviews for The White House Inn

Reviewed 6 January 2014

In spite of the cold, we enjoyed another perfect winter weekend at the White House Inn. For the true flavor of Vermont, this historic Inn is the best place to stay. The staff is always friendly, welcoming and very helpful with any request, from vegetarian meals to local attractions. After a great day of skiing, we treated ourselves to hot-stone massages by Laura at the Spa (and the experience was better than Canyon Ranch), then we recovered with an excellent meal in our private dining room with a roaring fireplace. If you are looking for a Marriot, this Inn is not for you, but if you want to stay in a wonderful, rambling, historic and friendly Inn, the White House is not to be missed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three night over New Year eve and all in all had very good time. This is an old grand residence turned into an inn. The house is beautiful and retained some original pieces that are fun to discover. It sits on a hill at an angle to the road and looks as amazing when you approach it as its surroundings when viewed from your room or the porch. The rooms are for the most part nicely appointed and welcoming, and very clean. The entire staff is pleasant and very helpful. A few issues encountered during our stay, were addressed and resolved immediately. You get a sense that people who work here genuinely enjoy their work and do their best to provide for an enjoyable experience for their guests. A few things that we noted during our stay might not be apparent to a non-guest and I hope that the staff will make the necessary changes to improve the experience of their future visitors. I would definitely recommend his place, maybe with a few caveats:
* the check-in vs. entrance positioned very awkwardly
* the rooms are very cold in winter. We heard this complaint from every guest we talked to. Innkeeper placed a portable heater in our room and let us keep it for the duration of the stay which helped. But the house itself including breakfast room and downstairs common area are freezing as well. Fireplaces help but only in the immideate vicinity.
* The downstairs common area needs some adjustments. The billiard table is positioned in such a way that it leaves practically no room on either side of it. These area also needs a fresh coat of paint and a more cohesive decorating scheme. Keeping in tune with the period is great but peeling paint and a mismatch of old furniture just takes away from the authenticity.
* we stayed in room 111 which has entrance only from the porch not the house itself (same for room 112). I don't remember seeing this on the website and this was not mentioned when I called to inquire about the room. It might be ok in the warmer month, but is definetly an issue during winter. There is probably nothing that can be done about this but it should be disclosed to the prospective guests.
*bathrooms need some shelves and hooks
*period iron bed has very intricate headboard which is beautiful until you bang your head on it for the fifth time. Thicker pillows and four instead of two will solve this issue easily
All in all, this is a very nice place and just needs some attention to details to make it as great as it can be

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at the inn for our honeymoon and were delighted with the place. The staff was wonderful--helpful and polite. We dined two nights at the restaurant and had fantastic meals both nights. Breakfast was also delicious, with a small but suitable menu. The location was convenient to hiking trails and skiing locations for those so inclined. We also took advantage of the on-site spa and enjoyed a relaxing massage after a day of hiking. We will definitely visit the Inn again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sawmill_Nonnas, Manager at The White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for your trip adviser review of the White House Inn. We very much appreciate all the feedback and can not wait for your return visit with us.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We recently spent a couple nights at the Inn.. and Jill, Al and Pam were so warm and welcoming.
The restaurant was only open one night we were there.. (we knew ahead of time when we booked they would be closed) but after our one dinner in the restaurant wish we could have had a second meal.. Small menu but it was so good. Breakfast.. home made to order were just as good.. I recommend the blueberry pancakes.. so very good.. Our room was very Comfy.. Rm 2. We had a beautiful porch to sit out on.. however the weather turned cold and damp.. so only enjoyed it for a short period.. It was spotless.. clean ... yes the Inn is alittle dated but has lots of Charm.Next time I would want to go when everything is open and alittle busier to enjoy this inn.
My only complaint is that the bar is not open to sit and relax every evening. CLosed so early the first night .. I know there were not alot of us staying at the Inn but other folks I spoke with .. wished the same thing..

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so very much for your trip adviser review of the White House Inn. We would love for you to stay with us again and can not wait for your return visit. Please check out our upcoming events son to be on our webpage. Thank you the White House Staff.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

The orginal structure was done very well, however, the entire place needs help. A good interior designer who has an eye for strategically placing some beautiful original antiques amongst the hallways, stairwells and rooms, would do the place justice, as well as selecting some warmer brighter paint colors on the walls. Our room and bathroom did not have any blinds. Needs a good landscaper to take care of the property.So called gardens have been horribly neglected. Restaurant offers good choices and very tasty dishes. Breakfast was also very good, as well as the coffee. Inn keeper couldn't have been nicer. Also, registering versus entering the building needs some re-routing.

2  Thank hawley1253

Thank you for letting us know where we need some improvement. We are a new staff on board and are getting acquainted with the property each and every day. We have already placed some new shades in some of the rooms and plan on continuing throughout the year. We have a new gardener on staff and he has winterized the gardens for a beautiful spring bloom. We hope that you come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

If you are looking for a great location in New England/Vermont to hold a wedding or important event, I could not recommend the White House Inn more highly. The Inn sits on a hill with an incredible view of the Vermont hills and is the perfect size for an intimate wedding with room to spread out or come together as desired. Three weeks before my daughter's wedding we were told that the Inn had a new General Manager, new staff and a new chef. This concerned us greatly as we did not know what to expect. As it turned out, this was a significant blessing that took my daughter's wedding to an even higher level as a unique and special event. We held the rehearsal dinner, wedding and Sunday branch at the Inn. The new General Manger, Jill Byarm is a very experienced, enthusiastic and responsive manager who leads a motivated and friendly staff. Chef Liz creates magic with food and worked successfully to meet our desires. All of our guests raved about the food as being outstanding. Jill, Al, Pam, Robert and Chef Liz worked enthusiastically to respond to any request or need that made this a wonderful experience for all. Thank you.

Room Tip: Many rooms have fireplaces. They have a few dog friendly rooms. My wife and I stayed in a dog frie...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Davidb1112013

Thank you so very much for your wonderful trip advisor review of your daughter and son in law's wedding here at the White House Inn. Your review meant so much to our staff here. So many smiles and joy each time one of them read the review you wrote. We take pride in everything we try and do and will continue to give our best forward.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Old Red Mill
Snow Goose Inn
Snow Goose Inn
#5 of 12 in Dover
Grand Summit Resort Hotel

Been to The White House Inn? Share your experiences!